House & Home Where to settle in retirement?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by ellejay, 10th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Dylan33

Dylan33 Well-Known Member

We're off to Hobart soon. Can't wait! Clean air, beautiful scenery and our family are waiting.

LibGS, ellejay and Ed Barton like this.
  2. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

We live in the Eastern suburbs:cool:

3. Chrispy

Chrispy Well-Known Member

My retired life is perfect.
    Melbourne base, Cape Woolamai Beach House (Phillip Island) for summer escapes away from the heat. Lots of friends for morning coffee, local gym daily when home and Overseas travel in the winter.
    My son and I are just back from New York, what an amazing experience!! I am off to meet a friend in Florida for 2 weeks but back home for Christmas down the Beach ...perfect for me

Propin, Zeehan, ellejay and 1 other person like this.
  4. Ouchmyknees

Ouchmyknees Well-Known Member

When I have financial freedom I'd love to do a master in International studies with a focus on geo-politics. Partner wants to study Polictics or urban planning, so Vienna or Washington D.C. will be a nice place to spend a year. I'm also interested to learn Italian cooking and spanish so that's maybe a year each in Italy and South America.
    When I'm too old or lose interest to learn things, I want a base in Melbourne for family & friends and base in Thailand for the beach, food and hospitality.
    All the reason to invest and retire early!

Angel, ellejay, Terry_w and 1 other person like this.
  5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

There's a lot of places you can study Spanish in Latin America (don't restrict yourself to just South America).

I studied twice, two weeks each time, in a small village in Guatemala- San Pedro la Laguna. The "classrooms" were outdoors, the picture below is from the school (Casa Rosario Spanish School).

The current cost is $US150 per week, which includes four hours one on one teaching a day, five days a week, plus accommodation and food with a local family (although they ask you to give your host a break on Sundays).

It is very basic though, and your hosts don't speak English, so a basic level of Spanish is recommended.

I loved it, but that suited my tastes and level of Spanish. I got on very well with my family and teacher, and still communicate with them. They even named their baby boy after me.

I subsequently did some study at a university in Medellin, Colombia. The approach was very different, it was a classroom rather than individual, and it cost a lot more- but I still learnt a lot.

Whether you like small villages, picturesque colonial cities, or large modern cities, there will be something for you, and at a price much better than you would pay in Australia.

But before you go, get the free app Duolingo and start building up some basic vocabulary. You will get a lot more value, anywhere you go, if you know some of the basics.
    10917964_10206232124986755_2641712280769598114_o.jpg

Ouchmyknees and Chrispy like this.
  6. Ouchmyknees

Ouchmyknees Well-Known Member

Out of the 10 ive only been to Puerto Vallarta and Playa del Carmen. The former is indeed a retirement village for Americans and Candies. The latter is very similar to Gold Coast, long beach and theme parks, It is the adult version of Cancun and my favourite part of Mexico.

Thanks @geoffw! I would like to do this if time permits,I did a three-months French course in three different french cities after graduating from uni but everybody speaks English so it kind of defeating the purpose. One-on-one intensive learning from a native speaker is a terrific idea.:)

7. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Have a look at some of this site has some interesting ideas...thought North American centric...

retireearlylifestyle.com

8. Zeehan

Zeehan Well-Known Member

Something I have discovered in retirement. I actually LOVE doing nothing sometimes.

WattleIdo, Chrispy, Gockie and 5 others like this.
  9. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Best of both worlds I suppose!
    But you have to live near the other Eastern suburbs people ;)

bob shovel likes this.
  10. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Haha me too. I don't mind being lazy. Would be great to get some me time everyday - start every morning at the gym, then an hr at the beach followed by a movie and some online playstation time. Would easily take me through to 3pm when chaos takes over (kids come home from school).

Unfortunately, I can't be a professional buy, renovate and hold(er) - that would be something I'd love doing for a living.