which loan to take?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by SarahJ, 12th Mar, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. SarahJ

SarahJ Well-Known Member

Hello all.. im borrowing up to 95% loan and im torn between a higher rate that is fixed or a lower rate that is variable. Currently westpac offer 2.29% variable but no offset account!
    And if i wanna find something with offset account i gotta go higher, and pay an annual fee.
    fix rate is up to 2.99% but limits extra payment and offset is only 4%.

care to advise which is better? I wanted to go for 2.29% but thought i might be enjoying 2.29% for one month only if it changes next month and losing the benefit of an offset account?

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Too many unknowns to comment.... for example, is it for a PPOR or IP? What is your tax bracket?
    How much is the monthly fee? Are they IO or P&I?

The Y-man

3. SarahJ

SarahJ Well-Known Member

Its first home owner buying an established house for owner occupancy. It will be P&I.
    No monthly fee for the one without offset.. or annually 369 and higher rate for one with offset..

And how often does variable interest changes? Do they change monthly?

4. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

How much money do you expect to put into, or be putting into, the offset account (e.g. via savings)?

Terry_w likes this.
  5. SarahJ

SarahJ Well-Known Member

i reckon all my money will be in there! eventually at least 10-20k i reckon. all savings will go into offset.. naturally i would go for the lowest rate. But lowest rate doesnt mean i enjoy the lowest rate the next month? how often does rate change for mortgage? and if it changes to a high rate and no offset account i reckon its kinda silly?

6. SarahJ

SarahJ Well-Known Member

also... out of curiousity.. why sign on to a low variable rate that is promoted by a lender... when it can change the following month? is this how variable work? changing every month?

7. The Y-man

Other than introductory "honeymoon" rates, variable follows movement of the reserve rates (+ markup)

The Y-man

8. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

how do you think variable rates work? A rate that doesn't change would be called a..... fixed?

And when rates go down, variable rates will go down too (as many have enjoyed over the last couple of years).

9. SarahJ

SarahJ Well-Known Member

would you fix a rate now at this point? is interest rate still low? well pardon me cos this is the first loan in my entire 23years :)

10. The Y-man

I personally won't because I may sell. It varies from person to person about their plans.

Another factor is what the break costs are.

The Y-man

11. The Y-man

Your best bet is probably to talk to a broker about your plans and situation.

The Y-man

12. SarahJ

SarahJ Well-Known Member

i always thought when variable rate goes up.. fix rate does too.. so even when you're on variable and the rate goes up.. u're still generally lower than the new fix?

13. The Y-man

What a fixed rate gives you is the ability to lock in a certain rate for 3,5 or even 10 years.
    For this privilege, the bank needs to calculate what to charge you based on what they think rates will do in the future.

A good bank will make sure that if you take fixed rates, you will end up paying more than the variable across a fixed term.

The Y-man

14. SarahJ

SarahJ Well-Known Member

a good bank will make sure you end up paying MORE than variable if u are on fix? good in the sense that they are good at making money?

15. The Y-man

Of course. A bank that loses money will go bust, or will need to raise fund through illegal/unethical means right?

Even a credit union must not lose money.

Also remember the profits of a bank feed thousands or retirees who rely on the dividends, as do many who have money in superannuation.

The Y-man

16. SarahJ

SarahJ Well-Known Member

well i understand.. sometimes fix rate do sound too good to be true to think that you are on a good rate for years .. they dont do losing business

17. The Y-man

Correct - that's why I tend to treat fixed rates as a means to be able to plan cashflow with a degree of confidence, and if I save money, it is a bonus.

Having said that (and here's to *really* confuse you :D) I hear now is actually a one of those odd times when it is great to fix, because interest rates may go up more than the banks predict! :eek:

The Y-man

18. SarahJ

SarahJ Well-Known Member

i've been hearing many things and thats the reason why i am here to get some feedback and understanding. i know at the end of the day it really "depends" on different circumstances. im a first home buyer with low deposit and might struggle if interest rate shoots up.. so i wanna be clear on what the benefit is on signing a "promotion rate" which is so attractive.. because it is so low.. and yet im confuse on what is the point of signing on this attractive rate when it might go as high as the fix rate that im looking now? haha

for example westpac has got a variable rate of 2.49%.. and fix rate of 2.99% .. why would any one sign on to the low rate when it might get over the fix rate in a few months time?

19. SarahJ

SarahJ Well-Known Member

they also have a basic variable at 2.49% .. and another standard variable at 3.29% .. why split them into two different packages when the basic can end up at the same rate as the standard variable? am i understanding this right? 2.49% can eventually become 3.29 or even 4% ? and what happen to their standard variable rate? goes up to 5% 6% ?

20. JimmyB

JimmyB Member

Definitely see a broker. Probably split the loan. Get some certainty from a fix and keep some variable to offet.
    I’m fixed at 1.99% and 2.29% so shows that fixed makes sense if you pick it right.

Westminster likes this.