NSW Where to retire?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by geoffw, 30th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Hey @geoffw sea change hey?! Sounds nice :)
    Depending on how far up you want to go I'd be checking out both the CC and the Coffs areas. We bought an apt a few years ago on the CC (near Long Jetty) and we love getting away from Sydney up there. Easy walk to beach, lakes, shops, cafes, medical centre. Max $600K budget you can get some cute cottages even almost on the lake side if you look hard enough.
    eg: https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-nsw-the+entrance-133088914
    Could do with some updating but sold $560K and is within cooee of the lakes....
    Happy hunting!

Gforce, geoffw and ellejay like this.
  2. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

I reckon you should retire to the Gold Coast, Medellin or somewhere in Oaxaca

3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Any of those would be good, if I was allowed to travel there.

The Grinch likes this.
  4. geoffw

Thank you everybody for your input.

I've taken place suggestions and attempted to refine them further- expanding places in the Central Coast particularly.

The list is sorted in postcode order.

I've used realestate.com.au to get the median prices for houses.

I've used an arbitrary cutoff for the median price of $550,000.

For those under $550,000 I've checked out the closest Woolworths, Coles, Aldi and Bunnings. These are almost ubiquitous - this doesn't cut out many places. Just Gloucester basically.

I'm left with these places:
    • Batemans Bay
    • Berkely Vale
    • Boolaroo
    • Budgewoi
    • Coffs Harbour
    • East Maitland
    • Glendale
    • Gorokan
    • Gosford
    • Lake Haven
    • Lake Munmorah
    • Mannering Park
    • Mayfield West
    • Morriset
    • Nowra
    • Port Macquarie
    • Taree
    • Toronto
    Any thoughts on these, any blinding errors, or any omissions from the full list would be welcome. (I know for instance that there are areas of Newcastle which could perhaps have fitted my criteria)

Thanks!

2020-05-05 (2).png

BuyersAgent likes this.
  5. wilso8948

wilso8948 Well-Known Member

Are you more of a bushland, lake kind of person or beaches?

ellejay, Gforce and geoffw like this.
  6. geoffw

A good question, thanks.

I like beaches and bushland, but not passionately. It would be nice being a bit close to the beach, say a 20 minute drive, but I'm not fond of higher prices and holiday crowds frequently associated with beaches. I live next to bushland, and I enjoy the outlook, though I don't often go walking there.

7. wilso8948

Our ex PPOR turned IP is in Toronto on the Western side of Lake Mac. The CBD is nice with cafes and waterfront foreshore. Western side is mostly bushland with Lake pockets. Good access to M1. Has its rough areas.

Morriset is a bit rough but has trainline to Syd (as does most of Western Lake Mac) and plans to make a decent hub in the future. It can be a 30 min drive to the nearest beach as you need to loop around the lake.

Eastern side has beaches but is busy and probably out of your price range.

I've visited parts of central coast but never spent significant time there. Too "Bitsy" for me.

Mayfield is a gentrifying suburb of Newcastle. Good access to CBD with infrastructure growing. Demographics can be polarizing. Probably the Newtown of Newcastle I guess.

Glendale has decent shops. Lots of FHB picking up cosmetic renos and nearby land estates.

East Maitland much the same but further out. Big shopping center and new Hospital

Taree/Coffs/Port - different discussion to Newcastle and surrounds. All lovely places with great beaches and waterways and well serviced. Less job prospects, harder to access by plane etc. Coffs is a big place. Port Mac and Taree smaller. Port Mac more beaches, Taree more river.

Danyool, Doncossack75 and geoffw like this.
  8. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

Look around some of those areas too. Eg Glendale have a look at Edgeworth. East Maitland look at surrounding more rural settlements eg Largs, Morpeth amongst others. Mayfield there are lots of options including Waratah.

Your list is very diverse, you are on an interesting journey. Best wishes to you

Gforce, wilso8948 and geoffw like this.
  9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Avoid boolaroo like the plague, still had massive leaf smelter issues.

Consider rathmines, booragul, dora creek areas

Also wouldn't go Glendale ... have you looked at old bar? Near major hub of taree with large hospital and domestic airport, but a lovely self contained, friendly community. It was our second choice after Stockton

Last edited: 8th May, 2020
  10. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

Has it run past your mind retiring in Perth? Just curious...:cool:

11. geoffw

With one daughter in Newcastle, and the other in Melbourne, probably not.

And honestly, if we were going to live a long way from them, I'd rather live somewhere where two mad travellers would be really wanting to come and visit. Latin America would be good.

12. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

*** lead smelter .. stupid phone

13. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

As I grow older, it’s important to have loved ones close by. Which daughter looks after you better? Move to that city. Simple, if I were you. Sometimes it’s better to visit a nice town than retiring there. What about Melbourne? I think it’s nice there. :D

14. geoffw

I don't think either daughter will stay in one place long term. The only reason that one is still in Melbourne is because of coronavirus - her study program and Bendigo could be studied online without moving out of her place.

It's more important that we can be easily reached, probably within two hours of a capital.

15. The Grinch

The Grinch Well-Known Member

Personally I've always liked north of sydney a lot more than the south of sydney climate wise but this is always personal preference.

I like coffs harbour, very peaceful and relaxed although it is a further distance from the capitals than say Newcastle central coast amd nowra.

Not sure if it has been said but maybe try renting in an area first before you commit and realize you aren't happy where you are.

Interested to see where you do end up going and how you settle in.

Please keep us updated :)

HUGH72, ellejay, ndpjai and 2 others like this.
  16. Nemo30

Nemo30 Well-Known Member

My mum moved from Canberra to Coffs Harbour to retire and loved it. The climate was much milder, although they did get a lot of rain and flooding.

There's about 70k people there (many of whom are retired) so has all the services/shops you need. The hospital is large. Restaurants and cafes are plentiful and beaches are great.

Downside is it's really out of the way. There is a decent airport but flights are expensive. It's a 5 hour drive from either Bris or Sydney. It wasn't easy to visit often... And we didn't.

wilso8948 and geoffw like this.
  17. wilso8948

This is a great summary of Coffs. Accessibility is a nightmare and $$. Which may be perfect in Retirement for some!

18. ttn

ttn Well-Known Member

19. wilso8948

ttn likes this.
  20. ttn

ttn Well-Known Member

could be someone else's treasure :D

wilso8948 likes this.