NSW Where to retire?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by geoffw, 30th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

As one gets older, (easy) access to top notch medical services/hospitals is paramount. Hence why I'm not moving to any of the smaller regionals. Having said that, I'm a city slicker at heart. Something like the GC or within 30 minutes drive would be as far as I'd want to be.

HUGH72, geoffw, Lizzie and 1 other person like this.
  2. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

@geoffw I too prefer the north of Sydney. I'm looking for a house in a rural area to be my getaway one day so the short term plan is to rent it out. Gloucester seems affordable but hunter region is still either in drought or drought affected.

geoffw likes this.
  3. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

Geoff, I would say Shellharbour is missing from your shortlist and would fit your criteria.
    If you increase your budget to $700-800k, you could pick up something decent further north and closer to Sydney - e.g. Bulli and the surrounds

Last edited: 24th May, 2020
  4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Although the Shellharbour median price is shown as $733,000. Does that sound correct? That would put it out of scope.

We were cheated out of $400k in the sale of a business some years ago, which has left us needing to supplement our retirement savings in order to fund a comfortable retirement.

5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I was thinking Norah Head, north of Sydney on the Central Coast ... was the only place on the coast we'd considered moving to.

6. geoffw

At a median price of $899,000 it's ever so slightly out of our range. By about $250k or so.

7. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Bit surprised ... I thought you were happy at Stockton :)

8. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

I am retired, living at Warners Bay, 2 mins to shops, 10 minutes to Westfield, hospitals etc. walk around Lake Macquarie 2 mins away. Some things I do miss that are in Sydney, the Art Gallery, Botanic Gardens, ferry to Manly, the consistent good quality of the cafes, easy access to Blue Mountains etc. and most of all the beaches, especially Bronte where I grew up. :D

Terry Curran likes this.
  9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

We looked at it prior to Stockton ... had the same close knit community feel, but close to Sydney train, shops and medical facilities (important as you get older) ... and, most importantly, walk to the beach.

@geoffw - gotta remember that there are beachfront properties, so that beefs the medium upwards. If you come back from the water's edge you're looking around 700's

10. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

As someone who has retired to “God’s waiting room“ - one of the oldest demographics in Australia - these places have a lot to offer. Great bus service, all the medical amenities, lots of hobby clubs etc. you might not want any of this now but very handy down the track.

11. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Hervey Bay ?

12. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear Geoff.
    Regarding Shellharbour, I should have been more specific- near Shellharbour City Centre.. which still only a 5-10 minute drive to the beach.
    I just wanted to know if you would consider the Illawarra region, as it’s closer to Sydney than Nowra is- could be useful? You mentioned 2/2/1 would be fine- newish or something renovated ok?
    E.g. (sorry, slightly higher than budget)
    https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-mount+warrigal-133260658

Last edited: 26th May, 2020
  13. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Port has good aged care

Sis has a place in currarong, but thats a long hike from there to newey in a Zimmer frame :)

ta

rolf

wilso8948 likes this.
  14. geoffw

We had a look at Nowra and surrounds - Callala Beach, Huskisson, Ulladulla and Bateman's Bay. The areas are good, and the prices around Nowra especially were very good. But my wife didn't like the feel of Nowra, perhaps partially because the drive from Canberra is very winding and goes through a LOT of burnt-out areas.

So we've started looking at Newcastle and surrounds, being closer to our daughter. There are some developments around East Maitland which offer some good value. Though the winter gets a little colder there than Newie, and the summer somewhat hotter.

We had a look at a block in Mount Hutton which looked good, however, the slope raised the build cost over our budget - and at our age, we're wary of anything requiring steps.

There is some new development at Fern Bay, just north of Stockton, which looks very attractive. The prices are good, the climate is good, there's national park close by, and there's the sea breeze. The beach itself isn't swimmable, but that's ok. It's half an hour from our daughter, which is a good distance - it gives her a little bit of distance from us, but not too much.

So that's where we are. That could change next week, but we'll see.

It also depends on the appraisal of our place, which will be happening tomorrow.

Last edited: 24th Jun, 2020
    skater, BuyersAgent, Lizzie and 2 others like this.
  15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have some good options.

Will it be easy to sell your house, is the market ok?

geoffw likes this.
  16. wilso8948

wilso8948 Well-Known Member

Grew up in Stocko. You're onto a winner. Are you referring to Fern Bay? As you said bit of a hike through scrub to get to shark infested waters. But the estates are nice. Big plans for Nth Stocko with a badly needed shopping center. Close to airport and be wary of bushfires in the area. Can get hot in summer but sea breezes help.

Serveman likes this.
  17. geoffw

Thanks for the feedback!

Yes, sorry, Fern Bay. I've corrected my post. I guess I was thinking of Sea Change.

We live close to bush where we are, so bushfires are always an issue. We'll be moving away from a higher bushfire risk.

Coastal Newcastle appears to be not often above 40⁰C, so more bearable than the 45ºC a little inland.

The shopping centre isn't going to be a big one, probably an IGA.

18. geoffw

The market is strong ATM, there hasn't been a lot of stock on the market. REA suggests a possible drop in autumn next year. But I'll get a better idea of that when he comes for his appraisal tomorrow. I've dealt with him over many years, he has always been spot on.

Our property includes a high standard granny flat, well separated from the house, with strong rental. This could restrict the number of buyers, but it may help some segments. It will be a pity to lose that income.

MTR likes this.
  19. wilso8948

wilso8948 Well-Known Member

Temps drop as soon as you are on the Northern side of Stocko bridge.

There are plans for a Woolies at Williamtown from memory. The IGA in Stocko is good for essentials but expensive. I was a noble employee for 8 yrs. Closest larger shops are Mayfield and that involves going 'over to town'. This isn't such a big issue now that Kooragang island is dual lane. This caused major issues in the past.

Fern Bay is great for retirees. There are over 55s villages near the estates and cater for that demographic. The golf course is world class.

George Smiley and geoffw like this.
  20. Zeehan

Zeehan Well-Known Member

It might pay to do a bit of research on the Williamtown contamination issue. I think I remember Fern Bay might have been impacted. It is a lovely spot though.

geoffw likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia