VIC Which IP is better value?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by K@thy T, 9th Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Which IP location is better value?

1. Walking distance to train station

19 vote(s)
    90.5%
  2. Walking distance to major shopping centre

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. K@thy T

K@thy T Active Member

Hi all,
    If there were two houses that are comparable to each other, but one is closer to a train station and the other is closer to a major shopping centre, which one would you choose?

2. hvdw87

hvdw87 Well-Known Member

Not quite enough information to be able to answer the question.

Where is this property? What type of property is it and who is the target market? Is it a significant shopping precinct (Chadstone etc)?

For instance an inner/middle ring suburb targeting young professionals (likely working in the city), I would say the train station is more important.

A large family home in a more rural location (Geelong/Ballarat), maybe the shopping centre adds more.

In general for me though, the train station is more important.

K@thy T likes this.
  3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

All things being equal and the train station isn't too close to the house, then I'd go train station.

K@thy T likes this.
  4. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Well-Known Member

When was the last time you went shopping? Bricks and mortar shopping is on the decline.

People will always need transport, even more as population increases but as said above, don't want to be too close to tracks or even station for that matter.

5. korando1234

korando1234 Well-Known Member

I used to live 5 (literal) minutes walking from the train platform and it was the best thing ever.. I now live 3km from station and it adds at least 30 mins to my commute every day (vs. shops one or twice a fortnight). I also had no car (saved heaps) and used uber when needed for short trips..

So yes, near station.. oh and living near the tracks wasn't a problem for me (I'm assuming some people are concerned about noise maybe)

K@thy T likes this.
  6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Station wins with me too. I don't carry a trolley of groceries from the shops.

K@thy T likes this.
  7. Momoko

Momoko Member

You don't walk to shopping centres as you won't be able to walk back with tons of stuff you buy.. I prefer the house to be a little further away from shopping centre so I get less less noise, traffic and vandalism.

Train station!

K@thy T likes this.

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.