VIC Where to buy our first home in Melbourne's North/North East

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Kate J, 9th Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Kate J

Kate J Member

My husband and I are renting in Alphington and looking to buy our first home in the next 12 months. We love the idea of Alphington, Ivanhoe East and Eaglemont now we're hoping to start a family, but they're way beyond our $700k budget. We're ideally looking for a 3-bedroom place (unit or townhouse are fine, but not an apartment) within 15km of the CBD, with a preference for the North or North-East.

We want somewhere safe with plenty of trees and access to parks (what we love about Alphington), a train line and at least a couple of good cafes and local shops nearby. As we want to start a family, access to quality childcare, kinder and schools are a must too. And we don't want it to feel like cookie-cutter suburbia.

We've discovered Rosanna, which we love for its beautiful views and trees and proximity to Heidelberg. But I think we could only afford a 2-bedroom unit there. We were also considering Heidelberg Heights, which seems to be rapidly changing, but still a bit dodgy in parts. We've also considered MacLeod and the leafier parts of Reservoir.

Any feedback on these areas or other suggestions?

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

3. The Y-man

If ~17km is ok, have a look at Thomastown.

The Y-man

Kate J likes this.
  4. Kate J

Kate J Member

Cheers. Do you know where the nicer parts of Reservoir are? I know it's pretty diverse.

5. Triton

Triton Well-Known Member

6. The Y-man

If you look at the thread that is linked, it actually talks of Ruthven. I actually like the area around Ruthven west of the rails and the northern reaches of Reservoir closer to Mahoneys ~ have walked and driven around a fair bit looking for IPs in the past, and looks much more "liveable" for my tastes than Res central. The only down side is that shopping etc is a drive proposal.

The Y-man

7. The Y-man

If you had said North/North West, I would have sent you to Broadie and Jacana :D:D:D:D:D

The Y-man

8. Kate J

Kate J Member

Thanks. I've heard Montmorency's nice :)

9. Triton

Triton Well-Known Member

Is thomastown safe? Always seems dodgy based on my limited visits there

10. Kate J

Kate J Member

Great, thanks!

11. The Y-man

I can't say I have spent a night there or anything, but I have walked around on weekends a few times and was quite pleasant. We have an IP near Westgarthtown which is the historic German settlement there.

I have also gotten off the train waiting to be picked up at T-town station - no issues, It's a lot less isolated than Lalor stn. Came very close to buying a house on Main St.

Also, I feel much safer around T-town station that Reservoir stn. Reservoir central just felt very..... gritty.

The Y-man

12. The Y-man

@Kate J

Have also walked a fair bit around the eastern boundaries of Reservoir (Bundoora side) and found it quite pleasant - just lack transport etc from an IP perspective, but might be fine for a ppor.

The Y-man

13. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Checkout Hadfield just off Pascoe Vale. It's 12kms away from the city, between two train lines (Upfield and Broadmeadows lines) and has a lot of parks. Should be able to find something within your budget

Kate J likes this.
  14. Bunbury

Bunbury Well-Known Member

The better parts of Reservoir are:

1. Oakhill Estate.
    2. The southern part of Reservoir that straddles Gilbert Road.
    3. Properties that are in walking distance to the Edwards Street shops and Reservoir or Regent train stations. Avoid streets with too many units if you can.

Last edited: 9th Sep, 2019
    Kate J likes this.
  15. Kate J

Kate J Member

Thank you!

16. Kate J

Kate J Member

Thank you!

Bunbury likes this.
  17. Kate J

Kate J Member

I've had another look around Heidelberg Heights and Macleod and really like the feel of Macleod. But I've since read a bit about the North East Link, and it looks like it'll be built about 1km from some of the properties I was looking at. How far from the freeway do you think you need to be to avoid any issues with pollution and construction and for your property value to increase once it's built rather than decrease?

18. The Y-man

No easy way to tell without seeing/hearing/smelling the finished product IMHO.....

The Y-man

19. mues

mues Well-Known Member

I lived in alphington and moved to Heidelberg recently.

Your 700k will push you past those areas.

If I was you I would be looking at primary schools. I’d have no issue living in belfield or some parts of Heidelberg Heights. But I wouldn’t send my kids to Olympic primary.

Further out might be the best option montmorency or greensborough are good green options which have trains.

I would think if you are 1k-1500m from the freeway you would be fine. I say this as if you are in alphington, you are 1k-1500m from the freeway now most likely. You also have grange road and others that are very busy and a train line. But you seem to be happy there....

If you can’t accept those suburbs. Buy an investment in an area you like. Maybe rent it for 5 years and pay p and I while you rent. Keep saving and move into it.

I would also note there is nothing for sale in Rosanna area at the moment. So you won’t find much there. And if it’s under 900k. It needs 100k of work or is very small.

Kate J likes this.
  20. mues

mues Well-Known Member

I walk my dog past these. I think they are good buys too.

Kate J likes this.