Which borrowing calculator to use??

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by chunho01, 15th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. chunho01

chunho01 Well-Known Member

I'm meeting my broker to discuss next week, but I'm just playing around with some borrowing power calculator in the meantime, and the results are just hilarious, if not ridiculous. They are so different!!

Aussie = $560,000 (Too much? Should I not enter my full rental income in 'other income'?)
    HSBC = $450,000 (Most realistic of them all)
    Anz = $392,000
    Westpac = $329,000
    Homehero = $155,000 (Like... seriously??? I must have entered some field wrongly?)

Which one is trustable? Any trustworthy calculator that I can use?

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

In real life they will be different too - vastly different.

3. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

You can't rely on online borrowing calculators, they are sales tools designed to generate business and aren't accurate. They rarely properly reflect the banks actual lending policies and even if they do, odds are you're not knowledgeable enough enter the data properly unless you also understand that lenders policies.

Meet with the broker, they're more qualified to give you answers on this than a website is.

4. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

they are all trustworthy. im sure they all have the right calcs for the right input

its the input and the interpretation of the credit criticals that will determine who will lend what.

While much is simple in this area of purchasing props, its neither obvious nor logical.

ta
    rolf

5. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

There can be big differences in borrowing power results depending on individual bank policies.

Usually as ones scenario becomes more uncommon the bigger the differences will be. For example, if one of two applicants have been employed F/T for one day, or short term casual, actual borrowing power calculations would be very different from lender to lender, as some will include and others will exclude.

Also different treatments of mortgage debt will make a big difference - so for those with portfolios, will see a substantial difference between someone like ANZ and NAB/FirstMac.

In terms of online calculators, they're not that accurate...

Cheers,
    Redom

6. Burramys

Burramys Well-Known Member

Agree. I have a Veda score in the top 20%, every year my savings goes up, the offset has nearly enough to buy a house, and yet I've always struggled to get a mortgage. The reason is that I'm self employed, investing. Lenders discount my income by 25-50% when the reality is that I have easily covered IO loans for 20 years and saved. The GFC was punishing as a builder was quite naughty - took him to court for a six figure amount, won - and there were problems. The broker sorted the lender and it's worked. Maybe I should have kept the 9-5 job ...

7. Harry Goyal

Harry Goyal Member

Hello,
    These all calculators are just meant to provide you an estimate. For the exact figures you must always consult a lender or a professional expert...