Where to buy PPOR in Melbourne for $1.6 million

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by malleybull, 7th Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. malleybull

malleybull Well-Known Member

Evening all

Just wanted some feedback on what everyone thoughts are on the best suburbs to purchase a PPOR in Melbourne that is in a good public high school zone in the $1.5 to $1.6 million dollar range.

Currently I am living in Altona in a small 1950's weatherboard house that is getting too small for my growing family.

I like Altona and living by the beach is great but it does not have a good public high school and the supply of suitable housing stock is limited.

As such I am looking to sell my current PPOR in Altona and purchase a new PPOR in a suburb with the following attributes;

1. Maximum price of $1.6 million
    2. Within a 40 minute train ride to the CBD (closer the better)
    3. Within a "good" public high school zone
    4. Large 4 bedroom house (would also like a pool but not essential)
    5. Suburb with good "livability"

I have narrowed my search down to the following suburbs / schools

1. Viewbank College (Viewbank, Heildeberg, Rossana)

Pros
    - Close(ish) to the city
    - Lots of trees and close to the Yarra / Parkland
    - Some very nice properties in my price range (see below)

5 Stone Court, Viewbank VIC 3084 | Domain

Cons
    - Not close to shopping
    - Not much nightlife

2. Strathmore College (Strathmore, Pascoe Vale South, Coburg)

Pros
    - Very close to the city
    - Some reasonable properties in my price range (see below)

21 Grandview Avenue, Pascoe Vale South VIC 3044 | Domain

Cons
    - Close to Essendon Airport (noise pollution)
    - Maybe not as pretty/leafy as other areas

3. Mount Waverly Secondary College (Mount Waverly)

Pros
    - Close to the city
    - Some decent properties in my price range (see below)

14 Sampson Drive, Mount Waverley VIC 3149 | Domain

Cons
    - Maybe a little quiet / suburban for my tastes

4. Vermont Secondary College (Vermont, Vermont South)

Pros
    - Some very nice properties in my price range (see below)

9 Bagleys Lane, Vermont VIC 3133 | Domain

Cons
    - Maybe a little far from the CBD / nearest train line
    - Maybe a little quiet / suburban for my tastes

I would really appreciate feedback from everyone, especially posters that live / have lived in these suburbs.

Also if I have missed any schools / areas that meet my criteria please let me know.

Cheers!

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

3. malleybull

Thanks Y man

Only thing is Doncaster is a fair distance from any train line.

But it ticks all the other boxes.

4. fantail

fantail Well-Known Member

I can comment on some of those areas - extensively on two.
    I don't know anything about Strathmore - never lived or worked there and no friends/family in that zone.
    Viewbank - I agree with what you say about this place - yes, some parts very leafy and extensive parklands. If you can get something near those 'green wedges' you'd have nice backdrop or outlook. Not sure about the schools.
    Austin Hospital nearby and good shopping strip (Burgundy Street?)
    BUT.........unless Rosanna Rd. has been upgraded in recent times, you'll tear your hair out if you have to use this road in peak hour or even on weekends - An arterial road therefore sooooo busy with heavy traffic much of the time so traffic jams are par for the course.
    Mt.Waverley - the suburb itself has quite a lot of parkland and walking trails but this part is quite average. The house you've provided link for , IMO this is not an ideal pocket of Mt. Waverley because - it's not near to shopping or station, it's close to the Monash Freeway and would be fairly noisy - then again, the on ramps to the Monash (both directions) are on Forster Rd. The area just past the freeway is light industrial - e.g. kitchen and bathroom suppliers, cabinetmakers, small factoriettes and engineering companies. Nearest shopping is either Pinewood (Blackburn Rd.) - a good local shopping square for everyday shopping and a small multi-screen cinema. Medical services adjoining.
    MountWaverley village is a 5 minute drive away - good everyday shopping. The Mt. Waverley railway station is here. Real estate wise, this is a desirable part of Mt. Waverley.
    There are several other parts of Mt. Waverley that would be worth a look - the general area bounded by Stephensons Rd and Blackburn Rd. and north of Waverley Rd. so just across Waverley Rd from where you've shown .....some little pockets in here that are quite leafy and lots of nice housing. Would be more expensive than the one you've linked I expect.

To me, the one in Vermont South is in a different league to the others I've commented on . If I had to choose between the houses you've listed, this is certainly the one I'd choose for a family PPOR. Terrara Rd. - especially the eastern side - feels quite 'exclusive' and expensive due to some very nice housing on large leafy blocks. Nothing much in the way of amenities within walking distance so no coffee shops or restaurants but a car trip will get you to those at Brentford Square on Canterbury Rd just a short distance away. No station nearby but the area is served by buses and trams to the city travel along Burwood Highway (if you could stand the long journey) You can access Eastlink just down the road (Burwood Highway). Knox City shopping centre is just down Burwood Highway and smaller local shopping centre at Vermont South and another one at Brentford Square on Canterbury Rd.
    Vermont South is probably experiencing some 'ripple effect' from neighbouring Glen Waverley so quite probably a hot market.

Last edited: 8th Apr, 2021
    The Y-man, Patrico1966 and malleybull like this.
  5. malleybull

Wow thanks for that very detailed response fantail!

