Where will be your next investment?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by icic, 20th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Where will be your next investment

Poll closed 23rd Jan, 2020.
  1. Sydney

24 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. Melbourne

68 vote(s)
    25.9%
  3. Brisbane

79 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. Perth

24 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. Adelaide

29 vote(s)
    11.0%
  6. Canberra

4 vote(s)
    1.5%
  7. Hobert

5 vote(s)
    1.9%
  8. Regional areas - Please comment where.

17 vote(s)
    6.5%
  9. Overseas

13 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. icic

icic Well-Known Member

Hey all, the goal of this survey is to get an idea on where you guys are going to invest in the near future if you have the fund and the borrowing capacity to do so. Since lots of you guys are seasoned investors, this survey will give a good indication where the next boom city/regent will be. Any comments on the reason for your decision will be appreciated.

Frank Manno and Anthony Brew like this.
  2. Richard

Richard Active Member

Being from Melbourne I am biased a tad but having travelled to QLD every year I vote for Brisbane North and Brisbane South as the next growing areas. Just my 2 bobs worth.

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

You could always ask the mortgage brokers where are clients buying if they care to share?

However, it does not necessarily mean this is where the growth will happen. Must look at the mix, don't want a higher% of investors buying up... just my opinion

Whitecat likes this.
  4. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

Adelaide, Brisbane, western suburbs of Melbourne + Geelong.

A very small % as inner suburbs of Sydney in the primo range. The vast majority in this space are refinance/equity draw.

The biggest push of interstate buyers is east coast buying into Adelaide, the most localised is Melbournites buying in Melbourne.

5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

@ivancai is obviously not Tasmanian..... :D

The Y-man

Invest_noob and legallyblonde like this.
  6. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Most likely Perth, if not then Adelaide.

DaveM likes this.
  7. JL1

JL1 Well-Known Member

Can i ask why Adelaide? Interested as its not one that usually comes out top in these conversations.

8. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

I vote for Sydney outer areas eg Brisbane.

9. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Pausing before pulling the trigger again but contemplating Adelaide again or wait for Perth vacancy rates and prices to stabilise.
    Or I might just keep buying LICs..

10. Obsidian

Obsidian Well-Known Member

Regional Areas. That is Gold Coast (which I would not class as "Brisbane").

11. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

No, I would classify the gc as a suburb of Sydney. A regional area would be Perth amd Adelaide.

hash_investor and Whitecat like this.
  12. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

It's actually a pretty active investment market - it's consistently had some of hte highest conversation topics in the old Somersoft forum and continues into Property Chat.

Consistent growing CG and yields far higher than eastern State alternatives, investors are rebalancing their portfolios or beginning their portfolios with more sustainable $ options in Adelaide.

Those who are in the know about the ground look at the urban boundary restrictions, changing economic conditions offering good long term options - read some of the ADL threads which outline a lot of this.

13. pwt

pwt Well-Known Member

Voted for Sydney but not buying now. Adelaide and Canberra market might be interesting as well. However, have been struggling to find good investments, so if market still hot by next year, I would probably invest overseas.

14. JL1

JL1 Well-Known Member

Thanks. By the approval and population data it is one state that continues to defy the stats, i reckon above all states needs the local knowledge. Or my stats are totally wrong haha

15. icic

icic Well-Known Member

@T Y man
    Oops! suppose to be Hobart, you are right, I haven't been to Tassie yet. but hopefully sometime this year.

legallyblonde and The Y-man like this.
  16. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Prefer North Brisbane in the Moreton Bay city council - so much happening - new train, Costco, IKEA, Westfields, new uni coming up in Petrie.

The mall in Strathpine got purchased by a HK family who will be demolishing it to build a new mall & apartments.

Lots of re-zoning has also occurred. Till mid 2016 you could buy a 600sqm+ urban zoned (high density) block for mid 300's and a 6% plus rental return. This has slipped a little bit with pricing 380k-400k+ and returns a tad below 6%.

The fundamentals are there. However the challenge we found personally with Brisbane was the number of natural disasters - floods, bush fire hazard, land slides, major noise corridors - you name it - they have it all. As well as lots of available land - supply vs. demand. Prudent to buy something well located as that's where you may have future upside with future development.

Cash flow is important, however in a market that is rising and is speculated to rise, it's okay to let go of some cash flow and jump in the market.

A number of forum members are also buying in Brissy south. Sure there would be opportunities there, however having ventured out in both North & South, North does stand out with the recent infrastructure developments.

Last edited: 24th Mar, 2017
  17. icic

icic Well-Known Member

@Property Twins, i think both side has pros and cons, one draw card for south is the vibrant multicultures and close to gold coast, which is much more developed compare with sunshire coast. Now GC also will have the commonweath games and lots of infrastrue propjects.
    I have investments on both side so i am not bias in anyway.

adam duckworth likes this.
  18. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Ivan you left off the ASX

pommy, legallyblonde, Stoffo and 2 others like this.
  19. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Have interest in both North and South also =). Though the gut leans towards North.

South we'd be very selective and only buy in well serviced suburbs. Don't like the areas with lots of cookie cutter houses. Those may rise, however will be the first to go down and sit there for a long time to come....local agents have suggested the same.

icic likes this.
  20. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    Perth!

I know it's flat atm but long term it's set to be Australia's 3rd biggest city.

adam duckworth and Perthguy like this.