House & Home Where to settle in retirement?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by ellejay, 10th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

While my wife is a native Spanish speaker, my Spanish was quite basic. I went to Guatemala at the end of 2014, as a part of a Central America trip, to learn enough Spanish to be able to have a basic conversation with my Mexican in laws, before spending Christmas there. I did two weeks of intensive one on one study, four hours a day, five days a week. I achieved my aim of being able to converse with my extended family. I did another two weeks just before I went to Medellin. The lessons were held outdoors, on the shores of beautiful Lake Atitlan. 16305930186_7051bb4123_k.jpg

16302366186_b72ef4fd01_z.jpg

Cost for the lessons plus full accommodation (three meals a day for six days a week) was $US140pw. One of the great language learning bargains in the world. www.casarosario.com

Accomodation is with a family who speak only Spanish and Maya, so you really get to practice.

They are just one of a number of schools in the small town of San Pedro, but they were the first.

I especially liked putting my money into the local economy of people who really need it. Unemployment is high; I saw two funerals of men in their early 20s who had died from alcohol related causes.

2. geoffw

I really enjoyed Penang. However I'm not fond of humidity, and my wife absolutely hates it with a passion, so a coastal place in Malaysia is not an option. However we will be visiting Malaysia next year and looking at the Cameron Highlands, where the altitude gives some sort of relief. Northern Thailand is lovely, and the climate not as tropical.

Thats an interesting list, with not a lot in common with other lists I have seen- however those lists concentrate on people with a limited budget.

Playa del Carmen is the only place I've been there. Playa is good for people who like city life and parties. My daughters each worked there for three months (for a pittance in our terms), at different times, and being party people, loved it. It's good for people who like good facilities around. It's not as brash and expensive as Cancun to the north; Tulum, to the south, is much quieter, although not right next to the beach. The Maya ruins are magnificent.
    16137959960_3372053f47_k.jpg

I've been to Caye Caulker, which is smaller than, but close to, Ambergris Caye.

ellejay likes this.
  3. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Hi Geoff
    It does sound like a beautiful area with lots to offer. Didn't mean to sound closed minded, language would be the biggest issue. I've struggled to get by in France, Italy and Spain in the past, although people always try to help and it's fun having a go at the language.
    The dog would stop us retiring there but I've been looking at house/dog sitting both for us to try but also for people to come and look after our dog while we travel so it may be possible for us to explore South America. I might have to come back and pick your brains :) Just struggling to find our actual base at the moment, can't decide between NZ where we have a few ips and renos to do plus a lovely little place to live or to stay in lovely NE Vic with all the options of driving around Oz.

sanj and geoffw like this.
  4. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

Wow, so many exitic places you are all retiring to :).

For me, Palm Beach / Miami / Mermaid Beach in the Gold Coast.

It's very generic and cliche but my wife and I love it up there :).

With a bit of luck, we will move up there before we retire (I "might" be able to transfer) but in to the home we will live in post retirement :).

ellejay and Player like this.
  5. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Thats interesting. Yes humidity is a struggle I was born in Singapore so I guess can get used to it quicker. Interesting that she didn't like penang, what was it out of curiosity?

Btw when I say penang I'm specifically referring to Georgetown and surrounds, it was a revelation to me my 2 trips last year after having just been to the coastal resort area batu ferringgi which ultimately is like any south easy Asian tropical beachside area and nothing special imo.

6. geoffw

Sorry Sanj. I meant that she hates humidity with a passion. She hasn't been to Penang; she's only been to KL and Malacca on a work trip (when she was a travel agent).

I quite enjoyed Penang when I was there, but I personally preferred the more laid back east coast myself. That was 30 years ago though.

7. radson

radson Well-Known Member

I must admit after 12 years working in Indonesia and Thailand, I am certainly happy to leave the humidity behind...and having no seasons..and traffic ..and smog and the rest.

Iamnumber5 likes this.
  8. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

No worries, the humidity is understandably a no go for many people. My mum was born in Singapore, lived there for over 40 years and doesn't think she could live there again in large part due to humidity.

geoffw likes this.
  9. geoffw

There are people who say they don't like travelling in Asia. It's not the heat, it's the humility.

radson and sanj like this.
  10. Magnet

Magnet Well-Known Member

Funny that this thread came up. I have been thinking about retirement a lot lately. Like you @Lacrim we are way off. Our kids are young and at best we will be able to semi retire/scale back work at 55 with the youngest still at School. We will have to stay put and do extended holidays. The ultimate goal would be to have an endless summer though.

11. Player

Player Well-Known Member

@Dan Donoghue

It's a nice place to live when you don't need to clock in or can work remotely. :)

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  12. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

I'll stay put in Brisbane, perhaps move to Cairns where it's a bit warmer. Or spend summers in Brisbane and winters in Cairns. Like to be near family.

I have the means to travel extensively and for long periods, so where 'home' is doesn't really matter.

sanj and ellejay like this.
  13. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

We have a couple of sites up there between Brisbane and GC. I could possible work from one of them, ultimately it will be the companies decision, I will just go with what they say :).

I can work remotely ie I have the functionality and indeed have done so for many months whilst recovering from surgeries and treatment but these were special circumstances and a 100% work from home program is not supported. I see the logic, if they trust me to do it, they ave to trust everyone and to be honest, there are a number of people in every company who would abuse the privilege.

The main point here though is I cannot wait to live there, I am so excited and will be up there as soon as I conceivably can :). Hoping to buy an IP when we are up there in Jan with a view that we move into it in the next couple of years.

14. Chrispy

Chrispy Well-Known Member

Alan and I planned to live in Melbourne during the summer and Cairns during the Winter. We bought a very nice town house with a small garden, close to the beach at Yorkeys Knob in anticipation. In 2005 we planned to fly there in May for 3 or 4 months and renovate the Town House and enjoy the warm weather. As some of you already know Alan died unexpectedly in March 2005.

I did go up there in 2006 and renovated it with the help of builders but it was not the same staying there for months at a time on my own, so now I have it permanently let.

So now I escape overseas in the Melbourne Winter months to visit various countries and go to the Beach House I purchased 3 years ago in the Summer.

ellejay likes this.
  15. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Yes, I am struggling too. I love Perth but as I get older I get less and less tolerant of our cold winters. I would love to spend about 8 months in Perth, when the weather is nicer and spend winter in Brisbane or nearby.

Propin and ellejay like this.
  16. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

I love where I am at the moment in Bermagui on the far south coast and don't think I will be going far. Great weather, snow (nearby), beaches and no crowds. Am blessed I get to work here.

Sackie, MTR and ellejay like this.
  17. geoffw

Thanks to somebody refusing to pay me hundreds of thousands of dollars (detailed in a separate thread) I don't have the means.

There are many places where it's possible to have an excellent lifestyle at a cost of $2,000 pm or less for a couple. In Australia this would be subsistence level.

18. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I have thought about living o/seas six months of the year as I have lots of family in Italy and I speak the lingo, but I would miss my 2 daughters, family and friends in OZ....... it just wont work for me and I love Australia.

My eldest daughter just moved to Melb, and we have rented an apartment and live between Perth and Melb, daughter no. 2 is at Uni in Perth, but she wants to move to Melb, so I guess we will eventually pack up and move to Melb, that includes my dogs of course.

I love Melb and I think living expenses are much cheaper than Perth, though perhaps the weather may be a downside.

19. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Do you need a PA?

ellejay and MTR like this.
  20. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

You can forget the really cheap places in Central Europe like Hungary and Slovakia. They are incredibly hot in Summer, hotter than Brisbane, and under several feet of snow in Winter. We did one of those Scenic Tours "Afternoon with the Locals" in Slovakia in 2014. However if, as Aussies, we cant get permanent residency in Europe, a month or two renting in various European locations would be OK until the six months run out.