Where to buy 1st IP in Australia for under 450K

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Omar_wang, 19th Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I hear what your saying but its like anything man.. builders..brokers, agents.. some a great and many a terrible. Just need to do your research and get good recommended ones and know all the fees upfront then make an informed choice.

L3ha7 likes this.
  2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Essendon/MPonds/Aberfeldie etc

104 Hoffmans Road Essendon Vic 3040 - House for Sale #126101814 - realestate.com.au
    113 Wilson Street Moonee Ponds Vic 3039 - House for Sale #126207106 - realestate.com.au
    66 Roberts Street Essendon Vic 3040 - House for Sale #126300174 - realestate.com.au
    39 Deakin Street Essendon Vic 3040 - House for Sale #126290998 - realestate.com.au

Watch the auctions - pounce if they pass in.

This one prob not if you are planning a ppor:
    241 Buckley Street Aberfeldie Vic 3040 - House for Sale #125937538 - realestate.com.au

This one was passed in on a VB 1.2m on 5/8. 676 sqm. Eventually sold for 1.305.
    Granted it is next to the RSL - but other than a few days a year, not known to be a rowdy late night venue!
    10 Hoffmans Road, Essendon, Vic 3040 - Property Details

The Y-man

3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Morrisett is North of Sydney. Past Gosford approaching Newcastle.

5. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

Hi @Tom Rivera , i have heard from close friends about longer vacancy rates even though rent is as per market. I am talking about last year when I was looking to get around Mango hill area , so ended up buying in Melbourne.

6. rjw180

rjw180 Well-Known Member

Thanks Y-man

Some of them look like pretty good value I suppose. I was really kinda hoping you had found some gem in Kew I had missed LoL (Essendon is a bit far from family etc as we're based in the North East)

7. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

That's a fair decision, I hear Melbourne is pumping along nicely. I can't comment too heavily on the northside because we have a limited experience there, but the south side is doing well.

L3ha7 likes this.
  8. Inov8ive

Inov8ive Well-Known Member

I would look in Sydney, about 15km from the CBD, on the train line of course. You should be able to pick up a decent 2 bed, 1 bath with garage within your budget fairly easily. With a solid 4.5% yield.

9. virhlpool

virhlpool Well-Known Member

For IP, 4.5% yield with all other expenses isn't 'solid' in today's age of ever increasing interest rate. It will need a significant contribution from pocket towards loan repayment every month. Happy to be corrected if wrong but even 5.5% yield is not making the cut well these days when you add property management (including letting fees, advertising fees and so on), council rates, insurance, and other expenses to already high interest rates. 'Solidity' that you refer to assumes good and consistent capital growth which can be unlikely, who knows.

Last edited: 2nd Sep, 2017
  10. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Not a ba comment Coming but a free enterprise / free market economy comment.

Price of high or low does not a good or bad service make.

most of my clients that used a ba hVe had a good outcome I most cases better than they could have done themselves.

The fee has vAried between 5 to 25 k

Where there was a so so outcome that wasn't tied to a high or low cost just poor work

Ta

Rolf

11. Inov8ive

Thats fine i can correct you, no problem. The term solid as i stated refers to the yield not the investment. When i say a solid 4.5% yield I mean that this is not the higher end of what is achievable, this is mid range and thereby relatively easily achievable- hence solid reference. Moving on, not sure where abouts in Sydney you own or invest but 4.5% in Sydney is definitely at the higher end of the scale at the moment. Can you get higher yield in other capital cities? Ofcourse, easily. I can buy in a regional town and get 9 or 10% or more but am i gonna buy there? No.

12. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

You seem to be defining solid as neutral cashflow. Thats unlikely in sydney. You can say the market is too expensive but sydney hasnt been cashflow neutral for at least 5 years. How has cg been? You can say but now rates are increasing. Ok but how good are your predictions?

13. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    You should be buying before it picks up! Property investing 101

14. Inov8ive

Yes but not while its still in decline. 5o'clock is not a buying time

15. euro73

I dont rely on property clocks... I'm a little more sophisticated than that :)

ellejay likes this.
  16. Inov8ive

Yeah ok cool:rolleyes: but the OP has said that his own research puts Perth at 5 o'clock- so its not a buy

17. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

You must be tracking the Euro timezone. :D

The Y-man likes this.
  18. euro73

Right now Im busy tracking the tradies/renovation time zones ....

19. euro73

The point I was making was that its prudent to be a little ahead of the propertyclock. That data is several months in arrears as its a HTW report that relies on settled sales.... Whether Perth is a suitable buy for the OP is a different argument for another day. But waiting until a market receives a HTW property clock green light means you are a few months behind the curve.

ellejay and The Y-man like this.
  20. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Whatever they say add 30-50% time on top..

Last edited: 3rd Sep, 2017