WA Where to buy in WA

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by S-Star, 19th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. S-Star

S-Star Member

Hi all,

I'm new here! Just came across this forum last night and I can see there's lots of experience and insight being shared.

I'm thinking of buying a property in WA, wanting to be within an hour's commute from Perth. I will be purchasing to use as a PPOR for my family with kids, but want to make a smart investment choice. Mandurah looks good from a lifestyle perspective - near the beach. But not sure how it fares as an investment?

Budget: ideally 500-600k but may consider up to 700k.

Needs to be at least a 3x2 and would like <1km to the beach!

We're currently in NSW and thinking our $$ might go further over there.

Xenia likes this.
  2. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Hey there :)

As someone who lives in Mandurah, I recommend it :) Some areas can be a great investment - they're growing in price, unlike most of Perth.

I live in Madora Bay (5 min walk to the beach), and houses are selling. Prices are still rising too, we haven't seen any fall back so very happy with that. There's new shops being built across the main road (in Lakelands) but new estates are also popping up all over, so I would go as close to beachside as land is limited and you can get a house with views for your budget.

S-Star likes this.
  3. Balman

Balman Well-Known Member

I personally think Mandurah is too far out of Perth. I personally prefer the Northern suburbs (NOR) and in the current market 700k will buy you a decent 3 x 2 less then 1km from the beach. the commute to the city from say Joondalup station is 26min.

S-Star and devank like this.
  4. Ald

Ald Well-Known Member

I know Perth real estate, I really do.

I am now in NSW and don't like living far from my investments so have focused locally. I DIY and don't like property managers as I run my IP's like a business. It won't work unless you manage it yourself, that's generally my policy unless it's a brand new property I have personally supervised the build from a demolished old property and tested everything and used only quality materials. Then and only then can I allow some distance from it.

The best investment in Perth right now has got to be south of Karrinyup road, where there is an incredibly undervalued hidden pocket of Karrinyup that nobody really knows exist and that should be re-zoned into Trigg. It's bounded by Jeanes road, Elliot road , Newborough Street and Duke street. There are several reasons for this that I came up with in early 2000's and friends who took my advice are now filthy rich because they bought there in 2003 as did I amongst other properties I held and sold all over Perth.

Nothing performed better in Perth percentage wise and maintained its people quality, value and yield in bust times then this hidden pocket of Karrinyup, Perth. This place is again at the bottom of the property cycle and will have crazy growth in the next years. These are my reasons for only recommending this pocket of the suburb.

Karrinyup shopping centre has just been announced for a massive upgrade it will be the ultimate shopping destination in Perth and it was already an exclusive area. Beautiful, stunningly, good looking people shopped there and it was always elegant. Construction is beginning on a $600 million facelift! You can walk home with your shopping or from the bus stop at the centre

Nod for Karrinyup’s $600m facelift

Karrinyup road and Sackville terrace are the quickest roads from the freeway to the beach. Bus routes on both and it's the fastest bus routes towards the coastal suburbs in the whole of Perth.

The suburb is placed with super easy nearby access to IKEA, bunnings and another massive shopping centre

A new pool will be built in Scarborough in the next few years.

It's also 15-18 minutes to the CBD in peak traffic.

It's also quick access to west coast drive and north or south from there.

It's the closest suburb to the family friendly beaches of Trigg where mums take their babies, like Mettams pool. It's a place also where there is no trouble on the beaches and you have good sort teenagers enjoying the beach and ladies feel safe. The closest beach is just clean cut local surfers. To the north you have Trigg SLC and that is the highest quality surf club with city beach or floreat.

Excellent snorkelling in a marine reserve just to the north

Excellent coastal bike path

It's a 5 minute jog to the beach or slow 15 minute walk. The people living here walk to the beach every morning and do yoga or surf, they all know each other and it's super friendly with a bbq amongst neighbours all the time in summer. Just join the free yoga class on the beach any morning at the underpass entrance. It was a daily routine for me 3 years ago to get to the beach every morning.

The closest beach is the best surfing beach in Perth, Trigg.
    You can hear the surf at night in this pocket.
    Several underpasses go safely beneath the west coast highway to the beach on quiet streets with sandy beaches.

