NSW Where is the 3rd Sydney CBD?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by qonyx_sydney, 27th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Bob Carr's original idea for Sydney was to divest businesses from the CBD and create hubs where people work, live and play in the same area.

Those suburbs marked were:

Campbelltown
    Chatswood
    Liverpool
    Macquarie Park/Ryde
    Newcastle
    Wollongong

and then to create mini hubs in the regionals.

Successive state governments push on residential development may have skewed the plans as the commercial and light industrial parks in North Sydney, St Leonards, Artarmon and West Chatswood are being targeted to be re zoned as residential and those current occupiers are being pushed towards Macquarie, Hills and Liverpool.

Tekoz likes this.
  2. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Agree with your thoughts Sim

3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I think that would be the worst thing they could do to the north shore - the commercial and light industrial areas of St Leonards, Artarmon and West Chatwood employ a huge number of people and provide a lot of essential services.

We are already well above capacity for local infrastructure - especially schools, with no space left to build new ones.

I think there is plenty of room for infill development without rezoning those pockets of light industry that service this area into more high density residential that there is no infrastructure for (and won't be as many jobs for if the industrial area goes).

But anyway - that's probably best left to another thread, not really about CBDs.

4. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

I'd second both Parramatta & Chatswood.

Chatswood for the reasons outlined by Sim but Parramatta for similar reasons with government departments authorities - Sydney Water & RMS have both relocated from the big smoke.

I note that Optus has its HO at North Ryde, so do many pharmaceutical companies & allied health/research organizations. It doesn't have the makings for a cbd.

Liverpool too lacks the commitment from business to give it any real clout.

Artarmon will get a new railway station in its industrial estate as there's a new line planned/announced. What this will mean for the industrial area is anyone's guess (revitalized, rezoned or redeveloped).

Hurtsville (sic), too is a sleeper. Plenty of government offices but not departments.

St Leonards/North Sydney will never be the Centre for government departments (NSW Health is the exception and it has only a couple of years left on its lease/building was due to be fully restored to A grade 2 years ago).

Last edited: 28th Jul, 2015
    Tekoz likes this.
  5. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

Yeah, I always wondering and confused as to why Parramatta is considered as second CBD ?
    Why not North Sydney or Chatswood ?

So I guess, there is a bigger chance that Blacktown will be the third CBD in very near future.
    This is due to close proximity to Parramatta and still in the west area.

6. Simon Hampel

A lot of other tech companies too.

7. Simon Hampel

Parramatta is (roughly) the geographical centre of Sydney, so it makes sense to try and base as much stuff there as you can - should (in theory) be equally accessible from all parts of Sydney.

8. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

yes, and why not North Ryde become the Silicon Valley of Australia as well ?

9. Esh

Esh Well-Known Member

I would assume the rent is too high?? I think Parramatta is 2nd and Chatswood 3rd

10. 380

380 Well-Known Member

Few popular options

Chatswood
    Liverpool

Dark horse

Norwest

11. qonyx_sydney

qonyx_sydney Well-Known Member

Do u think the Norwest could increase density to the level to be considered a cbd

12. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

Do you mean the Norwest business park in Bella Vista or the one near Schofields & Marsden Park ?

13. qonyx_sydney

qonyx_sydney Well-Known Member

Was be developers reply. Id imagine he is thinking of bella vista but i could be wrong

14. Simon Hampel

Personally, I would probably put Norwest business park into the same category as North Ryde ... it's a business park, not a CBD.

To me, a CBD not only has a lot of high density office space, but also has other facilities such as a major retail centre and perhaps even high density residential accommodation. It should also be a major transport hub.

I don't really see North Ryde or Norwest business park fitting into that definition.

Tekoz likes this.
  15. 380

380 Well-Known Member

It may not have higer density but those McMansions on cottage block some what makes it up.

For me,and as I understand, cbd means central business district and I see plenty busienss slowly moving in norwest. Just as north ryde as @Simon Hampel said.

Thus,I put that in to dark horse category.. May or may not happen.

ej89 and Tekoz like this.
  16. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

Chatswood is way too close to the CBD to be the third CBD but would have to be the third I guess.. If you exclude Chatswood due to its proximity to sydney cbd..

Imo it's Liverpool, then Penrith then Campbelltown. Penrith has universities and hospitals as well as a heck of a lot of jobs coming up. Liverpool has a lot of medical jobs. Private and public hospital as well as a kazillion medical centres. Same as Campbelltown plus a big uni.

Blacktown has a lot of potential. It's central to west and northwest.
    Rouse Hill has a lot of potential to be the cbd of northwest with Box Hill business park, a train line with high density commercial and residential around it and a new hospital being announced soon.
    Norwest is business park, private hospital, my big church, tiny shopping centre and mcmansions. Lots of potential too depending on how many high rise resi's they can put in there. Still lots of space around the lake where theres a new private day surgery

17. Sashatheman

Sashatheman Well-Known Member

So Shalvey? :D

RetireRich101 likes this.
  18. Sashatheman

Sashatheman Well-Known Member

Well Blacktown is getting the highest residential tower anywhere west of Parramatta at 24 stories high. So more high rises are to be expected in the future.
    http://www.altitudeblacktown.com.au/

Tekoz likes this.
  19. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

Would be smart to plan our third city around the Badgerys creek airport. There's lot of land and they can be proactive about it. Already a huge science park going into Luddenham and they're trying to attract google and paypal there

qonyx_sydney and Sashatheman like this.