Where to get good affordable furnitures?

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by ATANG, 19th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

Does anyone know where to get good quality furnitures like sofas, bed frame with reasonable price in Melbourne? Many I saw were ridiculously expensive....

2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Forget tranditional retail. Try Gumtree. And then also look at Ebay.
    Lots of people need to sell their stuff when they move. I try to buy second hand Ikea furniture from gumtree. Good quality generally. Unknown brands can break or just be poor quality.

For things like chairs that are subject to a lot of use, its best to see the condition that they are in before committing to buy. Sometimes its excellent and sometimes its not worth it.

I have a colleague who bought a new home. She got rid of pretty much all her furniture (and would have gotten not much for it all because it all depreciates so quickly) and bought new. She spent ~ $1600 on a fridge. (Fancy pants one that has the ice dispenser on the outside). But she could have bought a good secondhand one for $400-$600. Within 6 months nobody is going to care that it was brand new. She also had massive problems with getting that fridge delivered and it probably took 8 weeks longer than planned. (Unfortunately... her consumerism does annoy me... Friday I saw she went shopping, and it appeared to be the looks to be clothes and a box of shoes. Another time for her husband's birthday she went and bought her husband about 7 tops and showed them all to me... I think its overboard)... she also spends a lot of time at work being on shopping websites.... anyway I digressed... oh well....

Anyway.... that is how you can save a lot when furnishing a house...

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Go cruising the streets when council has a hard rubbish pickup or drive through areas with lots of flats where tenants throw dtuff out rather than move it when they leave.

Last week neighbours threw out a queen bed and mattress, tv e t c.

Gockie likes this.
  4. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

johnnysfurniture.com.au does ex rentals, hotels and old stock retail furniture shops

5. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Yeah.. I second this. (Well, I'd be wary of used mattresses found on the streets, but anything else is ok). Note some councils no longer have scheduled collections but you have to call them if you have stuff you want collected (E.g. Ryde Council). But when people move out in one of my blocks the stuff they leave ends up in a storage room... not everybody in the block knows about it but you can get free furniture from there...

6. jodes

jodes Well-Known Member

I second eBay and Gumtree- having been both the buyer and seller I can attest there are some great bargains to be had ! We furnished our entire apartment (as it was going on Airbnb) for around $1,500- it looked really great (and its not just me saying that!)
    A warning about fridges though (and i'll say this with a caveat of we were idiots)- a dodgy seller can pump a fridge that has a dodgy leak with gas which lasts about a day and makes them appear to be running well and you won't know they have until they stop getting cold. And then they will never return your phone calls and you might get stuck with a dodgy unfixable fridge- we will only make that mistake once !!!

7. House

House Well-Known Member

There's also Fantastic Furniture who are reasonably priced and of reasonable quality. Is it for an IP or our own home?

8. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

IKEA have a good spread from cheap and functional to a bit more expensive and better quality. Grabbing that new or secondhand might be an idea.

9. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Ikea are good for buying and selling.
    If you buy 2nd hand ikea, there's a good chance you will sell it back for a similar amount later on (pending condition of course).

This is because ikea has a price point that can be easily obtained.

10. srirang

srirang Well-Known Member

Gumtree and eBay definitely to start with. We have bought and sold many of our furniture. Quality can vary, but if you spend time, you can find some good ones at reasonable prices. We have bought 2 beds, 2 large coffee tables for about $500 all up including delivery.