QLD where to buy IP in Brisbane right now

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by porkfish-pie, 12th Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. porkfish-pie

porkfish-pie Member

Hi all,

First time poster. Hoping to seek some advice on where to buy an investment property right now in Brisbane, or Australia that will provide positive cash flow?

I've been doing some research into new zealand and you can spend around 600k there instead and buy maybe 3 x200k properties at 7-8% yield. I was hoping to gauge if it was at all possible to invest in australia before I seriously consider NZ. I would feel more comfortable in Aus ofcourse, as I already have pre approval etc.

Happy to hear what people think, or if you are in a similar situation right now.

Thanks in advance

2. jprops

jprops Well-Known Member

This won't be possible in Brisbane... Or any metro for that matter.

Ore importantly, why that yield, why that price range?

What's your goal and current circumstances look like? This might help people to comment.

3. porkfish-pie

porkfish-pie Member

I'm seeking properties that will positively cash-flow , so high yield to offset all expenses.
    The ~450-500k price range is my borrowing ability
    My goal is to achieve passive income, to hopefully offset my current income eventually in the many years ahead, whilst steadily grow RE portfolio.

I already have 1 investment property (townhouse) in brisbane which rents for $440/week - have had for about 2years. obviously not much growth and cash flow with this.

4. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

I understand your goal but your strategy sucks.

If you stress test your strategy with a rise in IR, or a property that needs a new roof or bathroom for say, $10K, your positive cash flow goes down the toilet AND you likely have a property (the $200K ones), that has poor capital growth.

IMO, if you want cash flow, then you are better off looking to the share market rather than purchasing real estate with its high transaction costs to get into, maintenance costs, insurances, PM fees, rates and tenant behavior when holding, and high transaction costs to dispose of. Again IMO, capital growth is the main focus for a RE investment.

Kevvy7, spoon, V20100 and 3 others like this.
  5. jazzsidana

jazzsidana Well-Known Member

I would seriously sit down and educate myself if I was you.

And surround yourself with right ppl to be able to learn and grow at same time ...

6. Skinman

Skinman Well-Known Member

Pretty sure NZ has recently put a block on overseas investors purchasing property. Although there may be some exceptions for Aussies. Worth checking out first if you haven’t already done so.

7. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Just some encouragement,

You never know what startegy will work.

How the demographic and trends change .

Some people have made money by buying Middle ring black blah.....

The issue we have you implement your startegy and.it works, in 10 years people will call you a Guru.

So read, research but don't be out off.

Don't be scared to go against the grain.

In the current market securities are not going anywhere . In fact backwards.

Gypsyblood likes this.
  8. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Adding to the previous excellent replies, I would also encourage you to educate yourself on what authors and journalists call "Brisbane". There are currently other threads on PC discussing prices and suburbs to invest in across Brisbane.

Unless one is a local, they will not know that different commentators call "Brisbane" the BCC local govt area while others include the several regional council areas up to 50klms out from the CBD.

jprops likes this.
  9. V20100

V20100 New Member

@Propertunity well said. Maybe some sweat equity will make RE investments CF+

10. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

The thing with real estate education is that the educators within the industry can't agree so many people (including myself ) find aspects of investing in property quite confronting.
    All I can say is if you have a huge income you can afford to buy in premium inner city areas with character homes that according to some experts will give you the best chance for CG.
    If you are on a low income or self employed you can probably only afford lower priced properties which are usually found in outer suburbs of the major cities or middle ring suburbs of secondary cities where you are advised by the educators that the capital growth is usually much lower but the rent gives you the opportunity to hold on to the property. I guess there have been exceptions such as Hobart, but many guru's were against this strategy from a long term perspective.

wilso8948 likes this.