Where does Australia find it's wealth next?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by JamesP, 17th Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

In my opinion @Perthguy engagement is key. Engagement with parents and school and kids as a community.

Angel and Perthguy like this.
  2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Spot on. Getting kids engaged leads to much better educational outcomes. Parents too

3. hieund85

hieund85 Well-Known Member

Not all schools have buses. I would not want my young kid (5-10 yo) walk to and from school alone or without adult supervision.

4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Our friend hadn't mentioned a five year old at the time. Of course I realise the difference now. If the school operates an Outside School Hours Care facility, I would still expect the parents to use it. These services didn't exist when I had my children at school - I had to stay out of the workforce until my children were older. My care factor for whining first world families these days is quite low, especially when they earn a higher income than I do or they live in Sydney and refuse to relocate to a more affordable community.

Back in the olden days, last century, we would walk to primary school in groups of kids as our mothers didn't walk with us. They were at home breast feeding the babies, cooking from scratch and washing clothes in the copper boiler with the hand wringers. I am so old that my mother never had a car until I was at high school and by then I had been getting myself off to ballet and music lessons in the city on my own anyway (yeah, privileged, I know). I am also young enough that my mother got a job once my brother and I were at high school, in the mid1970s, and she loved the freedom of buying her own transport.

The rate of little girls abducted on their way to school, and murdered, doesn't seem to be any different now than what it was back then.

This thread is evolving!

cue Perthguy

5. hieund85

hieund85 Well-Known Member

The area that I live is pretty safe but I still do not want to leave the kid walking alone, you never know what will happen. Even it is only 0.0001%.
    Schools do provide before and after school care which we do not need to use all the time since my wife is on a casual job while I have pretty flexible working hours. However, our friends who both on full time job find it very hard even they use the before and after hour care all weekdays. They leave home at 6.45am and come back at 6.30pm, just in time to drop off and pick up their kids. With 2kids at school, the total fees is not much lower than the net income of one parent. I still think the school hours need to be extended a little bit such as 8-4 but then teachers should also be paid more for doing that.

Illusivedreams likes this.
  6. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

I think only parents with current kids in primary school understand.
    Although different generations have different challenges.

The role of schools must change.

The reason it does not .

It's too cushy for teachers to support this.
    The union is too strong.

Parents feel powerless.

Disruption especially in primary school is a key to gender equality.

Yet the dominant female primary employed school staff will not support this.

7. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

This is where private schools come in handy (though not cheap).

My kids need to be dropped off at the nearest bus stop at 7:45am for school bus pick up and we pick them up around 5:30pm from school as they have extra curriculars 5 days a week that means after school care isn’t required. This routine allows both parents to work normal jobs - cost around $40k for both kids.

Illusivedreams likes this.