People walk to the beach on full moons with their rods and the fishing is excellent, half the neighbourhood knows each other by meeting on the walk to the beach every day and saying hi. The suburb is very tightly held because it's the best place in Perth to live. I chose to live there, over Floreat because it was closer to the beach and faster to get to work in the CBD and more convenient with shops and in proximity to a strip of all kinds of stores on Scarborough beach drive.

Summer there are multiple families holding picnics on the beach

Scarborough and Hillaries restaurants are just down and up the roads

There are several boat ramps nearby that take you to world class surfing islands of Rottnest or little island or crayfishing.

There are busses that connect you quickly to the train stations on two routes both easy fast walks from the pocket.

The blocks are all bigger than 720 sqm and its all young families displacing old people. There is no crime there no council housing.

Subdivision of the land is not allowed as there is an old age resort nearby opposite the school

Deanmore primary is a brand new refurbished state primary school with an excellent reputation, it's a state school for the rich.

The other two excellent schools are St Mary's, girls private school and the area is zoned for the excellent Hale boys school which is private

It's incredibly quiet due to its location in a slight depression behind the hills of Scarborough and you can't hear any traffic noise from there which is unlike anywhere else in Perth

There are several reserves and parks in the area for walks tons of cycle paths and a baseball and footy oval

There are several demolish and rebuilds happening with multiple 1.3 -1.5 million dollar houses in construction.

My prediction is 10% growth year in and year out from late 2017 until about 2024.

WA Perth has the most optimistic outlook and it's at the bottom or near bottom of the cycle. The iron ore price is recovering slowly, gas prices will recover as will coal prices and gold is climbing. Lithium will be a new resource development and so will Nickel. Farming is only developing in WA and the fishing industry is strong. The gas reserves in WA are huge and the University of WA has plans in place to be Australia's finest university and which has recently purged itself of all its deadwood. The graduates from UWA impressed me most along with the ANU graduates. The independent thinking there has a good influence.

The WA debt is a problem but that will be dealt with at the next change of state Goverment with asset sales and can quickly be diminished once royalties increase. Perth will start to recover, it actually all ready has, but properly from 2018. The miners have had to cut costs to pay down loans and all these loans will be refinanced yet again this year with dropping interest rates and then they will start halting back supply. Mining stocks are a good buy now.
    The people and leaders of Perth know and feel that they are isolated from the rest of Australia and they have aspirational visions. 10 years from now people will be very surprised by how Perth succeeded. I can place a $10000 bet that it will be the Singapore of Australia.

Redwing, ashish1137, Observer and 4 others like this.
  5. roku2000

roku2000 Member

Hi SS-Star

Perth currently presents some great investment opportunities for the future. With the budget your have, you could get properties within a 20min to 25min drive from the city which are about 1KM from the beach. I found 2 such properties in the current market in Perth with easy access to the CBD. Your budget would certainly enable you to buy well. Unlike Sydney, the major employment hubs in Perth are generally near the CBD.

While Mandurah offers a lifestyle near the water, it is important to ascertain If your money can buy you a similar lifestyle with the maximum investment potential that is closer than 70Km. Having a good strategy and knowing what you want to achieve in the next 5 – 7 years is vital.

Having lived in the Hills area in Sydney, I find Perth certainly offers the much coveted lifestyle near the beach. I have attached some photos of these properties to give you a picture of what you can potentially buy in the current market that is a 3 bedroom , 2 bath and less than 1KM from the beach. Asking price for both properties is within your price range.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: 22nd Jul, 2016
  6. Ald

Ald Well-Known Member

I see that the development of Scarborough has begun today
    The swimming pool is going to be built sooner.
    That will do wonders for property prices

S-Star likes this.
  7. S-Star

S-Star Member

Thanks for all the great advice! I'll have a look at the locations recommended :)

Good to hear your positive experience with Mandurah, Jess. Why is it that you prefer to live there rather than closer to the city?

8. S-Star

S-Star Member

Hi, what suburbs specifically please?

9. S-Star

S-Star Member

Hi, what suburbs specifically please?

