which online/cloud storage do you use for your IP records?

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Eric Wu, 16th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Andrew H

Andrew H Well-Known Member

Am i missing something how much data are we talking about - sounds like everyone is storing A LOT of data? How much can you possilbly have?
    I use 'Genius scan app' on my mobile to scan/keep records of all my receipts/bills/ whatever. Which can be added and seperated for each property. Which i "backup" just by emailing myself from time to time, you can have folders in most online email hosts for each property to store the bills/receipts.

Then i have a 1 excel spreadsheet for all the properties on a seperate tab + Personal tax for me and the wife also on seperate tab. Thats it and its up to date at tax time?
    If we are talking about photos i would just email them to myself and access them via the folders with my online email account same as receipts and bills.

Last edited: 18th Dec, 2015
  2. citystar

citystar Well-Known Member

I use Google Drive to store my IP related spreadsheets and files online. I keep a backup on my personal computer and on USB encrypted inside a Truecrypt folder as redundancy.

3. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Dropbox and Google drive are fine...

If you are really paranoid, try an offering from Amazon Web Service- but itll likely be more expensive.

4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I've used Dropbox for documents, but when I started to get too many photos for the space I had I went for Google Drive paid extra space. I had previously used Flickr for photos but when I hadn't used it for a while I lost my account.

5. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Crashplan is intended to be used as a disaster-recovery service - you set it up, let it run in the background and then only access it if you need to recover files.

If file sharing is your primary goal, I agree that Dropbox or similar tools are much better suited.

6. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

how do you link Google Drive to Crashplan?

7. Simon Hampel

You don't.

You install the Google Drive application on your local computer which syncs your Google Drive folders to your hard drive so you can access them offline (works pretty much the same way that Dropbox does).

You then just include that folder in your Crashplan backup set and it will back it up automatically.

Eric Wu likes this.
  8. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

This is true .

We haven't linked back up to crash plan since we moved house , but started using drop box for storage of our critical data and have it synced across several computers .

Have to put crash plan back into action ....

Cliff

9. Davothegreat

Davothegreat Well-Known Member

FYI Truecrypt is no longer being developed so be prepared to change to something else the moment someone cracks it. Not a problem until this happens, just be mindful.

citystar likes this.
  10. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

thanks Simon, will try it out over the Xmas break, appreciated.

11. DanW

DanW Well-Known Member

Have tested both alot. Google drive cannot meet Dropbox performance for syncing large files.

Dropbox works great and it's their main business unlike Google's drive.

12. Simon Hampel

Meh - it's all background transfers so performance isn't typically an issue in my experience.

retire@45 likes this.
  13. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Performance matters a lot when you're travelling, and trying desperately to get your photos uploaded while you still have wifi.

14. DanW

DanW Well-Known Member

Agree. I'm typically on the road 3 days a week, even in Sydney on client sites I'm using mobile broadband.

To give an example of other slow syncs, I tried to put my 120gb of Dropbox files into google drive and after 2 weeks at home on cable internet it still hadn't finished syncing.

15. Jayy

Jayy Active Member

I feel like the odd one out here.. Does anyone else use iCloud? I know it's not exactly designed for Organising data, more so a back up. But you can place documents into folders etc. I find it convenient to use as I do most of my IP work from my iPhone/iPad. I also back up to a hard drive every 2-3 months (should do it more often) and have a printed copy of everything that's on the cloud.

16. Simon Hampel

If you're using that much data and moving large volumes around regularly - why not just use something like Amazon S3 for bulk storage? You should get pretty fast data transfer to their Sydney data centre.

17. DanW

DanW Well-Known Member

Mainly because Dropbox has such good integration with alot of apps that I use. For example my calibre ebook collection can be accessed easily via calibre cloud app.

Also I've used Dropbox over 5 years and never had issue. If it ain't broke I'm not going to fix it. The speed goes up to my bandwidth so I don't need to switch to Amazon.

Other thing is I've a large collection of shared folders other people use. It's been really great so far.

18. proper_noobie

proper_noobie Well-Known Member

There are no known cryptographic weaknesses for an encrypted truecrypt 7.1 container. If there were, there'd be no point ever using the app. Unless syncing the TC container, it's interesting that the bloke uses virtually unbreakable crypto (truecrypt) on his computer, then a closed source commercial cloud storage that reports indicate have had vulnerabilities and data breaches.

My analogy is like using an unbreakable padlock and a piece of string to secure a bicycle.
    However, if syncing only the true/Veracrypt container to drop box, that's a great solution because drop box supports delta syncing, meaning only the changed part of the file is synced, saving a lot of time and bandwidth.