NSW Whether these jobs should be done by owner?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Yang, 8th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Yang

Yang New Member

Hi
    I’m not new to the ausome forum, but this my first time to add a post on it.
    I have a IP in Loganholme. And during the year I constantly receive some maintenance request for the tenants.
    Recently, I receive from my PM, the issues are:
    - gutters are full of weeds and need to be cleaned out
    - Tree's are leaning on and are over hanging the gutters
    - tree's are over hanging neighbour's yard.
    Which cost me around 800. So I would like to know whether these work should be done.

Thanks heaps

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Trees, gutters - owner's problem.

Tom Rivera and Joynz like this.
  3. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

How long have this property been rented, and how often do you clean-up the yard? What's in the Rental Agreement?
    Our standard practice is Tenants will look after the easier stuff: mow the lawn, simple pruning.
    But anything more complicated would be at Owner's expense, unless there's prior agreement.

4. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

In general terms, if a job requires a tenant to get on a ladder, then it becomes an owner's responsibility. e.g. light bulbs on a cathedral ceiling...
    Owner's responsibility.
    Owner's responsibility. Surely you'd want to have this fixed anyway as it is your property to look after?
    Neighbour's / owner's problem. Neighbours are entitled to prune overhanging branches and place back on your property (or dispose of themselves).

Tom Rivera likes this.
  5. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

If a skilled trade is required, or not considered minor maintenance, then Lessor is responsible/you wouldn't want your tenant trying to do it lest something go wrong

6. jazzsidana

jazzsidana Well-Known Member

Owners responsibility in most cases.

Should these be done - What if they were not done?? Cost more most likely and unhappy tenant leading to more troubles...

"The longer you delay the more your sins get strength and rooting"

Cheers,

7. Yang

Yang New Member

Thanks all for your advise.
    The house is in reasonable condition at the time I bought it. But once the tenant moving in. I spent over 6k to do the repairs during two years. Recently considering to change a property manager for some reasons

8. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

The house might be in reasonable condition, but the yard is also important. Did you consider the upkeep when you purchased? Shrubs and trees grow very fast up here the sub-tropics and can cause a lot of problems with the Summer storms. You dont want the gutters to fail when there is heavy rain.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  9. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Brisbane is subject to sometimes fierce summer storms, so it is essential that you keep the property in good repair, including pruning trees, clearing gutters and stormwater drains, and ensuring water does not puddle close to the house.

These are all your responsibility.

It may be worth removing any fast growing, tall shrubs growing close to the house.

Sounds as if your PM is doing a good job making you aware of issues to be tackled before they cause major problems.
    Marg

wylie and Angel like this.