Where do I check for stock dividends?

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Zammy, 23rd Sep, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Zammy

Zammy Well-Known Member

I bought FLT stock couple of years back from SelfWealth. I remember they sending me a letter explaining about registration for dividends etc which I shortly lost.

Now I do not know how can I even check whether I have been paid dividends or not. I am not expecting it but just wanted to know.

how does this work generally?

Apologies for a basic question. I am new to investing in general.

2. qak

qak Well-Known Member

Zammy likes this.
  3. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Find the website for the share registrar. In this case Computershare. You should be able to log in with your HIN, then find a payment history.

Zammy likes this.
  4. Zammy

Zammy Well-Known Member

Thank you so much guys. I was able to login and check.

Redwing and qak like this.
  5. Burramys

Burramys Well-Known Member

The advice above is excellent. You can also look at Dividend History - Flight Centre Travel Group
    The last dividend was in 2019, unsurprising as flights have been grounded.

This is a good resource for finding dividends that will be paid. Upcoming Dividends - Morningstar.com.au
    In the reporting season I look once or twice a week for my shares and add the dividends to my accounting software. This allows me to more accurately calculate cashflow. It's also simpler and more secure to look at one website that to log onto a registry.

The dividends will be paid to your bank, and if you have not advised of a bank the registry will be in touch. Of course it's always possible to make a mistake and advise the registry of the wrong account.

6. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Redwing and Colin Rice like this.
  7. Zammy

Zammy Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot guys. Great info.

8. Zammy

Zammy Well-Known Member

Solid info. Thank you.
    Can I buy shares before the dividend date and be eligible for dividends. Is that a good strategy?

9. Ruby Tuesday

Ruby Tuesday Well-Known Member

Yes and no, Generally no. It depends on what you are trying to achieve. The share price usually drops after going ex div and you can get a 50% tax discount on CG. You may be paying more with after tax dollars, so you may need to earn a lot more to buy the same amount of shares before ex div. The Div increases your tax. On the other hand the DIv may help wiith service ability and securing tax efficient loan/property.

10. Burramys

Burramys Well-Known Member

Ruby Tuesday has good advice. A lot depends on the overall strategy. I look for undervalued companies that look like doing well in the long term with good dividends. By holding such companies there's a good chance of bigger dividends over time. One company i bought nearly 30 years ago for $2.78 pays around a dollar a year in dividends, a low DY on the current price but 35% on the buy price, with the total dividends around 7X what I paid. Add the share price of over 10X what I paid and I'm happy. With a low DY and increasing EPS the dollar amount of dividends will rise. If there's another GFC or crash like March 2020 I'm buying, and the mortgage will have to wait.

Bother, cannot get the song Ruby Tuesday out of my mind.

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.