where to get cheap curtains

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Seal, 7th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Seal

Seal Well-Known Member

Can anyone point me to where you get curtains for new IP. need some blockout ones and some others. Prefer eyelet curtains, as cheap and easy maintenance.

Dean Collins likes this.
  2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

My neighbour got very nice ones at a good price (all reduced) from Spotlight

legallyblonde and Seal like this.
  3. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

KMart have a good range and $40 a pair for eyelet blockouts.

Seal likes this.
  4. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

Spotlight has awesome sales. I got 5 windows worth for just over 200

Seal likes this.
  5. Gockie

Hi Folks... I want to get new window coverings for 2 properties I own. They currently have verticals but for the most part are looking bad now.
    I want to go with curtains (tab top or eyelet variety, prefer no draw strings), but there is a kitchen window above a sink and the vertical on that window is now fithy from years of all the splashes from washing dishes. I'd like to know what kind of window treatment you'd suggest to use in this situation. I can only think something like a Roman blind might be the go for this particular window (I don't want a roller blinds).
    I also think it would have to be either easy clean or hide dirt well (or both). Or I buy 2 and wash that curtain regularly.

Anybody have ideas or suggestions?

Last edited: 17th Sep, 2016
    legallyblonde likes this.
  6. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I wonder whether you really need to have anything there at all? If it's west or north aspect, then yes.
    You can get those little curtains especially for kitchen windows. They're often frilly or meshy but you might be able to find something substantial from spotlight or online.
    Basically they generally start half way down a tall window with a very short horizontal piece and two pull back curtains at the side. They are easy to throw in the washing machine. Let me try to find a photo.
    Finding difficult to post pictures due to copyright. Gockie, google kitchen window curtains images. Google is your friend.:)

7. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

$2 shop

Scott No Mates likes this.
  8. Nemo30

Nemo30 Well-Known Member

A faux wood white timber venetian thin slats (25mm). Modern look and can wipe clean. Depending on window size can be picked up cheaply at bunnings or spotlight.

9. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

For IPs I have gotten then from the reject shop, the warehouse etc probably the cheapest you will find. Also if you are handy with a sewing machine they are pretty easy to make, can get the fabric etc from Spotlight

10. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Wooden or aluminum venetians, so splashes can be wiped off.

Why not roller blinds?

11. Gockie

Roller blinds also end up looking really bad when they've had dirty water splashed everywhere for a while

12. Spiderman

Spiderman Well-Known Member

Op-shops, especially the smaller and more independent ones, often have curtains for a few dollars.

SeafordSunshine likes this.
  13. Gockie

I bought the curtain fabric to make my own (eyelets are all there so its cut and sew to size)! Went to Spotlight. Huge range. I can completely recommend. I bought a variety that is premium but it was 30% off. I'm happy with it. :)

The curtains are for one of my Airbnbs and for another one of my rentals.

Therefore there's no way I'd be buying that from an Op shop. (I want my curtains to match). Especially in a property that have on Airbnb. People pay good money to stay and leave reviews. It needs to look good and it just wouldn't work with the feel of the whole apartment if the curtains were mismatched in a funny way. (And if they do happen to damage the curtain... I can charge them!)

As to the kitchen window... Current plan is to use the el cheapo blinds from Ikea... they look fine but also ok to throw away and replace as required.

Btw saw my old nightfill manager at Spotlight... after many years he only just started working at Spotlight a few weeks ago. OMG! I think he's about ~65yo. Great man. And I can't believe he's still working in retail!

14. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Gockie for your Brisbane Bayside IP - Timms Curtain House of Capalaba (Bev Timms and family) very reasonably priced and will measure fit and install including curtain rail. I think they do all over Brisbane.

15. Gockie

Ta for next time! I got roller blinds installed for that one. :D

16. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@Gockie - another vote roller blinds. Get the perforated/semi-see through type in a dark colour to hide the marks.

17. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Spotlight has sales all the time.
    Eyelet curtains are pretty easy, standard sizes I think.

18. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Depends on width of window and whether you want the curtain in one piece. Generally Spotlight is the place for cheapie stock (when on special). With that said, I have seen installations where folks have put in a couple of less-wide curtains to make up the width. If the property is compatible with this plan (lower budget properties) then there is nothing wrong with this. For a rental. But for sales use the correct width.

19. Starlite

Starlite Well-Known Member

Got about 10 sets of blockout eyelet curtains from ebay recently for a bit over $200.. chose those that are washable.. its pretty good material and soft.. works well and worth the money.. got cheap poles from ikea.

20. Gockie

Wow. Great effort!