Which Dishwasher: PPOR

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by TMNT, 12th May, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

So, first time ive bought a dishwasher in my entire life,

seems to be the many brands including well known, plus ones ive never heard of euromaid, dishlex, Beko, Glem,

looking for one for our place, we dont have a huge load to do,

do brands, quality matter?

or buy a cheap one with the best warranty?

2. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

@TMNT I’ve had a Fisher & Paykel Dishdrawer (just the single), a dishlex and now an Everdure (in the house when we bought it). These are all over about 20years. The dishdrawer and the dishlex are still in IP’s and still running without repairs.

The dishdrawer was great for a couple but I needed to run multiple loads if people came over. It had a timer setting so I could run it in the middle of the night which was great.

The Dishlex was the quickest, quietest and dried the dishes the best but wasn’t always the cleanest.

The Everdure is probably the best cleaner and the biggest but is quite loud to run and the dishes stay a bit wet even with rinse aid at the highest setting.

I would probably still recommend any of them though.

Kassy

TMNT likes this.
  3. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

We've got a bosh in our place...installed in 2006 and still going strong.

4. serendip

serendip Well-Known Member

I bought a run-out model Bosch, which was a fantastic machine, I stupidly didn't switch the dishwasher for the F&P when I moved. It was truly crap & drove me crazy till it died. Next one was also an F&P and also crap, pieces braking off left, right & centre. Current one is also an F&P, it's actually pretty good, but I think a more expensive model. So, IME, don't buy bottom of the line F&P.

5. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

V-zug.

6. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

thanks guys!

oh and one more question

which is better/safer/reliable

touch screens, buttons or knobs

our current one is button ones and the buttons none of them seem to work now

7. qak

qak Well-Known Member

I have a Miele (after having had a Dishlex) and I don't think it was really worth all that many $ more. I would probably get Miele again to match the stove/oven, but honestly if I had full choice I would probably pick a Bosch.

I would look at specific features:
    - steel lining
    - cutlery drawer
    - fit for *your* plates & glasses because there's nothing more annoying than things not fitting properly ... take some of your own to check!
    - cycle lengths
    - opens door automatically at end of cycle

One that puts the clean things away too would be nice ...

Ami Henshaw and TMNT like this.
  8. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I bought a discontinued European Bosch 5.5 years ago and hasn’t skipped a beat. (Beware of cheap made in China models) My Dishlex before that, well, we spent many mornings with repairers when in was under warranty.

9. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

I'm with @qak - Cutlery drawer all the way!!! We had an LG that we put in our last house, 11 years old and still going great aside from the handle cracked. We moved in Feb and left it there, the new place has a Meile (I think, I'd have to check), and it has a top thin slide out cutlery rack instead of a basket. The amount of stuff we can load this one up with is insane compared to the old one, quite remarkable given the same outside dimensions. Does a great clean too. I'll check the model tonight when I get home if you're still looking.

10. FredBear

FredBear Well-Known Member

Have had various brands, the best being 45cm Bosch with 3 drawers, the top one being for cutlery. Quiet and cleans well, and as above you can load so much more in a 3 drawer compared to 2 drawer. 45cm width gives an extra 15cm of cupboards compared to the standard 60cm size.

11. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

i actually was looking at ordering a $550 dishlex this morning, but now on this thread we have 1 person saying Yay while another saying Nay

:D

12. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

My electrician installs Dishlex or the cheapest Bosch in all the rental properties he's sent to unless the client requests otherwise. Not just because they are cheap but he doesn't want to go back for warranty issues all the time.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  13. qak

qak Well-Known Member

My Dishlex lasted 16 years before a fault. I didn't think it was worth repairing.
    My Miele had a fault under 4 years! $240 (& 2 visits) to fix, but the first guy was talking $800, at that point I was really thinking why would I do it?

14. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Bosch - German made ones
    Dishwasher like all fittings, if you cheap out in the beginning it will cost you more due to maintenance / replacement.

So either don’t fit one, or fit a good one, not something in between.

15. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Maybe I got a particularly dud one, they sent out 3 different technicians, replaced almost every part, were about to replace it but then suggested they think one of the technicians may have cracked the fault, and he did! It never did wash that great though! It was a dishwasher repair person who recommended German Bosch over cheap Made in China Bosch. My dishlex constantly got blocked with food stuck in the spinning arms. Only cleaned Bosch arms once!

16. MRO

MRO Well-Known Member

I wanted a factory 5 year warranty and not many offered this. We went with an Asko and have been happy with it.

17. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I bought a Beko recently and it comes with 5 yr warranty. Very quiet and functional with loads of adjustable arms, heights etc for glasses, large pots. We like the cutlery tray but also comes with basket and some folding shelves for long knives etc etc Appliances Online

Beko is a newer brand in Australia but well known in europe. Tip - Most euro made appliances are from Turkey.

Appliances Online have good video and genuine customer reviews. They offer installs (fee) and take away the old one (free) if its ready to go.

Propin likes this.
  18. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Thanks guys!!

ended up picking up this today!

Dishlex DSF6106W 60cm Freestanding Dishwasher at The Good Guys

paid with cc so 1 year extra warranty brings it to 3

first time ive installed a dishwasher, the longest time was cleaning the mess under the old dishwasher

as people have said its super quiet, low water usage

all good so far!

Rich2011 likes this.
  19. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

My skins crawls when I recall the underneath of our old DW. The new one (Beko) came with a adhesive foam seal which stops roaches. I thought that was a good undocumented inclusion.

20. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Just organising the replacement for our 2001 Meile:(:(:(