Which tenants would you choose? Boys for more or girls for less?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Momentum, 15th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Which tenants would you choose?

1. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. 3

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  4. 4

12 vote(s)
    70.6%
  1. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

Hi, I received 11 applications for a place and this is the short list.

One application is offering $40pw more at $660pw instead of $620pw but they're all male uni students with financial help from their parents. I've asked the PM if they're Asian and if they are then I'll probably choose them.

The vacating tenants are all girls and kept the place immaculate so I'm also tempted to choose application #4 but is there anything else I should consider? Maybe I should ask #4 if they can increase their offer by $10pw and give it to them?

Which tenants would you choose?

1. Natalie / Dylan and Alex – all 3 are students at University of Melbourne.

Natalie has a part time job as Barista has been there for nearly 1 year as a casual employee earning $20,800 p.a.

Dylan is also working as a casual as admin and office support started this month, no salary confirmation as of yet.

Alex also has a casual role as a waitress been there for 10months earning $23+ p.h

The girls have offered to pay $630 p.w instead of $620.

2. Jack / Will / Elizabeth – all sharers offering to pay 2 months in advance

Jack is working full time as events and operations manager earning $60k pa previously rented though an agent reference pending.

Elizabeth is a student at the university of Melbourne works part time as a gardener for the last 18 months earning $30k pa, has been living with parents prior to moving out.

Will is working full time as a landscape architect earning around $45k pa, has been for the last 10 months previously rented through another agent since 2011.

3. Peter / Raymond / Egon – offering $660 pw

Peter is a student at university of Melbourne works casually as a tutor and also has support from parents.

Egon also a student plus support from parents – works casually as food and beverage assistant since August, wages to be confirmed.

Raymond is also a student with support from parents working casually as a waiter for the last year earning around 6k pa.

4. Abigail and Erin / Jillian all 3 in full time employment

Jillian is a classroom teacher earning 64k pa.

Erin works as a kitchen attendant causally earning 28k pa.

Abigail is also working full time for nearly 1 year earning 55k pa.

Last edited by a moderator: 3rd May, 2017
    EN710 and Gockie like this.
  2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Solid applications. You are lucky! :)

You didn't say how much Abigail Erin Jillian all 3 in full time employment are offering.

"is there anything else I should consider?"

Yes, references, references, references. Just because someone has money doesn't mean they will be a good tenant. I also consider ethnic background. All of my Indian tenants have kept my rental properties immaculate for example.

kierank likes this.
  3. Momentum

Cheers Perthdude, yes it was good to hear all 11 parties who turned up for the inspection also put in an application. I timed the lease to start at the sweet time of 09/01/2017 so that might've also helped. The above short list was a copy/paste from the PM's email and she didn't mention what #4 offered so I'm guessing their offer is at the advertised price of $620pw.

I'm not racist but also consider ethnic background and if #3 are Asian students then my stereotype of them might sway in their favour if they're not party types who trash the place.. although they could have parties and invite Aussies over who do the trashing :/

I think I'll get the PM to email #4 and say something like:
    Hi girls, there's been strong demand with people making offers of $630-660pw and 2 months rent in advance; however the landlord thinks you have a strong application and he'll give it to you if you can come up a bit from the asking price.

Or does that sound like I'm a dick?

4. zlatan9

zlatan9 Well-Known Member

1. Natalie, Dylan and Alex are party animals. They'll have a housewarming and someone will spill red wine. In 2 years' time they'll either be bffs for life or enemies. If any two (or three) likes the same boy you'll be getting a notice to vacate after 6 months.

2. Liz will have a crush on Will, Will likes Jack, Jack is dating someone at work. Household becomes unbearable and Liz will move out, or Jack moves to London. I give this 12 months.

3. Egon and Ray are probably gamers. Household will be messy and dirty but at least rent is paid and Peter will make sure they all pay their rent on time. They'll continue sharing until someone graduates.

4. Erin will probably find her share of the rent a bit high but going 3 way on rent is better than sharing with just one other. Jill may move schools and is saving for a house. Abi will probably move in with her boyfriend or move to London. All within 18 months. Your house will be clean and smell nice though.

I pick number 3 but the place will smell like takeout and pizza.

5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

kierank likes this.
  6. Ouchmyknees

Ouchmyknees Well-Known Member

Don't start a sentence with "I'm not racist but..." As it suggests otherwise. ;p

Ok jokes aside, if the students are rich Asians who get support from mum and dad, why do they work part time? The parents wouldn't want them to work as they prefer them to "concentrate on studying."

Also why would they offer 40 more? Is this because it's difficult for them to find a place (but why) so they are desperate?

Yes agree with check reference.

legallyblonde and Momentum like this.
  7. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Asian students with rich parents.... hmmmm.
    No responsibility
    Lazy
    Usually smoke

Vs

People who work
    Commitment
    Can't party, because they have work

The Asian stereotype u have is just silly.

8. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Depends on the likes of Asian you got.... many, students and workers, are smokers. Male can be messy but many are neat, female are the same. Busy working people in general might not have time to party as much as they have no time to clean.

1. Not sure. Do they all have reliable income?
    2. I have the feeling the other 2 renters will change quickly while 1 stay on lease
    3. Really depends on personality
    4. Similar with #2

Perthguy and Momentum like this.
  9. Matt E

Matt E Active Member

What option is your PM advising? They should have the best perspective because they've spoken to the applicants and their references. After all, the PM is responsible for ensuring the rent is collected and the property is cared for - its in their interests to get you the option that best achieves these aims.

On paper with the limited info, steer away from racial stereotypes and go with the full-time employees in either option 2 or 4. They are the most stable choices, whereas students travel more often and haven't yet committed to having a stable, long-term address. I've had both great tenants and terrible tenants of every racial background, it makes no difference in assessing their applications.

HUGH72 and Momentum like this.
  10. ramblin72

ramblin72 Well-Known Member

If your property needs any landscaping, I'd be going with option 2 :)

Momentum and Gockie like this.
  11. Momentum

I just got this email back from PM so I think I'll give it to #4..

They are all Aussie background, they are super keen on the property hence the 660 offer but I did think about all 3 being males. But as the offer was higher I thought you would like to consider.

If it was up to me I would choose the mixed 3, all 3 are in jobs and one studying. They gave rental histories as well which is a good indication of how they will be.

I do have another application for a couple and mother in law but the information hadn't all been received.
    From what I know all 3 are working no students, no pets. They are sending over the last bit of info today for me to review. I can send you a little blurb about them.

12. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

I think I lived in all of these households in my early twenties, and have a couple of IPs now with the same.

Whatever group you pick you're very likely to have regular revolving tenants. Someone will move out at least every six months and get replaced by a friend.

13. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I hope they're not their real names, otherwise I would think listing their names and details is a bit on the nose!
    Would you want your annual income to be posted on a public forum?

Gingin, Sticky and WattleIdo like this.
  14. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

The couple and mother-in-law sound promising. Probably less chance of the revolving door you might get with four young people.

15. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

@zlatan9 love your summary of things ! Agree group 2 will become a problem. Put a young chap with a physical job in a house with two quite different girls and there's going to be heartbreak somewhere along the line haha

16. 733

733 Well-Known Member

Its not legal to have rental price bids

Excellent references and excellent payment histories support informed decision making

17. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

That's a great result for all of them.

Just choose one!

Gypsyblood and Perthguy like this.
  18. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Given the choice I would probably choose a male based household with good rental references. If they have none then references from employers.

Providing they stick to the age old rule of 'bros before hos' they will live harmoniously more than 3-4 girls and not need to swap tenants in and out due to someone leaving.

I'm not sexist but ....... :p

Perthguy likes this.
  19. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Lock in #4 Eddie

20. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

The comments in this post are actually sexist and disrespectful of women, despite the smiley-faced claim at the end.

VeronicaR, Toon and Gingin like this.