WA Where to buy in WA

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by S-Star, 19th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Perth is originally a city designed for cars but this is and will change in the future as population increases and with that more congestion on the roads.

Look at areas that have good access to public transport particularly along the train lines with the ability to value add via subdivision either now or in the future, aka land-banking.

As you are eastern states based I would recommend a BA (buyers agent). I can recommend some that I use personally and for clients.

S-Star likes this.
  2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

ditto

I would say it's more a mind set, there are superior suburbs in Perth that provide amazing value today, they are not hard to find and it has nothing to do with which area is better but about value and how far have they dropped

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

also, I think there is something missing ...Karrinyup market and surrounds actually did rise in 2013-14.

Western suburbs has not recovered since crash of 2007, there is far more value/upside to this market. Perfect time for anyone upgrading primary residence
    :)

mtr

4. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Yeah, I like the pub too. Sounds like a good next property meeting spot. :)
    Plus Carine has nice afternoon sea breeze in summer too.
    I think it's a pretty good school - great mix of kids. I could live here comfortably Sold Price for 25 Minerva Way Carine WA 6020

Back on topic - for your price bracket I agree with above post, Hillarys and surrounding suburbs worth a look also. I have been wondering though...
    I hear on the radio every morning Mitchell freeway is congested between Ocean Reef Road and Whitfords ave - why is it so? How bad is it?

Skuttles likes this.
  5. boeman

boeman Well-Known Member

Sorrento would be my pick. Hillarys extends a fair way north, whereas from Sorrento you can cut through to Warwick Rd or Reid Hwy a bit easier (Hepburn Ave is terrible).

No idea why freeway a bit further north is bad. I jump on at Erindale for this reason. My guess is there is a bottleneck from the "new north" suburbs all filtering onto the freeway.

6. Ald

Ald Well-Known Member

Nope you are crazy, never keep your mouth shut about such a property pocket. If you own a property in the suburb plus you have a mortgage and you need your valuations to improve and you will not be able to buy another one there anyway then you help yourself. If you don't own a property there but your business partners do you also want them to do well.

Perthguy likes this.
  7. Ald

Ald Well-Known Member

Ok quick update

This property is estimated at $1.44 million by the website on the house

Onthehouse.com.au: Your Home for Property Research

However about this property I know it's entire history. In fact amongst the buyers there were two families from Mount Lawley that wanted their Children attending St Marys school just a short stroll down the round because it's actually one of the most beautiful schools in Perth. It's worthwhile visiting that school just to see it's beautiful setting green trees and fields and nice buildings.

It sold recently for $1.5 million dollars with Porteous Real Estates. If that site sold for that price the other better sited houses on Gamble Way have far more potential.

Thats about the 7th house on Gamble way thats new and super luxurious in the $1.35 million to $1.6 million bracket.

If you can buy a house on Gamble way near the park or Mclintock with a south facing backyard between $1 million and $1.2 million you will be laughing all the way to the bank in 5 years time.

But here's the thing, the people in the tightly held suburbs never need to sell, they know they are sitting on gold.

8. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

...Or, someone just overpaid for it. I guess it depends what other sales data there is...

Well I just checked Rpdata for the sales data on Gamble way, and there's literally nothing else that has been sold on that street above $1.075 million.

9. Flipper

Flipper Member

Without knowing too much about the area, I like the spread of stock in Watermans Bay/Marmion at the moment. But yes, Sorrento is a good suggestion for OP.

As to the traffic, the new works at Reid Hwy have improved this even more. Even better? Try walking distance to Warwick Station.

10. Aconis

Aconis Well-Known Member

Only 2 lanes at Ocean Reef onramp and people have no idea how to merge and no patience.
    I used to work in Vic Park, getting on at Ocean Reef at 7am to be at work by 8.

11. Ald

Ald Well-Known Member

Yup!

Exactly! Now do you know why it's a hotspot? When you get your sales data it will be too late.

