Where to find inventory levels

Discussion in 'Property Information Resources & Tools' started by brisinvestor, 28th May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. brisinvestor

brisinvestor New Member

Hi all,

Might be a silly question, what do you guys use to find accurate inventory levels across suburbs?

Cheers,

Ben

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

What do you expect to find and how will it help you make investment decisions?

Mark F and The Y-man like this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Inventory across Brisvegas is very low ie tenants are complaining about the lack of rentals.

Using vacancy rate as a metric will let you buy a dud in the current climate.

You need to determine the % of dwellings which are O/O or tenanted

4. tomerayz

tomerayz Well-Known Member

out of curiosity, what’s a good % of O/O vs investor owned/Tenanted?

5. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

Inventory (otherwise known as stock on market or total listings) is one metric. This is the amount of homes being marketed for sale at any one time - usually expressed in raw numbers.

Rental Vacancy Rate - the number of empty rentals being marketed for rent at any one time expressed as a percentage. (The word inventory could be used for rentals too so be careful to check what you are measuring)

Ratio between owner occ and investor owned properties is a third metric and independent from both of the above metrics.

6. brisinvestor

brisinvestor New Member

I want to understand how much stock is on market in an area, and what the trend has been leading up to this point. Its one of many many factors i am studying.

7. brisinvestor

brisinvestor New Member

Thanks @BuyersAgent thats exactly right, the Inventory or Stock on Market is what i am looking for. Do you know what the most reliable source of this data would be? possibly RP Data/ Core Logic? i don't have a subscription but definitely keen to look at this data.

8. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

SQM is free and does this pretty well. If you want more detailed sales history for individual properties and run price estimates then you need either Pricefinder or RP Data (paid). I have wholesale accounts to both if you want a subscription send me a message.

9. snoop13

snoop13 Member

What would you like to know?
    Of my last 5 property deals 3 were not advertised online.
    Of the 3 "off markets" one was direct to vendor no agent (so I call that pure off market) the other 2 had agents but neither were going public with a sale for private reasons.
    I do not believe I pushed up prices but perhaps 1 of them you could make that case (it was a premium property). The others definitely not.
    I have spent 10 years building relationships with agents along the coast so they call me and I call them (a lot).
    There is a lot of "hype" around pre market listings - much of which is just fluff and noise. 80% of it is just "pre market" where an agent will tell a BA about a listing 1-2 weeks prior to going online. I do that too but I don't call it off market.
    Much of what we do is just get to the front of the best listings a bit faster than by waiting to view stock on the websites.

Hi there, BuyersAgent,
    I apologise for my lengthy delay in replying I guess what I was trying to establish is whether buying properties before they are advertised, i.e. go on the market or online, is a better proposition…? I mean: not going through the competitive hype of going through an auction surely would be (a) less stressful, (b) allow for better negotiation without disadvantaging seller & vendor…?
    I know of a young couple who just purchased their 3rd IP and during his search, every time he saw good deals, by the time he enquired they were “under contract” - he soon found out the buyer’s agents were snapping them up quick and smart. This got me thinking … why aren’t BAs becoming more popular? Perhaps they are… yet all we hear about is frenzied auction scenarios that in fact keep pushing up prices…
    I’m still learning and hoping to pass on the “wisdom” to my children :)

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.