Where will be your next investment?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by icic, 20th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Where will be your next investment

Poll closed 23rd Jan, 2020.
  1. Sydney

24 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. Melbourne

68 vote(s)
    25.9%
  3. Brisbane

79 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. Perth

24 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. Adelaide

29 vote(s)
    11.0%
  6. Canberra

4 vote(s)
    1.5%
  7. Hobert

5 vote(s)
    1.9%
  8. Regional areas - Please comment where.

17 vote(s)
    6.5%
  9. Overseas

13 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

Do you own the condos. Do you have an actual physical title in your hands, who ever holds the physical title is the owner. Usually you can only own the rights to the building for 50 years. After which they are knocked down rebuilt and sold to another sucker. Land in Makati was doubling every year I don't imagine any-one giving freehold title and if you do have it, what guarantee do you have that the corrupt judges and lawyers will award you ownership. Hope you know people in high places. Who is managing the Condos ? Often they tenant their own Condos first then, the one they are managing and keep the money while telling you it is vacant. They have suckers paying the expense while they collect the yield and Capital growth. I have even seen the same building sold 2 or 3 times to different people who who then engage lawyers who are in cohoots to extract as money as possible from their clients.

Beano likes this.
  2. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

Everything, Corruption Nepotisim

Beano likes this.
  3. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

I bought 100sqm in Clarke 2 years after Mt Pintatobo for P300/sqm and built a 8 bed double storey house and bought an internet café. I give up following what the land is worth , about 5 years ago it was worth about P30,000/sqm, but it is just nuts now, after 4 big shopping malls being built an express road from Manila establishment of international airport whch Duterte plans to make the main airport with a bullet train to Manilla. I did have Tiger airways air hostess staying there but I never saw any money apparently it all goes in maintenece lol. It is an open house and any-one can stay there if they look after it. I had some abandoned kids staying there and put some through school. The little bit of rent isn't worth the hassle. It was only bought for plan Z , and enable more risking taking, if everything else went belly up I could still go and live their cheaply and have a good lifestyle.

Darren, Beano and Momentum like this.
  4. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

I've got titles to condo in Thailand but waiting for completion of Makati, last bullet payment due Q2 2018. Currently trying to sell Thailand condo but difficult with junta rule scaring foreign investors away plus the over supply in Pattaya. Also had to drop the rent from 35,000 THB to 23,000 THB when I got a new tenant (ex tenant was oil and gas FIFO worker). Mate just sold a house down the coast in Chonburi and got his money back after 10 years. I'm confident of my Makati place, prices have gone up 30%+ since I signed. A savvy HK investor I follow here has bought 9 condos in The Rise and a few other Makati projects. I'll probably live there for 1-2 years once it's completed then Airbnb it through a pinoy friend.

www.therisemakati.com

The Rise is being developed by Shangri La resorts so they have a good name.

Condos in Thailand can't exceed 49/51% foreigner quota, in Phil's it's 40/60%.

Sent from my iPhone 8S with Tapatalk.

Last edited: 25th Sep, 2017
    Beano likes this.
  5. Anthony Brew

Anthony Brew Well-Known Member

God only knows why anyone would invest in Thailand. Story after story after story of land title turning out to be fake or wife forging signature to sell the house and take all the money. The corruption here is mind boggling from the highest level and at every level all the way down. Any day the people in power could easily just make a law that says foreigners can not hold the title to any property and it is forfeited to whoever has the power to make that rule and paid off anyone else who they needed to agree with it. Or on a lower level you could find that someone forged your signature and your title now belongs to someone else, often who has a "friend" in the military or police or judicial system that they paid off and if you investigate further you will end up as one of the farang who committed suicide by shooting yourself in the head twice (yes that was one of the many insane and real stories). This is the norm in Thailand. Thai people regularly screw over everyone and anyone including their own husbands, wives, children and friends. Where do you think you as a foreigner are on the list of people they can and will happily and easily rip off? Hint: it's after their husbands/wives/children/friends/other-thais. It may sound "cool" to some people that you are investing in a foreign country, but if you actually associate with thai people and speak the language and get to know them, you will know what they are really like, and if you keep up on the news (western new of course since thai news is censored with jail sentences if you even pass links around telling the truth about those in power, and this happens regularly and there was a recent one), if you keep up with this you will find out the real degree of corruption here and you would never bring your money here. It's delusional to buy here and assume your money is safe.

And if you are an Australian citizen, you have the amazing opportunity to invest in a country with one of the best and safest political and economic systems in the world. I really don't see the point.

Last edited: 25th Sep, 2017
  6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Just started our 5 townhouse development in USA/Atlanta, this will be perhaps 7 month project? Currently living between Atlanta and Australia, weather is what gets to me, going from hot to cold... At least clothing is very cheap, it pays to have 2 sets.

I am looking forward to doing another development in Perth, my home town, but sadly the numbers don't stack up and well Melb for me is out, once again numbers not stacking up as land has soared.

Will always look for opportunities in Australia but I guess main focus is US while the market is hot.

Concrete got poured.... Shotcrete in action, hard yakka, would not want this job and certainly not when the temperature is around 90 degrees.

memorialdeve2.JPG memorialdeve3.JPG memorialdeve3.JPG

Toon, Darren, SOULFLY3 and 6 others like this.
  7. icic

icic Well-Known Member

Nice work @MTR!

8. icic

icic Well-Known Member

@MTR are you selling those off the plan or renting it out after completion?

9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

We will be selling

10. icic

icic Well-Known Member

the Brisbane vs Melborne(63 vs 56) gap is widening considerably for this poll as of last week. The continuous improvements in Queensland's economy fundamentals are having a positive effect on investors(at least on this forum) sentiments by the look of it.

11. Darren

Darren Well-Known Member

I just came home after spending 1 month on Siargao island, the value of my land there has doubled since March when i bought it, Chinese/Japanese and korean investors are getting around in mini vans offering people rediculous money for land especially waterfront.
    There is talk of building an international airport on the island, really hope it never happens as it doesnt need one at all.
    My plan going back was to buy more land, in the end decided to start building 2 one bedroom units as rentals instead, expect to get anywhere from $1300 to $1500 a month rent for both.
    Combined they are costing around 33k finished and furnished with aircon hotwater etc. If these 2 units do as i ecpect and rent easily i will be building another similar in around 12 to 18 months.

Beano and josh123 like this.
  12. icic

icic Well-Known Member

Brisbane is pulling ahead by 10 (70 vs 60) since last time I checked.

13. virhlpool

virhlpool Well-Known Member

Can anyone (non-citizen) buy land in Phil and is it safe?