Where would you park your money while saving up for a deposit

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by allanh, 8th Aug, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. allanh

allanh Well-Known Member

I am saving up for a deposit to purchase around June 2022.

Where would you suggest I park the money while building up the pool?
    I have considered a few options:

1. ETF, shares - good liquidity, but the stocks may not be suitable for selling when I need the money
    2. Term deposit - super-low interest rate, hardly keeping up with inflation
    3. Put in offset account for my other IP - once again, with the interest rate this low, hardly a good ROI parking money to save a few hundred dollars of interest

Seeing none of the above three are ideal scenarios, is there any better option?

2. thunderstrike888

thunderstrike888 Well-Known Member

In todays environment you only have 3 choices that are worth putting your money in

1) Real Estate
    2) Shares
    3) Businesses

There are no other investment mediums that will provide any kind of return that is worthwhile. This is why 1 and 2 are absolutely insane at the moment and thats why you have seen these 2 asset classes grow exponentially.

3 is risky but there are some businesses thriving due to Covid. My online business has actually made more money during covid than it did prior to covid.

allanh likes this.
  3. allanh

allanh Well-Known Member

Thanks.
    In addition to risk and return, I also need something that is liquid and could produce a good return (doesn't have to be great) in the short term so I can cash out quickly (within 8 months) to use it as deposit.

4. Tyla

Tyla Well-Known Member

If the funds will be required in 8months, it is high risk to invest in shares/ETF. I would go with option 3.

allanh likes this.
  5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Whatever you decide, don't forget the risks. It's all nice and dandy wanting to get the best possible returns on your cash, but at what amount of risk? You will need that money later so you can't afford to lose a chunk of it. Be careful not to let too much greed creep in.

allanh, KayTea and TAJ like this.
  6. ParraEels

ParraEels Well-Known Member

Both options are very very risky for short term (8 months) period.

You will crystallise your loss if your etf is down 8-10%?

If you don't crystallise your loss than you will not able pay deposit.

The key to building wealth is to preserve capital and wait patiently for the right opportunity to make the extraordinary gains.

I will chose to park my money is offset for fix return and capital preservation. sometime greed can throw us backward in life.

Good luck.

allanh likes this.
  7. thunderstrike888

thunderstrike888 Well-Known Member

Yeah so if you rule out those 2 as well there is pretty much nothing to do with your money except leave it in cash offset.

Everything comes with risk just how much risk someone's appetite can take is the question. When I was younger I was willing to risk it all in real estate. Every single damn penny I had. Its payed off wonders.

But yes I agree for the timeframe not much you can do except maybe start a business.

Op,

I started my online business with about $3k capital. Website hosting, Business Registration, URL/DNS registration and effort into a website. That was about $1k but I programmed my own website and portal.

Then I started with about $2k in inventory. That first year I made $150k+ or thereabouts.

You can try this. Problem is you need an idea and a product.

allanh likes this.
  8. allanh

allanh Well-Known Member

Hi, all, thanks for all your response so far.

I agree that there is always a risk that I won't be able to keep my capital when I need it next year for deposit within a particular timeframe if I invest the current savings on something.

I am saving for the deposit for a commercial IP.

The only reason I am contemplating investing the saving before cashing out next year is because it is a large sum of money and it hurts to see it just sitting in an offset account doing nothing.

To @thunderstrike888 :
    Actually I have an online business (tourism website) at the moment, but as we all know, there is no advertisement dollar for tourism currently :p

Last edited: 8th Aug, 2021
    TimeFlies likes this.