Where is the next Sydney ? Margaret Lomas

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by See Change, 14th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. devank

devank Well-Known Member

Yes I do (north side of Brisbane). Unlike Lu or D.T, she is doesn't work in real estate industry.
    Send me a PM with your details if you are interested. I'll pass your details to her. Sorry... without her permission I don't want to mention anything about her.

2. Pipeclay

Pipeclay Active Member

Thanks for the list.

Interestingly the 2012 Hot Spots in QLD and NSW have been destroyed and would likely go down as the worst performing areas in Australia over the subsequent 3 years. I have been burnt by jumping into hot spots - excuse the pun and will now only go for suburbs with long term fundamentals and growth drivers as it seems most of the PC members do.

I wonder if there is a HOT SPOT get it right tally to rate the success of the clairvoyants/experts?

Cheers
    Pipeclay

TMNT likes this.
  3. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

Thanks for your help @devank. I will seriously think about buying interstate property, and will pm you once I have done my homework. the first step is always the biggest step and I am trying to cut loose my cocoon with chainsaw!! :D

ashchay likes this.
  4. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I think they just make it up, if published in a few places and x number jump in, it is a hot spot, but hot spot tells me it is like fire and will go out, may as well bet on the share market as it has an easier in and out.

Slow, continuing, sustainable growth is better than boom then bust.

5. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Yeh, we did :). Settling on the second of our purchases end of the month. Bought side by side blocks ~1456sqm, 34m frontage, stones throw away from the local plaza. See future potential for re-zoning...

We will come back to Sydney again next property cycle =) Looking forward to that!

WattleIdo, Gockie, wombat777 and 2 others like this.
  6. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

The problem with commercially driven hotspots recommendations is that the people who do it are in a business and they release hotspots on an ongoing basis .

Reality is that there are times when it's best to sit on the sidelines .

I'm happy to buy cheap properties in cheap areas l but it's not something I do unless the time is right . For me , that's in the period before a move or at the start of a move .

I don't think that's what the commercial predictors do .

They'll look at Brisbane and think which is likely to be the best performing suburb , with out asking the question , should I be buying in Brisbane ...

I look at the overall timing first and then work out where in a particular market I should buy .

Cliff

7. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

what stupid woman,

Seven towns and cities where you can snap up an investment for less than $400k

so ballarat is back on the hotspot list, after 5 years, well Iguess if you mention every suburb every couple of years, you might get it right within your lifetime,

and broken Hill, WTF!

i think im going to ask my cat for the next hotspot

bobbyj, Perthguy, MTR and 1 other person like this.
  8. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Margaret might have listed Broken Hill as a hot spot but I don't think she would recommend buying there as it wouldn't pass her own '20 Must ask Questions'.

9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Throw a dart, seriously.
    I met an investor who purchased on her recommendations by her team, what is Destiny, they all turned out to be massive duds, no growth and in fact gone backwards. If they went with their gut they would be $600K in front.

Perthguy likes this.
  10. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

So this thread was started in 2015 predicting Brisbane would be the new Sydney. Sydney still going strong.

bob shovel likes this.
  11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

... and I think threads for Brissy growth and Adelaide started in 2013, in the meantime.... Sydney, Melbourne and Perth have all seen boom cycles. Just think about the opportunity lost by missing on these booming markets.

SOULFLY3, JohnPropChat and Perthguy like this.
  12. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

admittedly I did buy and was influenced by her prediction of a golden hot spot about 5 years ago,

its done below average,

ultimately its my responsibility, but hot spot, my butt, expert.....my butt

Perthguy likes this.
  13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Fair enough.

That's why I have an issue with BA because it is based on their opinions and gut, so why not go with your own gut, there are no guarantees they will get it right.

I am sure there are some great BA around, but if you a BA is recommending BUYs in a market which is not booming, flat or going backwards, and there are several markets that are booming, how well does that work for their clients??? I must be getting cynical, or been around too long

RM1827, Biz and SOULFLY3 like this.
  14. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

i hear you, I feel like im becoming an old fart and cyincal in my old age

Ialso think that todays world, it seems reputation and credibility arent important

how or why anyone would listen or allow someone with an atrocious record like that to keep on prediciting is beyond me,

when someone claims to be an expert, Iat least expect a far superior result than throwing darts at a dart board

isnt that why we listen to financial adviosors, or kochie or your personal trainer, or your accountnat or your computer shop rep or anyone whom we rely on to a certain extent??

15. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Hot spots, Chicken spots, G spots. When Y'all gonna realise these people are just selling the sizzle and don't know any better than the average Joe?

joel, jimmy and MTR like this.
  16. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

i still have yet to find the gspot!!! and ive been trying for years :)

NSFW is my comment? :)

17. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

No wonder your missus moved out!

Hanison, jimmy, meme plecko and 5 others like this.
  18. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Should come good in another 5 years ago. Don't beat yourself up about it, there's more to life. Sometime you just gotta play the long play. I bought in Perth last year. I am not expecting any capital growth this decade. It's a long term value add, build potential play.