Where should I look next?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Jmillar, 23rd Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Jmillar

Jmillar Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

I'm 24, and have 9 properties (2 in NSW, 7 in QLD) and in a position to buy 2-3 more at the moment. It's a bad time to buy in NSW and I have enough exposure in QLD, so wondering where else I should be looking?

I've got a good portfolio of stable properties - this time round, I will want to buy properties that tick at least one of these boxes
    - Significantly below market value
    - Something which I could add value to through renovations
    - Something which I could develop now or in the future. For eg I have an old house near Ipswich which is cashflow neutral but is zoned to put 3 townhouses on, which I plan to do in 5-10 years

My preference is always to buy within 1hr drive of a major CBD - no rural or mining towns etc.

I haven't been following the market much as I've been flat out with work and other things - just wondering peoples' thoughts on where to look next?

Cheers

ndpjai, Perthguy, Gypsyblood and 2 others like this.
  2. Realist35

Realist35 Well-Known Member

Perth in 6-12 months time?

Geelong?

Dave3214 likes this.
  3. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I was going to say to start researching Perth.

Realist35 likes this.
  4. fols

fols Well-Known Member

Outer Melbourne. But need to get your skates on.

MTR, L3ha7 and ashish1137 like this.
  5. fols

fols Well-Known Member

Or Adelaide.

6. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

Agree with perth

Missed geelong, prices havs increased significantly the last 12 months

Ill be looking at some holiday markets as capital city growth normally flows through these markets in the following years

Realist35 likes this.
  7. sash

sash Well-Known Member

....and they were telling me Geelong will not move 12 months ago........

8. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

I will admit i have been a geelong doubter in the past. Especially with the amount of industry falling over there.
    I know they have a housing supply shortage though and its a good alternative for younger couples who dont want a house and land package in melbourne but still want to be able to see family/ friends
    I do think the prices have overshot there though

Realist35 likes this.
  9. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Adelaide now or Perth in maybe 12 months but I would want vacancy rates to come down a little first.

10. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

In addition to places already mentioned Also look at:
    Ballarat
    Launceston

11. Dave3214

Dave3214 Well-Known Member

For a city of a comparatively small area (residential suburbs of Geelong probably spread 20K's North-south and 10 K's east-west) the prices have really risen significantly in the inner areas, which have attracted some Melbourne overflow and seen those areas gentrify (East/West Geelong, Newtown, inner South Geelong). Prices have risen in some cases well beyond $600K for those areas, and also the big houses of Highton and Wandana Heights to a certain extent.

But only a couple of K's further out, especially in a North and East direction, houses can be had for $300K or under. And although i have long belted out my drum of the Norlane/Corio area, geographically they are the closest Geelong suburbs to Melbourne and in those areas houses are easily gettable for the low-mid $200K's.

Given that in my case it merely takes me a few minutes drive to access the amenities that the inner suburban people may walk to, the fact that houses out my way are less than half the price of those inner suburbs (and a 50-55 minute drive to Melbourne), i just feel that there's still value here. Particularly for those numbers, there's nothing inside this distance to Melbourne available in any other direction that has so much access to services and amenities of all kinds. Bear in mind with Geelong, nothing's further than say a 30-minute trip to a coastal beach.

MikeyBallarat likes this.
  12. Northboy

Northboy Well-Known Member

I'd like to hear how you managed to get 9 properties by the age of 24! And how you're in a position to buy 2-3 more, despite the new lending environment. Please share your story if you are happy to.

Personally I would look at Adelaide if I was you. It's a sensible market which tends to grow steadily every year without booms and busts. Lots of opportunities to buy at a good price point, close to the city and with development or reno potential.

Beelzebub likes this.
  13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

love this avatar:p

14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

24 yo and this motivated 9 properties, I am impressed can I introduce you to my daughter...just joking...well done at 24 I was travelling the world...good for you

15. Ko Ko Naing

Ko Ko Naing Well-Known Member

+1 to this as well. Now that API's gone, this forum will be a good place to find those Young Guns. Would love to be inspired, but I'm not that young anymore. :)

16. sash

sash Well-Known Member

It is only starting....the boom has not reached the frenzied level...once it leaves Werribee it will hit Geelong....

17. Hwangers

Hwangers Well-Known Member

well done on 9 by 24 - amazing knock so far and very inspirational !

Brickbybrick likes this.
  18. tomlemke

tomlemke Well-Known Member

Would love to hear a break down of your situation or even asset value and your current lvr.

19. Jmillar

Jmillar Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot guys - I prefer to stay under the radar and keep things private, but essentially it's come down to a lot of hard work. I started researching at around 19, and have worked hard since I was 13 and always saved as much as possible.

I have stuck to the principal of buying properties under market value and/or that have the ability to add value from day one. This allowed me to buy very quickly. I also ensured cashflow was good, to allow me to buy and hold multiple properties.

My income is now fairly high which allows me to continue buying despite the tougher lending conditions.

Hope this helps somewhat...

20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Amazing work, well done:)