NSW Where to buy in Sydney for 650k?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Learner2, 19th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Learner2

Learner2 Active Member

Hi all,

I am a first home buyer, looking to buy a property in Sydney for 650k. I have been reading the forums for the past few days and am leaning towards buying a house with a bit of land. Understand that with my budget, I have to make some sacrifices. I am looking at Seven Hills, Lalor Park suburbs - weatherboard houses on 500-600 sqm land. I saw posts that they are not really great suburbs as they have housing commission, crime etc. Can anyone recommend any other suburbs in this price range? Thanks in advance.

2. Never giveup

Never giveup Well-Known Member

My opinion Penrith -long term investmeant (not an advice)

3. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I tend to think Penrith is too far out. While the train services may generally be good, it’s still a very long way into the city.

np999 likes this.
  4. Never giveup

Never giveup Well-Known Member

May be 45-60 mins depends on time of the day.

And if someone doesn't need to go to city ;)

PS-I tagged you for 1 recent sold props on auction in carlingford to get your opinion

5. KateSydney

KateSydney Well-Known Member

I'm probably guilty of making one of those references to housing commission in Lalor Park. But that suburb is improving a bit. Lots of good families there.
    I live in Seven Hills where we bought 23 years ago so our daughter could grow up with a backyard. To be honest we have been very happy here - we live in quite a poor area of Seven Hills just across the road from Lalor Park. We do not regret our years here.
    I cannot comment on schools because we sent our daughter to a private one elsewhere.

All I can say is, sometimes a suburb is what you make of it.

6. AAA2214

AAA2214 Well-Known Member

Hi

Do check out Quakers hill. Established suburb surrounding suburbs where houses are million+ and good value.

might be tight ithq your budget but you never know.

KateSydney likes this.
  7. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

There's a pocket of Seven Hills that is above par for the area and just across the road from Baulkham Hills.

Here Google Maps

Alternatively, look for a 3+2 townhouse in the North Shore or Hills (the more prestigious areas like Beecroft, Cheltenham etc).

8. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

I assume you picked this budget because that is where the stamp duty for a FHB being zero, runs out?

Where do you need to be for work? How much commuting time can you tolerate? Is there anyone else living with you who will be needing to have input on the same things? Where do you want future kids to go to school etc?

9. John_BridgeToBricks

John_BridgeToBricks Buyer's Agent Business Member

Learner2, thanks for your forum post and your question.

Obvious question, but I have to ask it: are you limiting your scope to detached houses, or are you open to apartments/units/villas/townhouses? It makes a big difference.

Kind regards,
    John

Propertunity likes this.
  10. Learner2

Learner2 Active Member

I feel the same. Stations like Blacktown, Seven Hills will be 15 min closer to the city via train (compared to Penrith)

KateSydney likes this.
  11. Learner2

Learner2 Active Member

Thanks for the reply. My daughter is in primary school. Do you recommend any good private schools around Sevenhills/Blacktown area?

12. Learner2

Learner2 Active Member

Thanks. Will include Quakers hill in my search.

13. Learner2

Learner2 Active Member

Yes, your assumption is correct. I can probably go slightly above, say 670k, but my preference is to keep it below 650k.

I work in Wynyard. I have thought about schooling a bit. But I understand that with my budget, I can't get a house near a good school. I am looking at plan B (or C) regarding schooling. One option is to send kids to a private school. Other option is to stay in the house for 6 months and if the schools are really bad, then become a rentvestor and move out after 6 months.

mukul m likes this.
  14. Learner2

Learner2 Active Member

Yes, I am looking at detached houses with a bit of land (so that I can build a granny flat on it in future). I feel that I can manage negative cash flow for few years.

15. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

That's interesting. I just completed a search for a client with exactly the same criteria. I'd suggest Toongabbie, Girraween, Seven Hills & Blacktown are the most likely places to find older houses on big enough blocks to do your granny flat development or possibly duplex if you demo the old house in the future.
    Bear in mind that if you want to do a granny flat as a complying development, you have to meet certain criteria.

2FAST4U and Learner2 like this.
  16. propertyhut

propertyhut Well-Known Member

you are on the right track. Pendle Hill, Lalor Park, Seven Hills, South Blacktown are all very good options and if you plan it right and get something with Granny Flat option for the future as well.
    dont personally know better schools in Seven Hills - only as not familiar with the exact school.
    but in Blacktown - South Blacktown is popular due to Blacktown South Public School, also Nagle College, Patrician Boys College, Mitchell High School all being within 1-2 kms from each other.

2FAST4U and Learner2 like this.
  17. KateSydney

I'm sorry, I don't know about the schools in this area - ours went to MLC Burwood which is why we still only have two IPs. She was very happy there, but....

If I had another kid today, (unlikely as I'm 61) I would honestly consider sending her to the public school and getting involved in the P & C

18. KateSydney

They call that area The Music Bowl (because of the names). Could you really get a 3/2 townhouse in the North Shore for the OP's budget?

Danyool likes this.
  19. Learner2

Learner2 Active Member

Thanks @Propertunity and @propertyhut for the replies. I understand that building a granny flat depends on where the main house is situated on the land, but in general what kind of land size do you look at to increase the odds of getting approval for granny flat?

20. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

That's right..is it 'better'?