Which plants?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by gman65, 29th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

So I've finished my garden bed I've been building for my place. Came up quite nicely I think.. Yes, I have since mowed the grass since then :oops:

Now I need some suggestions on what plants to put in there. Want something pretty low maintenance as I don't have much time to spend on watering/etc.

Going to put a few small palms in there I think, but after any other suggestions. It's about 15m x 2m so fair bit of space to play with.

Location gets about 6 hours solid sunlight a day, rest is in shade.

Attached Files:

2. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Everything gets Yukkas for me. I bought a place with Yukkas, and now I just cut the tops off them all when I want a new garden and stick the tops in the ground. They grow.

Edit: I didn't buy a place with them. I bought three for three pots. They have since filled three gardens, along with a few that I took cuttings off elsewhere along the way.

Last edited: 29th Feb, 2016
    Propertunity likes this.
  3. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Yukkas are hard to kill, if you just want something green then you can't go wrong.

Myself I either like a native garden or one that is productive - fruit trees etc. Not exactly like maintenance.

From the photo there is 3 spans of fencing behind the garden, if it's 15m like you say then it's pretty sparse on the upright fence posts. I thought 2.4 to 3m spacing for uprights is standard. Can anyone tell me?

4. S1mon

S1mon Well-Known Member

yukkas are too spiky, avoid. palms also suck

Lizzie and Bran like this.
  5. magpieseason

magpieseason Well-Known Member

Is that your backyard ? Already have a vege patch? A front yard vege patch is cool too.
    A few dwarf fruit trees and suitable veges for this time of year.
    Yukkas are super easy to grow and maintain , bit boring though.

Last edited: 1st Mar, 2016
  6. A Jeremy

A Jeremy Active Member

I tend to use the same plants on all of my properties so that I can make cuttings from them and grow them for future properties. It mostly a combination of natives and succulents. Here are some of the plants that I use:

Medium and Small Shrubs

Buxus Faulkner
    Murraya Min a Min
    Nandina domestica
    Pittosporum Shorty
    Spirea cantoniensis
    Abelia grandiflora Dwarf
    Crassula arborescens

Groundcovers / Climbers
    Erigeron karvinskianus
    Trachelospermum Tricolour

Tuft Plants
    Dietes bicolor
    Lomandra Crackerjack
    Liriope Stripy White

gman65 likes this.
  7. vtt

vtt Well-Known Member

Palms are perfect if you are going for a 1970s look. Otherwise avoid.

What about Lilly Pillies (can get dwarf versions), murraya (great fragrance when in flower) and even Chinese star jasmine as a climber or ground cover.

8. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I have lilly pillies and/or murray a in all my places, but someone needs to hedge them and then trim the hedge. No issues to date, but its easy to see happening.

Actually, I have a murraya in my new place. Im trimming it tomorrow with a chainsaw. 5-6 years of neglect

9. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Yukkas seem to be in every new reno I see up here... I have a couple in pots, they are hard to kill though.

That is side, prop is close to north facing so it gets mainly sun from 9 to 3. Most vegetables would die I think due to the heat, and not quite enough shade there. I could probably get them to grow with enough work, but low maintenance is the key for me. The many birds/crows around here would probably make short work of them too.

Not that unhappy with the 70's look, I live in QLD they are everywhere :) House is also 60 years old so I'm not necessarily going for ultra-modern here.

Thanks all for the suggestions, I will have a look at those and see what I like. Will go for a mix of things. I'm not a huge gardener, but likewise I like something more interesting than plain grass.

Last edited: 1st Mar, 2016
  10. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Are they thing and sparse or dense? I'm pretty happy with my murraya because they are dense and good for screening the front yard. I'm going to add liriope as a short hedge to give it layered look.

@gman65 i would avoid yukka as they are hard to kill, very hard to kill. you can have shrubs and groundcover....the raised garden bed does make it look like a vegie garden. or maybe just have big potted plants ..yukka in pots will make it look good.

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.