NSW Where in Sydney will outperform from 2016-2020?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Steven Ryan, 30th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Divorce? Because who would willingly sell in that scenario?

2. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Will let you know the reason...but it was rented out for a while. I think the owner has had it over 10 years. so probably taking profits now.

Lots like that going on the market...and getting passed in at auction...see below...can't believe the one in Cove St was not bought....thar you go!

http://www.domain.com.au/news/plumm...k-for-sydney-property-market-20151018-gkbz17/

The Northwest and West should prove to be interesting late next year.....

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Unfortunately this is not how boom/bust cycles work, a bust cycle can be as much as falls of 20%+, don't wish to be negative but this fact.

what happened in the last bust cycle in Syd? even blue chip fell in price and took many years to recover.

Some investor become desperate especially when interest rate start to rise and they find it difficult to service debt and have no choice but to sell

4. Gockie

Could be. I'm just not ready to cash out. And my IPs are bread and butter $500k - $650k price bracket properties. Affordable mid range, fairly easy to sell in any market.

They are all worth well and truly above purchase price.
    I don't see interest rates hurting me in the near future for the Sydney properties either, its not going to go up anytime soon.

5. neK

neK Well-Known Member

The areas with the light rail are already serviced by buses. As sash said above, the light rail was already factored into the price.

6. Gockie

Well, in that case, take the light rail away... do you think the local owners will like that idea?

neK likes this.
  7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

you got the timing right and they are cash flow positive, great, you don't need to sell, depending on your strategy.
    I was pointing out the fact that bust cycles means property values drop that's about it

8. Gockie

All good. :)
    Well, yes, they drop, but oddly, Sydney hasn't had a drop for a while.... 2004-2005 was a drop but most of Sydney had single digit % drops only. But some parts of Sydney went backwards much more than others, absolutely, and some areas took much longer to recover.

The top and the bottom of the market are possibly more susceptible?

9. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Awkie...where do you own in Siyyydneeee??

10. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Did the miss the part where i said the light rail was already factored into the price? Do i really need to answer that question? :rolleyes:

Are you saying is that having a light rail in an area already serviced by buses will make it impervious to price drops? Interesting.

11. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Light rail = another 20% gain....in a market which has effectively more than doubled in less than 7 years...;)

neK likes this.
  12. Gockie

Nah.. but that's why the light rail is a factor... you know they could decide to pull out the North West Rail link... property prices will plumet. Just like they announced the Parramatta - Epping - Chatswood line, off that info the property prices between Parramatta and Epping was building and gaining momentum. Then the government pulled out of the Parramatta to Epping section. House prices in the affected area stagnated.
    So you really do have to hope that the infrastructure gets built... don't count your chickens...

@sash... Darlington, West Ryde, Greenacre and the PPOR in the beautiful North Epping is where I own in Sydney.

Greenacre is well supported by the Muslim community with the school there, and has gone up heaps since I bought it in 2010.

West Ryde is simply quite popular as a spot as you would know with Meadowbank. Very easy access with trains to the city in no more than 35 minutes but also easy to get to Parramatta by direct bus on Victoria Rd.

Darlington is right next to Redfern and Chippendale, extremely well located, walking distance to Sydney Uni, UTS, Broadway, the city, Newtown....

North Epping is just a very quiet and desirable place surrounded by bushland... though the Chinese money has all but gone!

Last edited: 2nd Nov, 2015
  13. sash

sash Well-Known Member

are they all unit??

14. Gockie

2 units, a townhouse and a house.

15. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Here are my thoughts.

Count on the all them dropping in value as part of the normal cycle.

As for the house ..if it is in North Epping...then I would expect it to drop more than the others....

16. Gockie

Yeah... well I could possibly gotten 1.6m at the very peak with the crazy Chinese!!**... probably now 1.3m something is the current worst case scenario. But a townhouse in the area sold for 1.308m 2 or maybe 3 weeks ago... not too much land there. I think that's crazy money for something so small... but hey, it (my PPOR) has doubled from purchase price so i'm still laughing. :D I don't think it would drop to less than 1.2m... I don't have the crystal ball though.

**ps. I'm Chinese myself... no racism here!!

So.... are you renting or living in a PPOR these days yourself?

17. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

18. sash

sash Well-Known Member

I hate everyone equally... ;)

That is a pretty good portfolio...when did you buy the others...did they double in value also??

I think Greenacre will be pretty safe...it did a more gradual rise....

19. Gockie

West Ryde was bought in 2011 but at a crazy good price (interstate vendor). Doubled in value.

Darlington relatively recently just in 2014 but again, a really good price... there was no other interest, got a good deal. I was wanting to buy in Parramatta then but the prices were already stupid. I needed to get into Parramatta a few years earlier. But that's hindsight.

20. Gockie