VIC Where to buy investment property $500- $700k in Melbourne?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Tillie, 29th May, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Tillie

Tillie Well-Known Member

Hi all Melbourne property gurus!

My hubby and I tried to retire from property investing. Successfully sold all our investments in the peak times and as a result we effectively do not have any mortgages for our PPOR and holiday house. Our strategy was always to buy something that we can rent out initially, but add value in the long term, mostly via renovating. For some wierd reason that I cannot really explain, we both feel that we could do a couple more. Feel free to call it madness, boredom, craziness.​

Because we have been out off the market for the quite long time and just starting to do the research all help is highly appreciated. If you had $500k to $700k to invest in Melbourne, where would you look to buy?

Personally I always had valued land & house over apartments and generally older well built houses that we can add value later on, but I promise to be open minded.

OnTheMarket likes this.
  2. 3rd Drop

3rd Drop Well-Known Member

For that price, I would consider looking at Clayton/Mulgrave/Dandenong/ Noble Park North or Endeavor Hills. You may not get a good property in Clayton or Mulgrave on this price however you will get good quality home around Dandenong or Noble park.
    Mostly old houses with big block. Easy to find tenant and vacancy rate is very low. Good luck with the house hunting!

housechopper2 likes this.
  3. Tillie

Tillie Well-Known Member

Thanks 3rd Drop for the quick response.

I am not really familiar with these suburbs. But the older houses with big blocks sounds something that we are keen on. Is there a l lot of development or subdivisions going on theses suburbs?

4. Skinman

Skinman Well-Known Member

I’d look at Laverton, maybe Altona Meadows in the West. Lots of development and sub division going on in Laverton at the moment and it’s really gentrifying. You can get a decent house on a good size block in the $500 k’s.

5. 3rd Drop

3rd Drop Well-Known Member

Short answer 'yes' although it's a bit slow now due to market conditions. Do some research on realestate.com.au or search here by suburb name. You would be able to find a few threads on these suburbs.

6. ashish1137

ashish1137 Well-Known Member

Outskirts are pretty hot towards Geelong.

I would target land and build to gsin some equity and good rental yield.

Regards

7. Triton

Triton Well-Known Member

Lol are you serious? Have you looked on gumtree and Facebook for people trying offland land at a loss

8. ashish1137

ashish1137 Well-Known Member

Don't know about you mate. I am still seeing ares and lots in good demand and at the same pricing as was in 2017 end/ beginning 2018.

To me, this is an opportunity. With double digit margins in some cases around 5% rental yields.

Everyone to their own. :)

Regards

9. hvdw87

hvdw87 Well-Known Member

I get the feeling most of these are ones who put down a deposit 12-18months ago and now cannot get finance. I see this as an opportunity for a bargain.

ashish1137 likes this.
  10. Cate Bell

Cate Bell Well-Known Member

I see a road trip! I would be coming to Brisbane and working your magic, I think you would do well, and be in the nice sunshine. Brisbane is moving, why invest in Melbourne? I loooove renos.

11. Tillie

Tillie Well-Known Member

Thanks for the quick replies.

Geelong / Laverton areprobably fraction too far for us when thinking about renovations, but you guys gave me a thought about buying land and build the new house. But personally I am not big fan of the new surbubs. Rightly or wrongly I feel that land is not scare on these locations and your house is not going to be new for long when new ones get build and I am sorry about lomg term capital growth. Of course if you get the land really discounted price at the first place, situati oon might be different.

CateBell, currently raining and really cold in Melbourne and it makes me seriously thinking to take your advice and move somewhere warmer

12. jessica_mornpen

jessica_mornpen New Member

Have you considered the Mornington Peninsula? Rosebud/McCrae/Rye. I see quite a few homes for sale that need renovations and in your price point on great size blocks of land ☺️

13. Skinman

Skinman Well-Known Member

Not sure where about a in Melb you are based but i wouldn’t put Geelong and Laverton in the same basket. Laverton is 20kms from CBD on the train line and has on / off ramps to M1.

When i said there was development going on I didn’t mean land release I meant old large blocks being sub divided and townhouses etc being built. As mentioned you can still get a house with decent bones on a large block for $500k’s ish. The new TH’s are going for plus $550k.

Good luck with the project.

14. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

If looking for a house I’d consider along the Belgrave line say between upper ferntree gully to Belgrave. Nice green areas with limited new supply & o/o appeal of the hills as well as train line if require city access.
    Otherwise perhaps around Hallam/Narre Warren area as have easy Monash access to the city & train options as well. More options around this area and access to Fountain Gate shopping centre for large shopping access if desired.
    At this price point will be competing with FHB’s and market still likely to be strong based from what I hear on the ground around these price points.
    Stats I hear only 11% of Melb people use train for daily commute so perhaps Monash Fwy better priority.
    Good luck

15. Woodjda

Woodjda Well-Known Member

Although I think Melbourne property is pretty overpriced there's probably still decent value. I'd be looking for as much land basically as close as you can get to the city. One suburb I've been looking at is Heidelberg West which has decent blocks and is still pretty close to the city. This place looks decent value as long as the bones of the house are still solid.

https://m.realestate.com.au › ... ›...Vic 3081 - House for Sale - realestate.com.au

16. Woodjda

And the listing has switched to sold as of an hour after I posted...

17. Jake Milne

Jake Milne Well-Known Member

What's your time frame for investment?
    Are you playing the short term < 10 years, Mid 11 - 20 years or long 21+?

Suburbs that come to mind with good land content, gentrification potential, lower incomes that have more potential upside and areas that have already bottomed in pricing are:

Thomastown
    Lalor
    Glenroy
    Fawkner
    Frankston
    Sunshine North

^ These suburbs all have different timelines. Glenroy, for example, has seen significant gentrification and is now showing incomes going up. Thomastown, however, is a much longer play as not much has changed since the 2011 rail station upgrade.

fols likes this.
  18. hieund85

hieund85 Well-Known Member

There is a reason why Heidelberg West is cheap, way cheaper compared to its neighbours.

Jake Milne likes this.
  19. Jake Milne

Jake Milne Well-Known Member

Yeah, a lot of council houses!

20. Woodjda

If council houses are a problem you would never have bought in places like Fitzroy and Carlton over recent decades. It's not a perfect place but you get way more house for your dollars considering the distance from the CBD than just about anywhere else. And as far as I can see there's not an obvious reason for it. The main problem is that it's already caught up a fair bit over recent years.

I had an interesting chat with a friend's parents about when they bought in the early 80s and all their family were telling them to buy in nice eastern suburbs places like Blackburn. Instead they went for the choice of Fitzroy which was never going to be anything but a working class suburb with all its council housing. I bet they regret that decision...

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia