NSW Where to retire?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by geoffw, 30th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Thanks @Islay . I didn't realise that.

The small bit of information I can find indicates that the colliery was on the east side of Crangan Bay, the development is on the west side. But I'll include questions about that as a part of the investigation. It's certainly possible that there may be mine shafts in the area.

Islay likes this.
  2. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

Is it just me thinking about the benefits of a potential wine cellar?

Stoffo, Lizzie, geoffw and 1 other person like this.
  3. geoffw

I would have used one of these once.

I'm not sure how good a wine cellar a few metres away from the lakeside would be though.

4. PeteH

PeteH Member

I've just signed up to this forum and find that we might be future neighbours Geoff. We are currently in the process of securing a block in the forthcoming Crangan Bay development and the one that we have chosen is also fronts Ganang St.

We have been searching for a while for somewhere to build our retirement home and narrowed our search down to the Lake Macquarie region. Crangan Bay won out as it ticks all of the boxes when it comes to what our requirements are. It's a matter of a few minutes walk to the lake. Ten minutes drive to the ocean beaches and national park. Lake Munmorah shopping centre is six minutes drive away and there's easy access to the motorway and railway for trips down to Sydney. Most of my partners family are located on the Central Coast so being near to them is important to her as well.

We did look at other places around the lake and were originally keen on the Billy's Lookout development at Teralba on the northern end as well as Murrays Beach and Catherine Hill Bay. The problem was that if you choose the western side of the lake it doesn't allow easy access to the coast and if you choose the eastern side then access to the motorway and railway becomes an issue. The south end therefore is the best compromise.

Whilst retirement for us is still 10 years away we can both relocate our work to the area and enjoy a much better lifestyle. We currently live in Sydney's Hills District and development in the area is just going nuts and it's no longer the peaceful garden shire that it once was.

We have walked around the site and the majority of it, particularly the stage one release zone is untouched bushland with no visible signs of mining or quarrying.

Now to choose a house to build and hope that the development isn't unduly delayed!

Stoffo, Lizzie, ellejay and 1 other person like this.
  5. geoffw

Hey, cool! We'll have to have a PropertyChat meeting at Crangan Bay.

It ticks many of the same boxes for us as well. Plus they're reasonable size blocks, unlike many of the new developments. Yes, it fronts Ganang St - I gather you inferred that from the description. You could probably guess the lot number as well.

We revisited the site just to make sure - well, actually visited it for the first time, we were prepared initially to buy sight unseen (or even site unseen). We're absolutely sold. We love the area, the surrounds, and the access. The price is very reasonable for being so close to the lake. Our lawyer is reviewing exchange documents.

Gockie and ellejay like this.
  6. PeteH

PeteH Member

We are at the same stage with our solicitor working his way through the contract which we'll probably sign shortly. Yes your block is easy to find as you give the size. Well ours is 754 sqm just so you can play the same game.

The blocks are good value when compared to others that we've looked at looking at potential home designs has been fun. Now we just have to wait.

Looking forward to meeting the neighbours!

geoffw likes this.
  7. bamp

bamp Well-Known Member

This thread has been a great read. I'm in my mid 30's so unfortunately nowhere close to retiring yet, but seeing the process you and others have gone through in identifying what you are after has been very helpful. I'm gonna bookmark this and come back in 25 years when I start looking to do the same ;)

One question though for all those who have or will be moving when they are closing in on retirement, have you put much thought into how you will go about forming connections to your new community or establishing new relationships? I personally have found it quite tough the older I get to form meaningful adult friendships, especially in Australia where people seem to be quite closed off. But then again I am a raging introvert!

fantail, Parkzilla and BunnyXiao like this.
  8. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

We made a sea change for retirement.

fortunate to have found a small community with friendly neighbours.

however don’t expect your city friends to make the trek to visit to often.

fantail likes this.
  9. geoffw

On the corner. Well done. Nice aspect, and a good size.

Though it will take quite a long time to meet any of the neighbours.

MD84 likes this.
  10. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Sounds like a nice area, Geoff.

11. PeteH

PeteH Member

I guess everyone's experience can be different. For some, the moving away and means potentially losing friendships formed in their old community which took years to develop. Some people have no trouble meeting new people and rapidly forming new friendships just by having an outgoing personality and getting involved in every local activity under the sun.
    In our case we'll still be working which is often the nucleus for making friends and by getting involved in the local gym, pool, hobby club, etc, one can find it easier to meet people with similar interests.
    If Crangan Bay for example, is well designed, it will foster a sense of community and you'll be saying hello to the same friendly faces whenever out for a walk and before you know it hours will be spent chatting over a fence or in the local park and meaningful friendships can form.
    I tend to be outgoing and enjoy talking to strangers and while that doesn't mean that I'll get on like a house on fire with everyone I meet, by finding people interesting I am more likely to get to know them better.
    So no, it doesn't worry me, but I do understand that for some this can be a valid reason for not retiring too far from those to whom you are near and dear too.

fantail, MD84, bamp and 1 other person like this.
  12. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

It'd also be nice to restart designing houses that face out onto the front ... rather than a double garage door, solid front door and curtained bedroom window.

The best communities I've lived in often have a standard railed porch out the front and a little garden behind a low fence ... so one can enjoy an evening wine in the cane chairs on the porch, or potter in the garden without feeling totally exposed, and chat to the neighbours as they wander past

MD84, bamp, Mark F and 1 other person like this.
  13. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

so true,
    our suburbs are being filled with homes locked away behind large fences or hidden behind triple garages.
    The more we turn away from the street, the more our sense of community erodes.

reminds me of a song...

Out on the patio we'd sit
    And the humidity we'd breathe
    We'd watch the lightning crack over cane-fields
    And laugh and think, "This is Australia"

MD84, PeteH and Lizzie like this.
  14. geoffw

IMG20200725102827.jpg
    Our block is somewhere in there

IMG20200725103447.jpg

IMG20200725111848.jpg
    It's in the bushy area, just past the beach.

Parkzilla, MD84, PeteH and 5 others like this.
  15. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Going to be a tree house? o_O

The Y-man

geoffw likes this.
  16. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Figtree it is then.

17. geoffw

One that I can put on gumtree.

The Y-man likes this.
  18. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Funny you say this. Just the other day I was relaxing in the front yard of a house that I'm renovating, and thinking how nice it was, as it's not something I'd do at home as the design of the house doesn't really lend itself to it. The kicker is that the house we're currently renovating is at Willmot. Not somewhere you'd normally enjoy sitting out the front.

Lizzie likes this.
  19. PeteH

PeteH Member

All part of the reason for choosing the block that we did. It's a corner block with the long access running east west. The northern side faces a reserve over the road. Our preferred house design so far has it's main garden and entertainment area off the side with the living areas opening on to it with large expanses of opening glass doors down two thirds of the side of the house. Well get a good outlook, winter sun inside with passive heating and no chance of being directly overlooked by any neighbouring homes. The outside world will be brought inside. As this is to be our retirement home we want to get it right.

MD84, ellejay, Lizzie and 2 others like this.
  20. ttn

ttn Well-Known Member