QLD Where to buy IP Sunshine Coast $750k

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Scottstots, 25th Nov, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Scottstots

Scottstots Well-Known Member

Hi all,

My partner and I are looking for our first IP in Sunshine Coast with a budget of $750k (max). We have narrowed our search down to a few suburbs from stuff we've seen online and a close friend who lives in Maroochydore. The suburbs we have are Baringa, Beerwah, Sippy Downs, Buderim, Caloundra, Caloundra West, Palmview and Mountain Creek with a few of these already seeming to be out of our budget due to the insane growth.

Our main goal is for capital growth to help us build equity to buy our own place in Sydney in a few years and wanted to see whether the community had any additional suggestions or opinions on our selection. We've seen a lot of the newly built homes in Caloundra West and Palmview with about 300-400sqm but we're not sure whether there is much capital growth in these as it reminds us of the houses in Kellyville in Sydney at the moment where they are mostly identical to the next. We are also undecided on whether we want to get a BA or not as we're located in Sydney.

Any thoughts or help would be really appreciated!

2. MJS1034

MJS1034 Well-Known Member

Hi Scott,

I would stay away of Palmview and Caloundra West due to the amount of available land in close proximity.$750k doesnt get you much on the coast these days. For that budget i would be looking at Bli Bli, Kuluin, Aroona.

Scottstots likes this.
  3. Bradley Peet

Bradley Peet Well-Known Member

Even Bli Bli is growing to a point where finding a 4 bed home under $800k is almost impossible.

I wouldn't set Palmview or Caloundra West aside just yet, we're still renting those fairly well.

This would be my pick for now:
    https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-sippy+downs-137515642

Ps- I have no affiliation with this selling agent

Amandee and Jaye Kershler like this.
  4. MJS1034

I would be looking at Sippy Downs as a last resort. OP said capital growth was their main goal. Sippy Downs (like all of the Coast) has seen good growth but theres still quite a bit of land not far from there which can slow capital growth.

More established areas like Kuluin, Aroona will out perform Sippy Downs IMO.

5. Bradley Peet

Bradley Peet Well-Known Member

Kuluin is a good choice, although we're securing prices at the tippy top of the budget here.

MJS1034 likes this.
  6. Headlong

Headlong Well-Known Member

I vote for Beerwah.

7. Jaye Kershler

Jaye Kershler Well-Known Member

If searching for a house with a $750,000 budget I would consider these investment grade suburbs Beerwah, Caloundra West, Burnside and as mentioned you might get very lucky with Kuluin.

I would also consider something with land like a townhouse in a complex less then 12 or a duplex in Buderim or Battery Hill.

Feel free to send me a message if you like as I'm a Buyers Agent working on Sunshine Coast and also service Brisbane. I would be happy to help you find a property

MJS1034 likes this.
  8. AsburyJuke

AsburyJuke Well-Known Member

Nambour. Seriously - house on a nice block, hold it for 10 years and watch the ripples spread to Nambour.

Hamish84 likes this.
  9. Scottydogg

Scottydogg Active Member

I would avoid aura, caloundra west or any mass developments with small blocks. Quite a few people on the sunny coast have 4wd, trailers, boats and they won't look at it when you come to sell. If you choose a townhouse be very careful of strata costs...they can be high.
    For a house your probably short for Buderim, mountain creek, Caloundra/battery hill. Look at Aroona and Currimundi (Aroona is in the catchment for good schools) they're both close to the University hospital and 2km or so to the beach. Beerwah is taking off at a surprising rate but don't go further south than glass house mountains. I think parts of Nambour are a good buy. Just have to check the blocks as parts of Nambour are quite hilly.
    Just keep in mind you're on the back of a huge boom up there so growth may not continue like it has in the last 18 months.

TheRons likes this.
  10. Scottstots

Appreciate everyone's comments, all of it has been extremely helpful. Pre-approval has been locked in now, just time to keep doing more research and finding the right property.

Thanks all.

Jaye Kershler likes this.
  11. Scottstots

Thanks mate, I've been reading these forums a fair bit and have seen people say Nambour has a bad stigma to it and the quality of tenants aren't that great. What's your opinion on that?

12. Scottydogg

Scottydogg Active Member

Nambour was considered a more 'houso' area because it had cheap housing compared to the rest of the coast (beach/hinterland). Its definitely changing as the prices lifted and families are buying in as its still reasonably affordable. You get good and bad people everywhere, all you need is a good property manager to pick out a good tenant. Also I think the problems that were always on the coast were due to lack of work and income, not cause people were murderers.
    Don't forget the other areas mentioned aswell and go for a drive around the coast when the border opens. It will help you decide if you've driven through the suburb before.

Last edited: 9th Dec, 2021
  13. MJS1034

How’s the search coming along mate?

JohnnyG likes this.
  14. Amandee

Amandee New Member

What did you end up doing OP?

15. Amandee

Amandee New Member

Hi Jaye, my partner and I are in a very similar situation in terms of budget and where we're looking, is it possible to send me a message? Thanks!

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia