Which insurance policy covers the roof in a strata unit?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Tony66, 23rd May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Tony66

Tony66 Well-Known Member

Hope someone can recommend me a Insurance provider which provides a cover for an accidental damage to the roof in a strata unit due to a natural cause such as mild storm, rain water ?

I was told the main Landlord insurance policies (EBM & TS) would not offer building cover if it is a strata titled.
    Then the Strata Insurance told me they would only cover the damage to internal structure (such as wall, plaster) if water leaked through, but they would not cover the accidental damage to roof unless it was a catastrophic damage.

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

I'd expect that building insurance taken out by the Body Corporate would cover storm damage to the roof.

JacM and Tony66 like this.
  3. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Yep, Body Corporate would be the first port of call.

Tony66 likes this.
  4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

A "mild" storm or rainwater should not cause damage to a sound roof, unless it caused a tree branch to fall, which would be clearly seen.

It sounds like a maintenance issue, a strata responsibility.
    Marg

JacM and Tony66 like this.
  5. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

I would agree that it's the BC as well unless by chance you're talking about the ceiling in which case it can differ a little.

Tony66 likes this.
  6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The BC policy will cover the building itself. Most building policies cover storm damage as such but thats very different to a leak. For storm damage to the roof to be a valid claim most policies require an event such as an impact (tree, aircraft, hail etc) or wind that damages the integrity unless its excluded (eg cyclone).

Then the roof and water damage is storm damage otherwise the water damage only is covered. A leak due to deluge may not be covered but the LL policy may cover it for the consequential damage.

Check BOTH policies for what is covered and its terms and what is not covered and its terms

7. Tony66

Tony66 Well-Known Member

Thanks for everyone,

Is the maintenance of the roof in a strata title unit is a strata responsibility?

When I purchased the B&P inspector didn't report anything wrong with the roof, but then after the storm/heavy rain the tiles and metal sheets moved and water leaked.
    Also leaf debris blocked some drains to make things worse. The leak never occurred before the storm.
    Roof plumbers don't do any work if weather is bad and that let more water to leaked in several areas.

Paul@PFI
    CHU strata insurance policy would cover the damage on a replacement basis only .
    But when I rang them ,CHU said they cant pay for the roof repair but damage to walls and the plasters .(basically to fix the plaster and repaint).

Policy 1 - Insured property. What is insured?
    The Building and Common Area Contents are covered against ACCIDENTAL LOSS OR DAMAGE on a replacement (new for old) basis up to:
    The sum insured for buildings and The sum insured for common area contents.

The LL insurance covers accidental damage by tenant or rent defaults only in a strata title property. Even, if I want to pay extra and add the building cover to a new LL insurance policy they would not accept.

I had to pay from my pocket to repair the roof which is costly and seems like most insurers prefer to insure "unlikely" events.

8. Paul@PAS

Insurers dont want to be paying for what could be maintenance and poor design or roof or gutters or window seals etc

Refused cover for rainwater penetrating a roof etc is generally not covered by any insurer unless a defined (and insured) event is associated. eg wind storm (except cyclone in some regions), hail, trees, external impact damage etc. Typically its a major meterological event and not isolated to a single home.

I just had a similar claim on my home. They paid for one section as it was hail impact causing water to enter after tiles broke. The other wasnt accepted as water leaked past flashing...In both cases the interior damage was covered. In first they fix the roof tiles and second I get flashing fixed.

Replacement basis etc is just terms for what value is insured if the claim is paid. In the event of a loss you want the building replaced. ...Provided the insured sum is sufficient !! Contents can be present value (usually subject to age) or new for old (replacement) and premiums reflect it.

JacM likes this.
  9. Tony66

Tony66 Well-Known Member

T
    Thanks Paul.
    Sadly the insurers do not explain this in Plain Language when we purchase the policy.
    It is like having a life insurance which would not cover the heart attack but all the rest.

10. Paul@PAS

Insurance is a legal and financial product. Its never in plain english even if they say so.

ie The insured premises can be uninsured very easily. Dont tell them something they say they wanted to know.

JacM likes this.
  11. Hosko

Hosko Well-Known Member

Tony66, Sounds to me like the roof needed maintenance? Insurance generally isn't there to fix things that are worn out through age. But in general subsequent damage will be repaired.
    For example if your hot water system sprung a leak in the tank due to age the tank would not be covered but any subsequent damage to the house may be covered.

12. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

I'd take a guess and say that the roof is not part of your lot, and water ingress into your lot is the responsibility of the Owners Corp in NSW.

So pass it on to your Strata Committee and tell them to get it sorted out.

If you are not on the Strata Committee, then what the Strata Insurance told you is not relevant, and like them, you DGAF either, and the OC can get it sorted out. And, within a reasonable time.

If not, it's off to Fair Trading and then tribunal....

13. Tony66

Tony66 Well-Known Member

Hi Ted .
    Thanks,
    The unit is located in Victoria and it is called Body corp but it has the same strata insurance.
    The insurance policy doesn't cover damage to roof but water ingress .
    They wanted me to fix the roof which I did. Strangely they don't think the damage to roof from a storm as an accident,
    but water ingress as a result of the same roof damage considered as an accident.
    My property manager inquired about whether body corp does roof maintenance and they said they don't.
    It seems like the fees to body corp is a ransom money if you are an investor!

14. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Hi Tony,

Firstly I suggest you take some legal advice from a strata lawyer, and yes, it will cost a few bucks. Make sure you keep a copy of the invoice and payment.

The roof should not be part of your lot and therefore the Body Corp is responsible for the maintenance of it, not you. Furthermore, they should be reimbursing you for your expenses. And, who cares what the insurance policy covers or doesn't, as it's not your problem.

If the roof is actually part of your lot, then you will have to suck it up, but then it should be no problem to add a second floor, a jacuzzi, a custom drone landing pad, and a dome housing a mad telescope for your astronomy hobby, and you wont need anybody's permission.

Happy days!

TV.

15. Tony66

Tony66 Well-Known Member

Thanks Ted.
    It is actually really a good point!