Where should I park Equity extraction amount without losing tax deductibility for IP purchase?

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by MPL, 8th Mar, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MPL

MPL Member

I read most of the threads (even terry's ) before posting this. I've got more confusion as everyone's opinion is different on this topic.

Story is -
    I've just applied for refinance and they approved for 2 parts on PPOR loan.
    390K - say Loan1A ( P&I with offset account)
    150K- say Loan1B (P&I only) - this is equity part.

Not sure how/where they will deposit 150K equity part.
    I'm assuming they will ask me about where to deposit 150K at the time of signing docs.

So my confusion is where should I park (ask them to deposit) that amount and it will be used for IP deposit + other costs ?

Option -1) Ask them to deposit 150K into Loan1A offset. And I will not deposit any other amount into this offset until I purchase investment property. But this way, I'm not using my personal savings (close to 200K) to reduce interest on PPOR Loan1A.

Option 2) Open a new transaction account and ask them to deposit here. And don't mix with any other funds until IP purchased. This way, 150K is simply sitting here without saving any interest on my PPOR.

Please note, I'm not going for LOC & interest only loans.

Many thanks

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

back into the 150 k loan if it has redraw, and doesnt auto close when it hits zero.

An alternative is to create a CLEAN offset account with nil other cash in it and not used for any other purpose other than the deposit and costs for the IP

Dumping the cash into the 1A offset will cause issues, since the 1B loan will be attracting interest, while the 1A loan gets the benefit of the interest saving

who is the lender pls ?

ta
    rolf

craigc likes this.
  3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

craigc likes this.
  4. MPL

MPL Member

Adelaide

5. MPL

MPL Member

Thanks Terry. I'm going through that channel but unfortunately I can't go for LOC & Interest only.
    So I'm trying to find a way without those.

6. Terry_w

not sure why you say that as there is no distinction tax wise whether using a LOC or PI or IO loan

7. MPL

MPL Member

Sorry I did not mean that there is distinction tax wise but my point was - "The channel that you created for "Tax Tip 1" is possible with only LOC as per my understanding.
    Then banks have only option to deposit that equity amount either in Offset account or nominated savings account but that is completely opposite to Tax Tip1.

8. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The principals are exactly the same for any loan. Never park or move funds through other accounts without understanding the issue. A CLEAN offset is usually (should I say always ?) the best option. It stops the charging of interest so blending isnt even a issue. But could be later but if the offset inst tainted its all fine. Where, any funds dropped into a savings account doesnt stop interest being charged.

9. Terry_w

no

10. PerthEngineeringDraftyGuy

PerthEngineeringDraftyGuy Well-Known Member

Do you have the option to not draw the funds down until you require them for your IP purchase.