Where to find livable minimal outlay studio/bedsit

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Jimsy Ross, 1st Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jimsy Ross

Jimsy Ross New Member

Hello all,

I have $35,000 for a deposit and hope to take advantage of any first home owner programs available (I have never owned a property).

I am hoping to buy something I can live in (my needs are minimal to the extreme) but would like one of the old style bedsit/studio type properties, preferably unrenovated. I'm looking in Queensland, Victoria or Adelaide but would like to narrow my search to areas that might have these type of properties in higher number or at least more likely to be unrenovated propositions.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks for your time in advance.

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

3. Jimsy Ross

Jimsy Ross New Member

4. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Kitchen, bedroom bathroom and a parking bay. What more do you want? Might even have freeway views

Pingu1988 likes this.
  5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

How much can you borrow?

The Y-man

6. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

If you need to be in the South East of Qld, woodridge, some areas of ipswich are options. Brisbane CBD/Valley/Spring Hill has some cheaper small places, but maybe you need 250K all up.

If you want to go to the tropics, Ingham is pretty cheap. Forrest Beach is cheap and quite nice (watch the cyclones).

Super cheap places might have flood issues, so just watch out for that.

Minimal needs ppl may like the ambience of the moreton bay islands ..... land is cheap. You really have to be sure you like it, so visiting first makes sense.

I did notice that some hotels are selling rooms that don't have kitchens, or car parks. They can be cheaper, although sometimes have expensive body corp. I don't think they are good value.

if i had to pick a place in Bris CBD that was bedsit, i would pick this one! pretty expensive Body corp i would expect.

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-qld-brisbane+city-132724354

good luck

7. BunnyXiao

BunnyXiao Well-Known Member

This was my thinking too when I bought a one-bedroom tiny apartment in Canberra. Trouble is later I was retrenched from work. I left the country to start a new life. Now that property is a terrible investment. The land tax came in and is super expensive and I also pay rates. Strata went from 700 a quarter to over a thousand a quarter. And as others sold out cheap in the block, what others sell for determined my future sales price. On top of all too many apartments in Canberra. Tax laws also changed so now I have to pay CGT on my home as an over 6 yrs expat. Now I have this albatross I don't know what to do with. So be careful my friend.

bamp likes this.
  8. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

I stayed in this building for a couple of weeks about ten years ago
    Can confirm that it has exceptional freeway views

Pingu1988 and Westminster like this.
  9. The Grinch

The Grinch Well-Known Member

Depends how much LVR you are willing to take on. For 35k and depending where you buy at 10% you can get a decent 3 bed 1 bathroom which may perform better than a studio apartment.

Just food for thought.

Firefly99 likes this.
  10. Zeehan

Zeehan Well-Known Member

Check out 188 Peel Street, North Melbourne. Some apartments are leased to City Edge, but I think there are others owner/occupied. They look to be quite well-equipped. You might not even need to buy furniture.

11. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Marketed as "river views".

12. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Yes! A "river" of cars during peak hour traffic