Where the property statistics data come from?

Discussion in 'Property Information Resources & Tools' started by happyhome, 12th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. happyhome

happyhome Member

Hi Guys,

I have been searching on SS and PropertyChat and I could not find an answer to my basic question.

Does anyone know where the property statistics provider (i.e. RP Data, PriceFinder, Onthehouse) get the raw data from?

I am trained in platform development and data analytics and I was wondering if I could get the raw property data like sales history, suburb demographic, crime rates, property advertisement history and build the analytical platform based on those data. As I understand the existing property statistics data is very costly for private/individual investor or buyers.

Kind regards,

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Sales prices come from Land Titles Department. Suburb demographic comes from Australian Bureau of Statistics. Crime statistics are published by Boscar. Property advertisement history I suspect is manual or data feed from domain or realestate.

happyhome and Tekoz like this.
  3. happyhome

happyhome Member

Thank you very much Alan. Read thru your company website and your interview on SS. Very inspiring for a newbie like myself. Thank You.

Seems like the sales history data is dominated by the big player like FairFax Media (Domain), Onthehouse, REIV (Realestateview), RPData (CoreLogic). Does anyone know any data service provider who is selling the raw data in very reasonable price?

4. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

You have to go to the sources - ABS for demographics, LTO for property data.

Propertunity and happyhome like this.
  5. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

Here is the API / Webservice for the ABS: http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/Lookup/by Subject/1407.0.55.001~2014~Main Features~Contents~1

You could possibly scrape the MyBoot site but I am not sure how happy they would be with multiple hits especially when they have a note up to contact them to republish their info.

http://myboot.com.au/4123/Rochedale South/demographics.aspx

I'm an Analytics person / dev too (but only VBA / VB.NET with SQL for DB stuff), I would love to hear what you are looking to build. I was considering doing something myself with VBA page scraping the myboot site (it would only be 4 or 5 hits at a time and for personal use) so I can use it to quickly monitor areas based on postcodes in a spreadsheet.

pommy likes this.
  6. happyhome

happyhome Member

Hi Dan,

Thank you very much for the link.

I am looking for a platform that can help me monitors certain suburbs that I interested. There are good platform that are suitable with my purpose but I think the subscription fees is too high.

Ideally I would like to get the below information in one platform to speed up the monitoring process and data driven decision making:
    1. Sales History
    2. Suburbs demographics
    3. Crime Alert
    4. Development Alert
    5. Property Listing and Advertisement History

I understand that the raw data may not be free due to data maintenance fees (i.e. data acquisition, data collection, hardware maintenance and labour fees) yet I also think that will not be too expensive if I know how to do the technical part (ETL, data visualization, etc)

On the page scraping would be my last option if I could not get the raw data from the source.

Thanks,

Kate likes this.