Where to move from Sydney!

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by dragon, 4th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. dragon

dragon Well-Known Member

Market seems going get aggresive in sydney and will come back to 2017 july level in few months / weeks . With that Sydney won’t attract many to live.

For me last 22 months trend doesn’t show a correction. Indeed it looks we going have another boom soon based on buyer’s sentiment.

My question is if people want to leave sydney where will they go? So we invest there now..

2. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Seems to be a lot of Sydney and Melbourne folk moving up to the Sunshine Coast. I can’t back that up with any numbers - it’s purely based on my own observations.

Especially those with online businesses or the ability to work from home. Property prices are cheaper and the lifestyle is cruisier.

Cheers

Jamie

Whitecat and EN710 like this.
  3. VB King

VB King Well-Known Member

If you’re bullish on Sydney but are concerned about Sydney prices, look at areas within commute of Sydney.
    Eg, I’m based on Central Coast - 1 hour train to Central & M1 to M2 connection will simplify road commute.
    I see lots of people going to work either by train or road, all heading to Sydney.
    That is, the area is supported by Sydney employment.
    Look also south to Wollongong & west to the Blue Mountains.

4. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

1h train from Central Coast to Central?

5. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Er...what do you do? Where are jobs in your industry? What sort of lifestyle do you want?

6. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

There only should be a one word answer to this : ‘Brisbane’.

Jana, Propin, mickyyyy and 3 others like this.
  7. Cate Bell

Cate Bell Well-Known Member

Brisbane

8. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

I belong to a coffee club [all retirees] and last Thursday when we met discovered we all came from Sydney ... :D I live in the Lake Macquarie/Newcastle area.

EN710 likes this.
  9. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    Why?

Why not Nowra? Why not Goulburn? Why not Port Stephens? Why not Coffs Harbour? Why not Orange? Why not Kiama?

10. standtall

Because a good deal of Sydneysiders can move to Brisbane and hope to find a comparable job in their profession. I can’t say the same for regional places you have mentioned.

Ross 355 likes this.
  11. euro73

What about treechangers and sea changers?

And how about we invert the argument to % instead of numbers?

If Orange has 40,000 people and an additional 400 move there, thats 1% population growth

Or if Goulburn has 20,000 people and an additional 200 move there, that's 1% population growth.

If Brisbane has 2.5 Million people it requires 25,000 new residents to achieve 1% population growth

I think larger regionals are the better investment right now.... cheaper/more affordable. stronger population growth from retirees and young families who are priced out of traditional locations more and more. Lower vacancy rates ( because they havent been overbuilt with apartments) and better yields.

I own several properties in Brisbane ( Windsor, Alderley and Mt Gravatt ) so I hope you are right - but it's been "promising" for many years and has largely failed to deliver. Hope that changes.

12. standtall

Look I agree these are valid points but populations around the world have continued to cluster around city centers since the dawn of Industrial Age and the trend doesn't seem to be slowing. Property prices have always grown in proportion to the proximity to the centers of business. Anyone who has invested against this trend really hasn’t had much success - we all have a friend or two who sold their inner city apartment to buy a house or two in regionals and now are struggling to retire.

Whitecat likes this.
  13. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Canberra :p

Jamesaurus likes this.
  14. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

Brisbane.
    1. Weather
    2. Affordability, House/apartments within 10km range from 2-3x income upwards
    3. lifestyle
    4. Commutes are good from pretty much anywhere
    5. People I find are friendlier

Propin, QldKoolies and Whitecat like this.
  15. VB King

VB King Well-Known Member

Yes.
    My closest station is Gosford.
    Take an express - Gosford / Woy Woy / Hornsby / Epping / Strathfield / Redfern / Central.

16. Cate Bell

Why? Why would you look outside a capital city? Depends what properties you are holding in Brisbane, if you are holding houses with good land content in Brisbane, you would have seen capital growth, if you are holding units- well than that is another story. I have properties in Brisbane City Council/Redlands/Moreton Bay and PPOR in Ashgrove. Alderley is doing well, what isn't to like? I am buying more in Brisbane, wouldn't be touching any regionals.

Attached Files:

• ald.PNG
      ald.PNG
      File size:
      28 KB
      Views:
  17. euro73

There are plenty of reasons.

For Owner Occupiers- Lifestyle, Affordability and Health are just three. You've posted an 873K median... not everyone can afford that, including plenty of Sydneysiders who rent here dont own here.

As an investor, tight vacancy rates and excellent yields are two more.

If everyone only wanted city living , which comes with traffic, queues and air pollution.... we wouldn't have Orange, , Ballina, Ballarat , Mildura, Port Macquarie, Nowra or any number of other regionals, thriving as they are. Yet, they are thriving...so obviously there are people who prefer those places to the state capitals.

I can speak intelligently on Orange as I am actively involved in selling Dual Occ's there, so know it well.... and I can speak intelligently on Port Macquarie as I have close friends who migrated there and constantly harp on about how we should sell up and see the light .... I have visited many times and know it relatively well also .... and in both locations there has been strong growth in the last few years, both capital and rental growth. Orange is in fact the most consistent market in the nation over the past 20 years, growth wise. Not the biggest, but the most consistent. For investors who value consistency over volatility, that is a point worth appreciating as well ...

I haven't suggested there is anything wrong with Brisbane. I have simply asked, why is Brisbane the only location someone from Sydney should consider moving to? Why can't some regional locations also hold appeal? That is all

wilso8948 likes this.
  18. Cate Bell

This is why I quoted houses in Alderley! It seemed to infer that properties haven't done anything in Brisbane for "many years", which is simply incorrect if you have invested in the right property and the right product in the last 10 years, you would have done well :) . Most people would be extremely happy if they owned a property in Alderley at the moment and finding these trends. I invest, for the very long term (have held properties for over 30 years), I don't gamble so that is why I would not invest in the areas that you have listed. However, I do have a property which has done extremely well in a very popular location outside a capital city, but that is a lifestyle property and was more a matter of luck (with a very small purchase price) that has been held for 3 cycles- it really wouldn't have mattered if there was zero capital growth for this one property due to other factors.
    LOL- well that isn't a surprise! I don't have anything to sell! Orange would be somewhere that I would not invest in!

19. Cate Bell

Yes, this is one suburb that you mentioned. However, there are plenty of properties that have medians around the $500k that are very affordable that have experienced good capital growth. I have properties that have had double digit capital growth for the last 5 years in Brisbane/Moreton Bay. The focus has been elsewhere, while good properties have been consistently performing in SE Queensland.

20. euro73

Anyone holding all their resi assets in one market only , is nuts in my view . Especially SEQLD, where the sheer volume of interstate investor sales can diminish the value of even the most prudent investors portfolios ..... But if it’s working for you , well done. Brisbane , and SEQLD more generally , are not the only worthwhile markets in the country though. Plenty of other places people can also do well.

As I said - nothing wrong with Brisbane . But it’s not utopia .

Last edited: 4th Jun, 2019
    craigc and Whitecat like this.