Where do you want to retire?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Jeah_, 24th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

Now you're talking @Blacky! I was thinking that one year I should pick up an IP in the snow there and have some tax deductible inspection trips each January!

ellejay likes this.
  2. wogitalia

wogitalia Well-Known Member

Punta Cana would be right up there for me. Weather is outstanding, beaches are outstanding, golf courses are even better, it's a short flight to a ton of great places (Bahamas, Vegas, Miami, Mexico, Jamaica and the like).

Unfortunately retirement is still a distant dream... or one Powerball ;)

3. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

I recommend Malaysia, now there's a My Second Home package introduced by the local government there which you can get 10 years visa if you buy a house or put a 100k term deposit (local dollar).

In KL, you can get super luxurious five bedrooms condo facing Petronas Twin Towers with a one bedder price in melbourne, and yes, it's the real luxury lifestyle we are talking here.... unlike those in Australia, where they put some crappy treadmills and some fake vertical garden and an extra toilet and asks for a million bucks.

Local food is amazing, with huge variety of selections from Chinese, Malay, Indian, Korean, japanese, you name it. Weather is summer all year round, night life is vibrant, plenty of cheap foods, cheap labours, you can hire a maid and yes theres a maid room comes with every condo, they even have ensuite lol.

Soul likes this.
  4. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Ive spent a lot of time looking at property in Japan. Mostly its just dreaming :p

We are off there for a couple of weeks in Jan. Will be looking closely at what is available. I would love to alternate between Japan and Australia.

Blacky

C-mac and ellejay like this.
  5. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

@ATANG the cost of an apartment 5 bedroom in KLCC since it is facing petronas twin towers area for a 1 bedder price in mebourne? 5 bedders in KLCC is close to RM10-25 million which is AUD5-8 million i think u are dividing it possibly by 10.

how i know i have previously own in K residence many years ago which is directly opposite KLCC it is around the RM2.5 million which is give or take AUD670K and it is not even a 4 bedroom. a 1 bedroom price in melbourne CBD is around anything around AUD270-450K unrenovated or max AUD500K. for a milion dollars - you can buy in freshwater place 1 bedders for less than AUD600K which has the best views in the city and swimming pool on the top floors overlooking the yarra. Malaysia has the most overheated property market and has more unsold apartments in KL area and the median income can't sustain these kind of prices.

6. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

There are a lot of places where you can get KLCC view, it doesn't have to be right in KLCC. Also you can get old units at really cheap price. Also it depends on the size. The super expensive ones are those ranging from 3000 sqft to 10,000 sqft. You can easily get something around 2000sqft with five rooms. Look at:

But again, it's up to everyone eyes what they like.

7. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

@ATANG i have friends who are developers in KL. and the word is no one is buying. rentals down. KLCC views even from a 115 sqm loft apartment in SS2 on top of tropicana mall or KL Sentral (suasana lofts) is still more expensive than a 1 bed in here. i wouldn't even consider older apartments build in 90s. Melbourne still is hands down superior to KL any day.

8. timetoact

timetoact Well-Known Member

For me it is a harbour view apartment in Sydney and a yacht in the med for euro summer.

bob shovel likes this.
  9. adrian_christian

adrian_christian Well-Known Member

We have a love for food, wine and water so anywhere around Margaret River has huge appeal. Or anywhere around Portsea/Sorrento in Vic, in Sydney the pipe dream would be The Toaster or beachfront at Palm Beach. One can only dream!

Outside of Australia, we are living in Mauritius right now with $2 beers and endless sunsets, or with my wife's Irish background, some of those pubs and craic in Ireland are legendary.

ellejay likes this.
  10. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Adrian - are you working in Mauritius? or just on extended break?
    If the former - what are you doing?

Blacky

11. adrian_christian

adrian_christian Well-Known Member

I'm on an expat contract here with one of the local telcos.. But with 50% of the hours I used to work in Australia... Sadly will probably come to an end late 2016 so I have to go back to the Rat Race in Australia unless I can keep the train chugging in places like Qatar, Dubai, etc where they like Anglophile expats.. It's amazing quality of life here, the last three years have transformed my young family.

12. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

anywhere. decent ppor. as long as I don't have to move ever again!

13. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

Current PPOR would do just fine - but with a dual occupancy type set up.

However current plan is to downsize to an IP so that we don't have to pay CGT - but that only happens when all other funding sources are expired !

14. Soul

Soul Well-Known Member

+1
    Italian riviera, best climate and decent location. travel to Amalfi, Sicliy or catch a high speed rail to other European countries
    -Villages between Lucerne and Interlaken in Switzerland are like heaven, but too cold in winter

15. Soul

Soul Well-Known Member

International Living was stating that ozzies are moving to Belize, Panama, Thailand or Malaysia for early / mini retirements. Chaing Mai was quite pouplar a few years ago.

16. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    Jamie Moore likes this.
  17. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Nice! I'm just going to save this thread.

18. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

I'm retiring in 4 weeks (but who's counting?). We plan on travelling A LOT for the next 2 years. We will alternate between spending time driving around Australia (heading north for winter, Tassie for summer) and going on cruises. I also have a few more Eurpoesn countries to tick off my list.
    After that, who knows. I'd like to spend 3 months in Spain and Portugal.

I'd like to have a base on the beach. I have friends living in Bali and I do love it. Not sure if I'd like to live there though.

bob shovel and Blacky like this.
  19. freyja

freyja Well-Known Member

AH - Berlin! I could definitely live in Berlin.

ADLInvestor likes this.
  20. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

Good idea. I am sure you weren't ignoring me before but I really do want photos.

Jamie Moore likes this.