Where to buy 2016?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Daves2074, 28th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Paddington/Red Hill is very hilly and has tiny terraces/houses (but so nice) and Stones Corner is much flatter and has some larger properties (as far as I recall). Imagine Yummy Mummy pushing a pram around Paddington? That's why she lives in Ashgrove or Bardon instead. Hang on, Bardon has very steep hills too.

2. the world is your oyster

the world is your oyster Well-Known Member

Nothing stopping you doing a quick turn deal

3. Arashi87

Arashi87 Well-Known Member

I have a question about "where to buy threads"

Will people really tell you ? Even from a macro perspective ... Is it just to narrow down from searching all over the place in Aus?

4. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

This is spot on. We considered Auchenflower/Paddington. Beautiful area, beautiful houses, lots going on, but for a family with kids - you will be 100% car dependant.

That is why we chose Greenslopes (and came from Mt Gravatt East, which is also surprisingly hilly!). We can walk down to the park and back with our toddlers on their bikes and an old dog in tow. We simply CANNOT do this in most parts of Paddington.

We have friends in Auchenflower who live only 200m from the school and nearly have to drive with the very steep hill.

5. DCTY

DCTY Member

Can't agree more. from long term perspective, you can setup a new shopping center, get the transportation infrastructure in, but you just can't make another beach nearby your place:rolleyes: i like the fact that temp is always 2/3 degree lower than Bris CBD in summer days

Last edited by a moderator: 4th Nov, 2016
  6. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Tell me about it, I've lived in Paddington and Red Hill. Not pleasant in the hotter months walking around.
    Note to self: avoid suburbs with the word 'hill' in them.

7. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

.. if you refer to common themes in pc and ss before it yes...the forum was bullish on sydney at the right time...and is bullish on brisbane now and last yr..right calls..people have made good money from acting on the advice given by forum members..and continue to do so...

8. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I don't know you but I think I like you @DCTY! :) And so true about the shopping centre, Bunnings, Costco etc...
    Btw... I don't think the presence of a Costco is such a positive... I tend to think they are put into areas with little below average socioeconomic demographic to be frank! More wealthy people would shop more along the lines of boutique grocers...

There was a saying... people who eat at McDonalds don't buy goats cheese. And vv.
    Do you prefer the goats cheese or the McDonalds?

9. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I think they do/will, you can see a number of people talking up areas they must be into themselves, also, not many of us can just buy everything, so why not share some info ?

10. dabbler

I avoid Mic D's and goats cheese, whats going on there Gockie ? Not too keen on AirBNB either, must be turning into an old fogie....lol I like Barani's tho.... :):p

11. Gockie

Good stuff! I liked doing Baranis as a kid... such a free amazing feeling... unfortunately I dont have a recording on film though... ~sigh~:oops:

Not too keen on Airbnb hey.... hmmm... yep. You're an old fogie.:p

I've had airbnb guests leave the usual stuff like softdrinks but in addition other items such as gourmet feta cheese, unopened gourmet chocolate ($16 for a ~150g bag... lemon myrtle chocolate box macadamia chocs...omg...so good...) in the airbnb fridge...

(ps. Hint hint... if anybody does want to get me a small housewarming gift, you now know what I like;)!!)

And FWIW I dont buy Maccas or Goats cheese either. So I guess there are 3 main categories of people on the Maccas-Goats cheese spectrum :)

12. radson

radson Well-Known Member

We are zeroing in on Hobart

13. dabbler

I did an AirBNB stay recently, my main dislike is the headaches if *we* were to do it, the tax, the CG implications, dealing with people direct etc, were over that sort of thing.

Right, so you want as a gift, goat cheese & encouragement to film yourself attempting Birani's.....roger, got it Gockie.

PS Seeing your buying in Sydney, that must be the start of the next cycle, right ? :);)

14. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

It can be difficult to find this answer, people tend to keep it under their hats until after they've bought.
    Then they tend to talk it up.

15. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Hobart you say.
    How's it looking down there, near the bottom or the top?

16. Gockie

Fair call! But you don't have to do it in your home.
    Lol.
    Yes! The cycle has started! And I have 2 very nice Sydney properties to sell very soon for the next lucky buyers to make their fortunes with. Guaranteed Capital Growth for sure.... Hype Hype Hype!!!
    ;)

17. DCTY

DCTY Member

Haha ... thanks @Gockie. I am biased, have 1 in Wynnum and have 1 in Scarborough.:p love the area!!

Gockie likes this.
  18. radson

radson Well-Known Member

I dont know if Hobart does top or bottoms :)....just the occasional surge

19. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Our Hobart property double in value and rent in the last cycle . Same as most places . We've looked there recently but decided to buy else where for higher returns , though I think Hobart will do well in the next few years . rents going up and low vacancies . We have a house split in to four units in Newtown .

Main place we looked at was West Moonah . Saw one three pack with good returns , but then found out if was owned by a patient ( in Mona Vale ...WTF !!! ) could have been a conflict of interest if I'd low balled him after our conversation ...
    :(

Cliff

Sackie likes this.
  20. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

From onthouse.com.au

Greater Hobart, TAS

Tasmania has presented some surprising growth results in 2015. The Hobart CBD and surrounding suburbs in particular have drawn many tourists. Hobart is regarded for its historic charm, with many heritage buildings preserved. Tasmania also has highly regarded produce, which, combined with trade subsidies provided by the federal government, will help to boost exports from Tasmania. As tourism and hospitality pick up in Tasmania, popular centres like Hobart could see further capital growth from employment, affordability and dwelling demand in 2016.