Where the cranes are in Australia

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Gockie, 7th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Going by the number of cranes is not the full story. I would be looking at the number of cranes per type of construction eg are most of them residential, or commercial?
    I would greatly prefer commercial construction over resi. This tells me business is confident in the economy and have plans likely to move in. That to me is a bigger impact on value growth than increase in supply via resi.

MTR and big max like this.
  2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Brisbane: You've gone from 3 commercial cranes to 3. No change.
    Anyway, look at the RLB link (in another post) for the full report.
    image.png

3. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Yes. The report mentions 89% of cranes in Brisbane are for residential construction. This is a real worry as new business then is presumably expanding in Brisbane at a low rate; something we can see on the ground ad well. Look on the positive side - at least is growing :), despite its historic reliance on mining.
    It's no secret at all that likely the number one issue hitting Brisbane is jobs- especially private sector professional jobs.

4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Cranes would be increasing year on year for other reasons also. They would be cheaper to build and operate than years ago. Plus the push with safety would be increasing number of cranes bring used.
    Anyone got crane stats for syd this boom compared to last boom?
    I'd put a dollar on there being significatly more

Plus extra crane or two may increase production to help the builders milk more out of the boom

One more thing. Some construction sites are trying to phase out lifting bring done by excavators thus bringing in more cranes

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Purely anecdotal - seems like every second multi-storey block of units has a Leibherr/hammerhead crane. Last boom, there was less emphasis on mechanical lifting vs manual handling.

6. bumskins

bumskins Well-Known Member

Good database for looking at Completed, Under Construction, Proposed Buildings. Can compile a lot of different lists and infographics. Just keep in mind for lower buildings the statistics probably aren't as accurate.

Create Lists/Graphics - The Skyscraper Center

7. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

That's the same lifting set-up as in Buranda and New Farm in Brisbane the massive amount that are still being built would now come into the risk stage just on the number's alone,and the ones yet to built..