where to buy 2 properties for 600K

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by yoyo_guitarist, 30th Jun, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Have you considered going indirect across several properties in multiple cities?
    Eg comm prop trusts etc.

The Y-man

2. bythebay

bythebay Well-Known Member

Brett go into domain type Blacktown nsw suburb pick 2br
    Sort low to high price

there’s one 339k asking it’s under offer now
    There was one about a week ago which said 300k I can’t remember if it was guide that one seems to have disappeared or agent may have updated pricing following open house interest

Happy hunting!

yoyo_guitarist likes this.
  3. yoyo_guitarist

yoyo_guitarist Well-Known Member

Hi mate, no I haven't just trying to build a bit of a recession proof foundation portfolio at present. What is it that you actually mean mate ?

4. The Y-man

Investment in commercial property trusts, where you effectively own a share of commercial property with other investors.

The manager takes a cut of the rent, and everyone receives a portion based on how much they have invested.

If they sell the building(s), you get a cut of the proceeds based on your ownership proportion.

eg
    Unlisted Direct Property Funds
    Centuria Government Income Property Fund | Centuria Property Funds

Several discussion threads on it such as:
    Unlisted Property Trusts 2021 [Property & Infrastructure Funds]

The Y-man

5. Steve90

Steve90 Active Member

Hey bro personally if that was me, I'd be buying 2 blocks of land 650m plus with a 3br house on it in either Christie's beach Adelaide/ or Sullivan's beach or anywhere within 30kms of the city and preferably with waking distance to the beach and public transport, with the current rent and low interest rates you'll be paying next to nothing on principle and interest and you have good potential with capital growth. If you want a bit of diversity I'd say one house in Christies beach and another one in Norlane geelong, once again you have walking distance to water and a train station that may get upgraded to a high speed rail to Melbourne. Nor lane is lower socio-economic area but I suppose everywhere nice once was so it's all up to you what you decide. Good luck

6. Steve90

Steve90 Active Member

Having a look at prices it seems christiea beach is a bit more expensive now, maybe Christie Downs is a bt better for your price range

7. PeterCr

PeterCr Well-Known Member

SA - Reynella, Christie Downs, Elizabeth East, Elizabeth Grove, Davoren Park
    WA - Gosnells, Maddington, Kelmscott, Armadale, Kwinana
    TAS - Devonport, Youngtown, Chigwell

Give or take ~10% around the 300K mark. Yields are decent and potential capital growth is probably to be reviewed.

SophieH and Perky29 like this.
  8. Wilko

Wilko Well-Known Member

So 100k in commercial property trusts plus your deposit is unavailable as equity vs 600k in direct residential?

I'm in the same place at the moment, I like the idea of property trusts but they kill borrowing capacity. I see them as a good option to tip cash into once you've maxed out your borrowing capacity.

Unless I'm missing something and looking at it the wrong way?

9. ashish1137

ashish1137 Well-Known Member

You have some love for rough tenants. :p:)

Cheers

10. ashish1137

Why Devoren Park?
    Reynella has gone way past 400k now.

Cheers

11. ashish1137

Affordability for one.
    Second, these states are well placed for income to median ratios
    Third, these states are due for their growth since a long time.
    Fourth, the way VIC and NSW have grown, if they stagnate a little, the investment money might start flowing into these states.
    QLD can be looked into as well. But most suburbs there have more renters than needed and most people target the suburbs that may already have grown or have a lot of supply. I would rather stick to Gold Coast and surrounds in quality areas than Brisbane.

Cheers

12. The Y-man

You are correct in that you can't leverage it (it is internally leveraged - the trust goes and borrows money)*

Basically comes down to getting 6%pa rental AFTER costs vs rental return + CG on $600k IPs.

The Y-man

*actually, you could margin loan a listed a-reit but let's not go there.

13. PeterCr

PeterCr Well-Known Member

Davoren Park may potentially get one a Duplex at circa $300K (with 2 income sources)
    Agree Reynella may not be an option

14. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Goodna to Ipswich

Yes , other places might have gone up more in the last four years , but nicer areas go up first and have higher holding costs

cheaper places then catch up , which is happening now .

At the moment you want to be buying in places that haven’t gone up 50 % in the last four years .

cliff

woocommerce, craigc and wilso8948 like this.
  15. yoyo_guitarist

Hi mate thanks for the that. Seems to be some good information there. I looked at Noelene a while ago, when I was searching in Melbs. Do you know if there is still decent value there ? Will definitely take a look at SA as you said. I know there is a lot of work coming to Adelaide within the defence industry.Cheers mate

Last edited by a moderator: 4th Jul, 2021
    See Change likes this.
  16. Branden

Branden Well-Known Member Business Member

Sounds like you have done quite well for yourself so far! with a 600k budget you would have an array of options but it sounds like you want to purchase at a cheaper price point. Given a lot of cheaper suburbs in the smaller metro markets have moved, 300k makes it a lot tougher to find a quality property. If you could extend your budget to 350-400k I think this would open the door for many more options. You could purchase in Adelaide, Brisbane, or Perth in higher-demand areas. Although it will push back IP4 I think it may set you up better for growth in the next few years.

17. yoyo_guitarist

Ok mate, yes it does appear that way. There is a few in Christie downs around the 300k Mark. Any there that looks any good mate ?

18. yoyo_guitarist

Thanks mate, yes I’d happily take a look at those areas in the 350/400 range. Could you suggest any areas ?

19. yoyo_guitarist

Hi Peter Elizabeth Easy and Elizabeth Downs areas seem to have some very affordable places. I’m guessing this area is a bit rough ?could you suggest any moves pockets of those areas ?

20. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

I know the property manager we use in Adelaide doesn’t manage properties in Elizabeth . I think Elizabeth is a step up from comparable suburbs in Tassie such as gagebrook or ravenswood but you’ve got to be really “ brave “ to buy there

Cliff