Which insurance to buy before settlement?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Shaz87, 14th Aug, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Shaz87

Shaz87 Member

I am buying an investment property in QLD and the agreement with the seller is that I will be able to conduct open homes once the contract is unconditional.

The seller is asking me to buy insurance. If prospective tenants or property manager damage anything during inspections, will landlord insurance cover these events? If not, can someone please recommend a insurance to purchase?

2. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

Landlord insurance will cover anything to do with renting the property including public liability.

Building/Contents insurance will cover the structure, fixtures & fittings, as well as contents, although your personal items are not in there yet they may be things in the property such as floating floor boards which get classed under the contents insurance.

3. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

I believe you should be insured once you're unconditional, regardless of whether they've asked you to or not.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  4. Coconutwheels

Coconutwheels Well-Known Member

Yes from memory in QLD you should have insurance from exchange?

5. ChrisP73

ChrisP73 Well-Known Member

Legal issue. Depends on the contract. Many people don't realise for REIQ standard contract liability is with the buyer from Contract Date.

Well actually 5pm first business day after Contract Date.

Attached Files:

6. NedKelly

NedKelly Well-Known Member

I am buying a villa in a gated community in Queensland to rent out and the seller is an owner occupier who plans to live there until settlement. I spoke with my insurance broker about getting insurance as per the REIQ and she said that as the property is not tenanted then Landlord insurance will not cover anything. She also said that the Body Corporate would cover the building so don't worry about getting insurance until settlement. This seems at odds with the REIQ. Any suggestions?

7. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

I'm not qualified to provide insurance advice, so take this with a grain of salt, but I was under the impression you were only supposed to need your Building Insurance prior to settlement, which sounds like it's covered by the body corporate anyway?

8. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

True but the issue would be the addtional items not covered by building that could be damaged - floor coverings, curtains, etc.

It's a hairy one allowing people through prior to ownership. It's always seemed strange to me that you can take out insurance and potentially have to claim on a property you don't even own yet.

- Andrew

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia