Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Where should I put the pool?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by EN710, 13th Jan, 2016.

1. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Planning the landscape for new PPOR and I'm stuck on where to put the pool. Anyone good at landscaping?

Option 1 (second pic) - the side of the property, as close as possible to the boundary
    • thinnest fibreglass pool I can find is 2.78m external. The side space is about 3.2m. Very cramped and basically eliminate any external access
    • Going concrete pool with 2m width is possible, but it will still be very tight on the side

Option 2 (bottom pic)
    • place it behind the house (6.4m width left, 2m easement and 3m setback). As close as possible to the easement and as far away from the house. There's possible 1-1.5m clearance from house to pool.
    • There are sliding door from both rooms to the backyard. Will 1.5m clearance feel cramped? I'm not sure whether I still need to add another fencing either.

Option 3 (first pic)
    • Opt for smaller pool - small fibreglass 6m x 2.55 external approx 30K plus a spa + Fastlane swim machine 13.5K ~ $50K
    • Allowing front access but may make the backyard completely weird shaped!

upload_2016-1-13_14-1-12.png

2. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I like option2. Side of the house so you still get to keep your backyard big. Then you can have views of the pool from the living room.

Also then you can make longer like a lap pool

MTR, THX and EN710 like this.
  3. Mombius Hibachi

Mombius Hibachi Well-Known Member

On the roof.

The Y-man and DaveM like this.
  4. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Can't for this time, project homes :-\

5. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Pool on the roof with a slide to a pool on the ground at the side of the house.

ellejay and EN710 like this.
  6. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I like option 2 as well. Uses the useless bit of side, gives you views and preserves the bulk of your usable space otherwise

EN710 likes this.
  7. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I'm too old for this jumping off the roof stuff!

8. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent Business Member

I do not like the second pic. I think having the pool so close to the building is a bad idea and will make it difficult to clean, or rescue a drowning child. I'm not sure how it would even work with fencing rules and such.

First pic is weird. Sounds like you want to swim laps so having such a short pool is odd. And not very conducive to pool parties that will have several people in the pool at once.

The third pic is the most sensible layout - you will come out of the sliding door from the dining room, presumably onto a decked area, then move naturally onwards to the pool. Or you can sunbake on the grass on the other side of the pool, or sit under trees there and read a magazine. The length of the pool is also appropriate if you want to swim laps. The third pic is the winner for sure.

ellejay and EN710 like this.
  9. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Access is important. My kids can't run around my mother's pool (a good thing), but we can't get down that side to brush the sides either. And if you use glass fencing, it's a p-word to clean if its always getting splashed (rain-x).

JacM and EN710 like this.
  10. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Sounds like swimming pool at the back then :)

JacM likes this.
  11. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Not sure if you have kids but its great being able to work in the kitchen/lounge room while they are swimming and not have to hover yet still be able to keep a close eye on what's happening. Depending on how old they are of course.
    Views to the pool from inside the house make it more useable.

12. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

No kids, only a dog. Maybe two when the house is completed :)

13. THX

THX Well-Known Member

In the ground and option two for sure.

EN710 likes this.
  14. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Suggest you check pool fencing regulations. This may affect where you can best place the pool.
    Marg

EN710 likes this.
  15. Ian Macleod

Ian Macleod Active Member Premium Member

Its worth noting here that If you are in NSW there are new pool fencing rules coming in 29 April 2016.These changes will require all homeowners with a pool to have a valid Certificate of Compliance or relevant occupation certificate before they can sell or rent a home in New South Wales.
    All pools with a depth of more than 30 centimetres must comply with the fencing requirements in New South Wales. The NSW Office of Fair Trading has a comprehensive explanation of the pool-fencing obligations of home owners here.

Chilliblue likes this.
  16. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

In the front yard?

Buy the neighbour's place?

17. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

@Ian Macleod @Marg4000 it'll be in VIC and as PPOR. Of course would need to be compliant. I wouldn't have it otherwise. For pool at the back, I'm not sure the regulation about sliding door from house directly to pool though.

18. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

If I have budget to buy neighbour place, I'd have chosen different suburb and bigger land :confused:
    It's a new estate and the land is on T junction (yeah!) no privacy at the front

19. THX

THX Well-Known Member

Move the house over :D

20. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Can't help with Victoria, but in Qld a sliding door directly to the pool is illegal. It used to be OK if the latches were high, but new regulations forbid it entirely. Friend had to have a sliding door screwed permanently shut to comply.
    Marg

EN710 likes this.