VIC Where to buy for $650k

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by DamoJones, 27th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. DamoJones

DamoJones Member

Hello all,

First post but have been reading and researching on this forum for months - awesome resource.

I am a bit stumped and am hoping for some insight on good areas in Vic to buy an IP for up to $650k.

This would be a buy and hold strategy for us, planning to keep for 20+ years. Of course would love some capital growth, however rental yield needs to be adequate for us to service the loan comfortably. I have been focused on looking at standalone houses for the capital growth advantage, as I would ideally want to purchase a home that could be subdivided down the track to then build another IP (or sell off) as well as potentially add value to through renovation in a few years.

Given the price range, there doesn't appear to be any great options in Melbourne, and I have been focused on Ballarat based on my own research and some excellent information on this forum. Unfortunately the demand in Ballarat is insane at present, I cant even arrange any inspections. Also, from those houses I have looked at, there seems a fair disparity with rental yield (i.e. one I looked at in Black Hill was asking $650k however was only receiving $300pw). It did need a bit of a renovation at that price, however even renovated period homes that are going for $650k are only getting low $400pw rent. So starting to look like the horse has bolted for me!

So ultimately open to any advice on where to buy in Vic with my price range, and a good balance of growth and rental yield. I appreciate that places like the house I looked at might have great growth aspects, however with a rental yield like that it would impact our monthly budget too much, so I realise I need to compromise on that in order to get a better rental yield. Although I would still prefer a standalone house, I am starting to open up to the idea of a townhouse, to get that rental yield up, so any recommendations for that would be awesome as well.

Thanks guys!

2. Westie

Westie Well-Known Member

Plenty of spots in Geelong for that budget with decent yield too. Had a look?

3. sqe

sqe Well-Known Member

Do you have a target yield in mind?

4. sauber

sauber Well-Known Member

If your looking at awesome yield look at Hamilton Vic. I've seen 6% yield but most are high 5s

5. DamoJones

DamoJones Member

Yep been looking at Geelong, but looks like with the recent growth there is a fair gap between purchase price and rent. The only area I have seen that looks like a good buy would be a newish 3bed in Armstrong Creek area for under $650k. What are your thoughts on that area? I’ve searched Armstrong creek on this forum but couldn’t find a great deal.

6. DamoJones

DamoJones Member

Tbh I’d be very happy with a $650k house with a 4% yield (around $500 a week). I appreciate that some regional towns are getting higher than this (like Hamilton) but I’d rather stick with the big towns from a risk perspective.