QLD Where to buy in Brisbane

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by mick0123, 13th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. mick0123

mick0123 Active Member

Hi guys....I am looking at purchasing my 3rd IP and was wondering what areas in Brisbane I should be looking at. I have one in Kingston already so I want to look at alternative areas other than Logan.I would rather avoid Ipswich as well due to the floods.

Do you think an area in the Brisbane City Council would be a good option?

Thanks

Whitecat likes this.
  2. Natedog

Natedog Well-Known Member

I have always liked the Redlands area, anything along the train line to Cleveland to me still looks like a reasonable investment choice. Schools, hospitals, access to the bay, train ride to CBD if needed....and I grew up there....so I have a soft spot for it :)

Gockie likes this.
  3. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Yes...
    Suburbs where house prices have surged the most in Brisbane - realestate.com.au

I think @sash mentioned this last year...ie that bcc as referenced in the article above will see good gains...and you get a quality location.
    Question is how much more do these areas in bcc have left in the tank? although clearly moved in 12 months..I think they still have some more potential- but the bargains are gone.

Whitecat likes this.
  4. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

Suburbs neighboring Sunnybank - E.g. Coopers Plains.

Whitecat likes this.
  5. fantail

fantail Well-Known Member

If I were considering buying in Brisbane now, I think I'd remind myself of the floods that occurred a couple of years back. A good deal of CBD, inner suburbs and places to the south were affected. Yes, it may have been a once in a generation thing and not likely again, but still.................
    I don't think I'd be considering any of those desirable riverside suburbs any time soon, but would probably look northside.

6. mick0123

mick0123 Active Member

Thanks for the advice guys. If not BCC @JDP1 what other options are there?

Whitecat likes this.
  7. fols

fols Well-Known Member

There's 318 pages on Brisbane in another thread Mick. Surely that will give you a few ideas.

ellejay, Whitecat and KayTea like this.
  8. ndpjai

ndpjai Well-Known Member

Hi

Without budget quite difficult to provide an area.

Imo prefer North West or North East closer to train Station to cbd with decent school. Good luck.

Whitecat likes this.
  9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Budget
    Goal
    Strategy
    Type of dwelling

You got 4 factors to work out first before the location. Often people ask the wrong questions first imo.

nyc1, Pentanol, Rich2011 and 3 others like this.
  10. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Overall the floods didn't affect as many properties as perception seems to be. Its easy to quickly identify where with the flood maps. Plenty of riverside locations that will never flood due to height off river. Although for most (but not all) investors riverside is out of budget or doesn't have the yield they need.
    Agree with you on the Northside or very inner South too.

11. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

MBRC

bobbyj likes this.
  12. mick0123

mick0123 Active Member

My budget is around the $250-300k mark. It will be for a long term hold, so approx 10 years.
    I am happy for the asset to be negatively geared day 1 as I would rather faster capital growth. And would prefer a house over a unit/apartment.
    Thanks

Whitecat likes this.
  13. Anthony Brew

Anthony Brew Well-Known Member

I have never been to Brisbane, but don't want to outlay Sydney prices so I am thinking about Brisbane as an option.

I was going to ask if you can get a decent 1bd apartment within 10km to the CBD there for 350-ish, but am shocked to see the above post saying that you can buy a house for under 300k.

• Budget - 300-350k
    • Goal - Own a second IP so I will have enough to retire on.
    • Strategy - Hold and possibly never sell (but would like the option if I choose to, so prefer within 15km to CBD to ensure enough demand so that I can find renters and, if needed, buyers). Plan is to purchase as an IP to pay off quickly with all sources of income, and possibly to live in later.
    • Type of dwelling - Apartment (what more can you get for 300-350k)
    • Location - You tell me. I don't know much about Brisbane

If anyone could let me know what they think I could get for this price, and what areas would have enough demand to maintain the property value and have renters in demand, would appreciate it. Cheers.

14. David Shih

David Shih Mortgage Broker Business Member

Hi mick0123,

I think you will be struggling to get a house in BCC for your budget. More likely units though.

Your budget will limit the area you can invest. If you already have one in Kingston and want to go outside Logan then have a look towards west around Goodna? It's about 20km west from Brisbane CBD and fits your price point. It has done nicely in the last 6 months...See Change has a post on this which will give you some idea (and watch out for the flooding zones):
    Why I bought in Goodna - See Change

Last edited: 19th Feb, 2017
  15. David Shih

David Shih Mortgage Broker Business Member

HI Anthony,

You can indeed get a house for 300-350K price range in SEQ! Except it won't be within 15km to Brissie CBD though.

My personal suggestion of the areas you could look into are:
    1. South - Logan suburbs, such as Marsden/Crestmead. Plenty of threads on here about Logan which you can do some DD on. But essentially this area will be able to provide good yield so to help speed up paying off the loan faster

QLD - Logan Logan Logan
    https://www.propertychat.com.au/community/threads/logan-what-are-the-negatives.13140/unread

2. North - around Kallangur although average price is starting to creep over 350K. There's also a thread about this on this forum that you can look into. This is a good area to buy in as there are new Westfield around the neighbourhood at North Lakes, IKEA, Bunnings, Cinemas, newly built Moreton Bay Rail train stations plus a proposed University of Sunshine Coast due for completion in 2020. Will be a good area if you do
    want to move in later.

QLD - Kallangur

3. West - towards Goodna, again there's a thread about this.
    Why I bought in Goodna - See Change

These are all houses I'm talking about.

Also, there's an amazing post by ORAC here which will give you very detailed info about Brissie - strongly recommend you to have a good read:
    QLD - Sydney sider looking @ Brisbane

Hope this helps!

Last edited: 20th Feb, 2017
  16. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Most areas to the south weren't. Geographically effected a small area

17. Anthony Brew

Anthony Brew Well-Known Member

I first read your response and did not see that you said "house" and then was going to say that I found lots of suburbs within about 6km with apartments in that price range and they even had 3 bedrooms.

Read the rest of your post and then saw you said "There are all houses I'm talking about." and I was a bit stunned for a moment. The price range sounds like a totally different country for someone coming from the Sydney market lol.

Thank you so much for the detailed response!

I have a question that might be difficult to answer, which is - for IP purposes, do you think it is better to get a nice 3 bedroom apartment 6km from the CBD or to get a house 20km out as you described?
    (my limit is about 350k)

18. milobear

milobear Well-Known Member

I'd personally stay away from apartments in Brisbane, there's currently an oversupply. Stick to houses with a decent size block of land would be my advice.

Whitecat likes this.
  19. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

@Anthony Brew, with your budget also check the Redcliffe Peninsula and Deception Bay areas for houses up to 350k.

20. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

In that price range then on the inner southside from west end too rocklea
    350k will buy a townhouse in the 25 year old range 350k would also buy a house in Rocklea outside the 2011 flood zones ..Just do a simple search on Yeerongpilly ,and Rocklea --the link below my daughter put an offer on one townhouse ,the bank valued it at 320k and that was 45k of what they wanted they would come down 10k but with the history of some of those properties you would want to do serious homework ..imho..
    The link below always give's a idea what's happening within the BCC footprint..
    Auctions - The Public Trustee of Queensland