10. Jamie_

Jamie_ Well-Known Member

with that budget, and prioritising beach id be choosing Mullaloo without a doubt. Very good beaches especially if you aren't into surfing as the above posted wrote about Trigg.
    I think you'd struggle to find something in Karrinyup for 700k that's half decent.

As someone who's only ever lived in Perth id never live in Mandurah. Way too far from everything and then when you get there you wished you'd be home

MACK6244 likes this.
  11. Zeehan

Zeehan Well-Known Member

Read Ald's post, read it again, and then re-read it. His comments on Karrinyup/Trigg are spot on.......if you can find something in your price range. Mullaloo is also a great place, if further from the city. Mandurah is nice, if a bit far away, but that awful freeway if you need to commute!

12. Cruskits

Cruskits Well-Known Member

I love your optimism, and I would be ecstatic if you were only half right.... On top of the Karrinyup redevelopment and new pool you also have the two below confirmed developments which all together brings the total $$$$ investment up to around.............. $1.2 billion dollars within 5 mins of the area you have talked about.

This ($450,000,000)

Stirling Mayor declares city "Perth's second CBD" at annual breakfast - Community News Group

And this ($100,000,000 including the Rendevous component as well)

Scarborough Beach Redevelopment | MRA

Also, the Singaporeans have just bought this and I am intrigued in what they will do with the site.....

Nocookies

Perthguy likes this.
  13. Ald

Ald Well-Known Member

Mullaloo and kallaroo are absolutely brilliant places to live, it's like living the fairytale dream, and then you wake up on Monday morning and have to go battle the freeway or west coast highway to get to work. It's at best 50 minutes minimum and and at the end of the day slightly more, If you return home by train then it's 1 hour 30 minutes. Perth like most Australian cities is very badly planned. I also lived in those suburbs I used to go to mullaloo beach and hated the weekdays. I spent basically minimum over 2 hours on the roads and freeways and then had to pay 15 bucks to the parking thiefs at Perth city council or about 10 bucks in public transport and take longer to get home.

I would never ever live in Mulaloo if I worked in the Perth CBD. If you work in Joondalup then those suburbs are really good. But they are isolated and the youth there get this isolated mentality. There is something about the far northern suburbs and disconnection amongst youth.

Citycat88, Observer and sanj like this.
  14. Ald

Ald Well-Known Member

Stick with that pocket of Karrinyup south of Karrinyup road you will never regret it. That pocket is the next big thing, it's crazy that it's not a 1.6 million dollar suburb yet. It's one of those suburbs that will records the biggest growth in the next years. There are a few houses on gamble way (quietest street next to a big beautiful park ) that are at 1.5 million and the neighbouring properties are still selling at $800k. Absolute investment bargains to be had for families moving to Perth.

15. Jamie_

Jamie_ Well-Known Member

Those properties would be good if his budget was 800k, but unfortunately it's 700k max, and he'd prefer to only spend 500-600k.

that pocket of Karrinyup still has a bit more to drop, the rzoning for the area is terrible and like its neighbouring suburb of doubleview/Scarborugh there is still quite a lot of state housing.

S-Star, how big of a block are you chasing? Older house with Reno suit you?

JohnPropChat likes this.
  16. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Many a person from Sydney has thought Mandurah looked great when comparing commute times to Sydney commute times. But for those living in Perth - we would throw up our hands in horror to commute from Mandurah

17. JohnPropChat

JohnPropChat Well-Known Member

The only upside to Mandurah is you can build a canal home (backyard faces the river with a private jetty and everything) for $350k land and $250k for house. Won't be the world's greatest investment but can't beat that for affordable on-the-water living. I know a guy who commutes from Mandurah to Belmont. Takes about an hour each way, more if he hits peak hour traffic. He wouldn't trade it for anything else.

I personally hate long commute. I rent a place within a 10 min radius to work. So much extra time to do other things but then again I can't afford a canal home in Perth.

18. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

city beach is $1.8m, applecross $1.7m, nedlands $1.5m

you really think karrinyup should be $1.6m?

19. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

those suburbs also have larger block sizes generally

20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Someone told me last week that Cottesloe is down 30% OMBad.
    Some seriously good buying if correct