Where to go...

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by hen.sl, 19th Dec, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. hen.sl

hen.sl Active Member

I am unsure where to go to get unbiased advice. I sold an IP and now have cash in a bank account. I don't particularly want to jump back into the property market as I am uncomfortable with the prices at this stage. But...what to do with the money? There is a lot and it is just sitting in an offset account against my mortgage. I have been to a financial planner years ago but later found out he probably wasn't an unbiased person. So what do you do and where do you go?

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We are pondering this exact situation. Sell one IP and put money somewhere else, into superannuation using the three year bring forward rule, set up a SMSF, or maybe do nothing and don't sell the property because making a decision is just too hard...

Jason is our insurance broker but he's also a financial adviser and we plan on taking our "what do we do?" question to him next year to help us make a decision.

I have no link to Jason apart from being a very satisfied client of his in the insurance area for many years.

Image 19-12-21 at 2.50 pm.jpg

3. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

Perhaps diversify? Have you through about ETFs/Lics?

4. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

There's a lot about your situation that we don't know, and the biggest thing, is your comfort level. Any comments would be based on your age, other debts/assets, comfort with investing in other classes, your plans...

I was in this situation after selling recently. I was 1000% going to bolster my ETF portfolio until interest rates increased (say 2024-2025) to put it into the non-deductible mortgage, but then I considered tax implications of selling shares and worked through where I want to go/be in a few years time, and the non-deductible mortgage benefited.

As @wylie said, it's best to sit down with someone to unpack things you probably haven't thought about....