There are several properties that families have bought and demolished and built a quality mansion on. In that suburb you have just got given an indicator of its value and it's the only one you are going to get for a few years most likely as its so tightly held. That's because people are buying into it to live in. Take a drive there on the weekend and see the families that live there, it's all highly educated, highly healthy, highly paid people with clean cut kids and pensioners. If I told you the names of some of the people that live in the area you would change your tune. Go and take a look at the Lamborghini diabolo on Saterday morning getting polished.

In an earlier post I explained in great detail why it's the best suburb in Perth and why it's going to experience phenomenal capital growth.
    I guess my friend was right. He and I took a bet, he said people are blind to opportunity as they cannot envisage any change in the present situation despite many new indicators being present that shows the game has shifted. I said that's just a question of the salesman being gifted, he said it's got nothing to do with the salesman and his skills that it's about what's actually in front of people's eyes that they can't see. He cited tesla and apple as examples. People saw a telephone on stage that was way ahead of the competition and basically killed blackberry and Nokia in that second of its unveiling. Yet most people lagged behind in buying Apple shares. Had they done so they would be filthy rich, same with the tesla.

I gave examples of the game shifting, the culture change to health and lifestyle and convenience, I explained how the old wealthy suburbs now we're now a pain in the ass to live in and for an elite. Yet people still refuse to shift.

The reason those families are buying houses in that pocket and demolishing and transforming it into a 1.5 million dollar enclave is because they see with the eyes of a perfect investor, precisely because what matters to them is that every single box is ticked for a long stable life for them and their families and they don't intend to move except to the funeral home.

That's a suburb where you buy the potato now at the million mark because how else will you convince someone to sell? Then you wait 5 years time enjoying stable but bank related capital growth and once your house is the last and only investor owned house on the street and the suburb is now recognised as the exclusive enclave then you sell at the spiked price because now everybody wants in. Then everyone wants the hot potato.

12. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Suburbs such as?

13. S-Star

S-Star Member

Great discussion here, thanks everyone!

Block size, we'd like at least 500m but would be happy with 800m!

And would like to walk to the beach (less than 1km).

We don't like commuting, but won't necessarily work in Perth. Where we are now is about 90 minutes on the train to Sydney CBD, so as a previous poster said Mandurah doesn't really seem *too* far from everything - if we can gain employment in Mandurah area. My other half should be able to, I am the stay at home parent but may be able to get some remote work. We don't really travel to the city much now, we're not really city people. Prefer the slow life :) But still mindful to make a good investment, so will look into any areas near the beach more central to Perth.

JohnPropChat and Perthguy like this.
  14. Ald

Ald Well-Known Member

Those wealthy suburbs where value has dropped were highly overpriced during the boom years and there was churn, there the behaviour was like the stock exchange a mass of unthinking people driven by snobbism and not family values and you got crazy spikes. their value is now about right. But they are not bargains and there is no scope for growth because they are above the sweet spot price for a family property where mum and dad work in highly educated and don't come from old money. The sweet spot right now for middle class High values families is about 1 million dollars with current interest rates.

15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

most western suburbs over $1m

16. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Dude. I have no idea what you are talking about. My point was that your previous statements were either mistaken or deliberate lies.

There are no other pending sales or listings "under offer" for that street that I can see. And I can't remember the last time someone harped on so much about "the next big hotspot" with so much irrelevant information - so at the moment, I'm leaning towards deliberate lie.

Westminster, sanj, bob shovel and 2 others like this.
  17. S-Star

S-Star Member

Any specific suburbs you recommend? :)

18. JohnPropChat

JohnPropChat Well-Known Member

Some of the posts in this thread feel like the that "gold coast" thread.

sanj, Perthguy and MTR like this.
  19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

so much oversupply in Mandurah,plenty of good buying opportunities

S-Star likes this.
  20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

lol, oh no not more spruiking