ASX Shares Which platform do you use for trading?

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Tenex, 12th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

It's capped at $600 per annum.

2. FatElephant

FatElephant Well-Known Member

I have to agree with this, I have considered whether I should go for the Vanguard Personal investor account vs a broker (SelfWealth). But since the brokerage free is only limited to Vanguard ETFs and I have selected a few ETFs for my foundation portfolio but I didn't want to limit my selection to just Vanguard products only.

And when I start buying through Vanguard, I would risk getting complacent and not be bothered to move my investments as soon as the ongoing annual fee outweighs the cost of brokerage. Whereas for brokerage, I would always be mindful of comparing brokerage costs between different providers every time I make a conscious decision to trade.

The best thing I would be doing is to ensure I minimise the number of times I trade. Instead of monthly, maybe once per quarter or half yearly.

I can see how it can make sense if you started off with a bigger account balance though. But I'm starting off with a smaller amount and adding to it so paying brokerage makes for sense for me. Just my 2 cents!

3. Ross36

Ross36 Well-Known Member

Which is more than a trade per week using selfwealth. I think it might make sense for someone looking to DCA in each week/fortnight from their pay, but my concern is the inability to leave the platform without a CGT event. Looking through their docs it says you have to either sell or transfer out. Not sure what the latter means. Doesn't suit me enough to look into it any more but if someone finds out please post here.

4. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

.2% isn't cheap and capped at $600pa until it isn't. Fees and charges are subject to change. As a long term accumulator I see this as a risk. Chess holdings cost me a one off brokerage fee when I buy and no "holding" fee forever.

Redwing and Ross36 like this.