QLD Where to go if I have a dispute with my Property Manager?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Orion, 26th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

I am having a major dispute with my Property Manager (based in QLD).

They made a mistake drawing up a lease which has cost me $1,500 dollars. They first admitted to it and offered to make good, but have changed their tune. I tried to raise it with the Principle and just received a fiery email to take my business elsewhere.

Is there some kind of Industry Ombudsman I can talk to?

I need some help to take things further.

Thank you.

2. AaronCG

AaronCG Member

Michael Mitchell, HUGH72 and Orion like this.
  3. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Thank you!

Just wondering, do you know if I may need to attend something in person in QLD if it gets to a certain stage?

I ask because I am based in Victoria and want to make sure the PM will take this seriously.

I'm concerned they may see it as an empty threat if there is a requirement to travel at some point.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  4. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Good luck!
    ive had my fair share of disputes with PM/agencies,
    been to court once,
    had one where ive escalated it to head office, eventually they fobbed me off after initially pretending to care, and it was a well known chain
    and as a result generally had a low opinion of PMs, however thats improved a lot with recent good experiences,

is your PM part of a national chain, then you can complain to the head office
    you can also write google reviews and other review sites

Tom Rivera likes this.
  5. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

If they are a member office with the REIQ you can get them involved, but otherwise Office of Fair Trading is the main option.

If you need to take legal action through QCAT or similar, it's likely you'll need to be present in Queensland or involve some sort of local representation.

6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I wonder if it is worth seeing if a letter from a lawyer at this early stage might make them sit up and take notice? I don't know how much that would cost, but if you push them to QCAT and cannot attend yourself, you will need to bring in a lawyer, won't you?

7. Phoenix Pete

Phoenix Pete Well-Known Member

What was the error? Was the rent (on the lease) less than what it should have been?

Michael Mitchell and Stoffo like this.
  8. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

One for the taxation members, would the attendance to QCAT be a tax deductable expense (all travel and accommodation expenses) ?

I'd take it to QCAT an ensure that my flight back was 7 days after my flight up (I so want a few days away from the normal !)...

Orion and Michael Mitchell like this.
  9. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Not an issue. Minor civil disputes are heard by teleconference not in person. You won't have to travel to the court (practice direction no 5).

Orion, Michael Mitchell and Stoffo like this.
  10. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Well-Known Member

Interested to know more about the particular issue then will offer my 2c :)

PM me if you want.

11. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Sure. A mistake was made when the lease was originally written up and it's in relation to water charging.

In the lease there are two sections where the PM can tick who is paying for water, in full or just the excess, that type of thing.

The agreement was for the tenant to pay, however in one section they wrote the tenant is to pay, but in the other, that the landlord is to pay.

Problems have happened with two properties, but in just the current instance that I'm disputing, the water bill is over $1,000.

I wanted to 50/50 the cost with the PM, but they want me to pay in full.

(The issue becomes a little more complicated as the PM cannot locate my old water compliance certificate, appears to have been lost during PM handover from my old PM years ago. They claim this is the reason why they could not charge, which I also dispute - it's discussed in my other thread).

12. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

Just wow! What a bunch of unprofessional clowns, I'll bet it will be your word against theirs.