As always with suburbs you can't just lump all of the streets in that suburb together, you need to identify the areas with the best liveability / growth potential.

I have heard a few people mention the traffic around Rosanna Road so I think I need to visit the area in peak times to determine how bad it really is.

Once again thanks, I really appreciate what you have provided!

6. rjw180

rjw180 Well-Known Member

Buses from Doncaster are actually decent into the city. You can drive to park and ride on intersection of High St and Doncaster Rd (bus goes straight down eastern Freeway) or try and live as close to Doncaster Rd as possible (908 bus goes to park and ride and then straight to city via Freeway).

EDSC is a good school. Also check out DSC though. We checked out both and went with DSC for our son in year 8 this year. Both are good imho but EDSC definitely has the reputation / VCE results.

Viewbank college zone - you'll want to be close to Heidelberg station otherwise buses in that area are fairy unreliable to get to the station. Aesthetically I prefer Donny East to Heidelberg (personal preference) but that option could also work for you.

If going with Vermont, areas close to Mitcham station are also in the zone I believe. A little furtheralong the train line, but good express services to the city so tends to be quite quick

The Y-man and malleybull like this.
  7. rjw180

rjw180 Well-Known Member

Also worth considering Box Hill High school zone. Possible downside is there is a lot of high rises.

Blackburn High also decent (possibly not in the same league in terms of reputation as EDSC) a couple of stops further along the train line from Box Hill. Apparently known for their music program if that is of interest

malleybull likes this.
  8. rjw180

rjw180 Well-Known Member

The fix for Rosanna Road is the north east link. But it's worth considering that there will be a lot of construction happening over the next 5-6 years around there and also through to Bulleen

Last edited: 8th Apr, 2021
    malleybull likes this.
  9. malleybull

I thought about Box Hill as well but it is probably out of my price range for the type of property I want. Although Box Hill North might just be in my range and still in Box Hill High zone.

10. The Y-man

The more sneaky of us leave our cars in untimed streets and parking lots and hop on to 906 or 907 (upstream from the Doncy Park and Ride).

@malleybull check out Journey planner and put in theoretical days and times to compare.

Buses can be faster than trains as a stuffed up signal box or fallen branch can be driven around :)

Also remember a new dedicated busway is being built as part of the NE link which hopefully will jump over the current bus lane clog outbound at the Bulleen Rd junction.

Route 309 is also an outlier I use occasionally for city trips (only run during peak), as well as 902 and 273 to Nunawading stn. The 902 makes a good "shuttle bus" to places you can ditch the car for the day.

(Although one day I am sure the council is gong to turn ALL the streets into "resident parking only" after constant complains from residents about using their street as a "park and ride")

The Y-man

malleybull likes this.
  11. The Y-man

malleybull likes this.
  12. Triton

Triton Well-Known Member

Definitely go with a suburb with train station within walking distance (<15 mins). For that budget, I wouldn't buy in viewbank or Vermont, unless you were keen on a big fancy house.
    Heidelberg is pretty close to both Westfield Doncaster and Northland. Burgundy st shopping strip is becoming better every year.

Aaran91 and malleybull like this.
  13. Ben JH

Ben JH Well-Known Member

hey @malleybull, $1.6 Million is a very healthy budget. There are several great suburbs to choose from:

Heidelberg, Pascoe Vale South, Nunawading, Burwood, Montmorency.

They all have good public high schools, access to public transport, parks, cafes & restaurants

upload_2021-4-8_14-25-28.png

malleybull likes this.
  14. The Y-man

Forest Hill Secondary?? o_O

The Y-man

15. malleybull

I am kind of keen on a big fancy house but still want to be within 15 minute walk of train station if possible.

That is why View Bank seems to fit my requirements.

What would your choice be for my price range?

Cheers.

16. malleybull

Thanks very much for this Ben

I do like Montmorency, nice laid back feel and good houses in my price range, but it seems the state high school there doesn't do that well academically compared to the other areas you have mentioned (also a little further out from the city)

17. The Y-man

Shows the dangers of perception!! Monty is closer to the CBD than Glen Waverly and about the same distance as Blackburn

The Y-man

18. malleybull

Well there you go, I would never have thought that.

Lovely part of Melbourne up in Monty, I have a mate that lives there and he loves it.

Probably just the lack of a good state school holds it back for me.

19. The Y-man

The perception comes about because of the transport routing.

Monty is 18km from CBD
    The trains are "slow" (no or few express from memory)
    No easy road transport route to CBD.

Compared to that Ringwood is 22km+ from CBD, trains run to CBD stopping only at 6 stations, Eastlink/Eastern freeway dumps you straight into CBD

The Y-man

malleybull likes this.
  20. fantail

fantail Well-Known Member

Speaking of trains - some lines are better to travel on than others.
    Friends of ours wouldn't let their teenage sons travel to Frankston unless during busy day times - too much potential for trouble, but that was many years ago so don't know about the personal safety aspects now.
    Glen Waverley is pretty safe - we used to travel on that line to the MCG and never any issues during day or night..

On another note, if you're keen on some ot those northern suburbs, how about Macleod? I have a relative living there and she likes it and travels to the city via train, but schools not a consideration for her though so I don't know what they're like.

malleybull likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia